Thread: First time adventures with 10 gal / 35 liters aquarium to paludarium conversion..

DIY Medicine Man

Red face First time adventures with 10 gal / 35 liters aquarium to paludarium conversion..

Hello friendly frog people!

As I've already described in my introduction post, my first intention was to build a controlled environment out of my old fish aquarium, for my new orchids, bromeliads, and some carnivorous plants.. But, my search for Do It Yourself instructions brought me here, and I must confess, I've got interested pretty fast.. =)

Nevertheless, first plan still stays the same.. after that, if it will be done good enough to house some animals/frogs also, even better.. But I don't wanna hurt them, or make them uncomfortable, so small steps are the right way! I am sure you will be a great judge on that.

Now to the building part and my first questions:

Measures of tank are: 50 cm (w) x 25 cm (d) x 30 cm (h) / 19,7 inch x 9,9 inch x 12 inch

I know it is a small tank but I want to make it with automated systems to maintain moisture, temperature, and light management. Also, and I know this will be the hardest part in such a small space, background with running water over it and a small pond on bottom.

For materials, I was thinking of using Styrofoam, glued together and sculpted in desired shapes. This way I can keep the weight down and make all the space I need for pumps etc. on the inside of the background. For covering it and texture, first thing that came to my mind was grout used for ceramic tiles, maybe mixed with few additives for color and specific texture. Additional painting can be done with ordinary water colors or acrylics. Finally, I am thinking of sealing it with sealer for grout, which is used in kitchens and bathrooms, so I guess it is animal safe.. =)

my first questions are:

• Did I choose the right materials?
    • Do you plant your plants directly in medium or you make a place for pots so you can change/remove them if needed?
    • Do you think I will need a filter or can I achieve a perfect balance with right plants and animals so it will "clean"/maintain mostly itself?
    • Is it even possible to do all this in a 10 gal tank or am I just dreaming?

Thank you for your kind reply and knowledge in advance, and sorry if I am asking stupid things.. it's my first time doing anything similar to this.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: First time adventures with 10 gal / 35 liters aquarium to paludarium conversion..

From what I've heard 10gal would be just enough for a pair of dart frogs (see here: How to Build a Poison Frog Terrarium, but it's going to be a little hard to decorate because of the size. You'll need to use space wisely. I think a 10 gal would also work for a pacman, I've heard those don't need much space, but those frogs tend to uproot plants. Styrofoam sounds okay as building material, not sure about the grout sealer. Someone else could tell you better.

4. This member thanks elly for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: First time adventures with 10 gal / 35 liters aquarium to paludarium conversion..

Wait, I remember in your other post you wanted to keep a native species. I'm not sure what species you have but I do know most frogs need more than 10gal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Edit: For anyone trying to help, here's a list of 13 frogs native to Slovenia: http://www.keytonature.eu/wiki/Frogs...Slovenia_(PMSL) It looks like Firebelly Toads are native if I'm reading this right. Those could definitely fit in a 10gal/40liter tank: http://www.frogforum.net/content/fir...relatives-123/

6. This member thanks elly for this post:

DIY Medicine Man

Wow..!

I have just discovered that we have quiet an expert on frogs here in Slovenia. I guess I should get his number and go visit him for some advice also and to see his setups in person.

Here is a link to TV show about him that I've found and was aired not long ago..
    http://videoweb.rtvslo.si/archive4/2...105-SLO1_1.mp4

Thread Information