Thread: Needing advice

Sueshee

Default Needing advice

I have a 30 gal tall freshwater tank with 2 albino tutti frutti frogs I also have fish in there and ALL IS GREAT . water levels are good the nitrites was up yesterday. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if she looks healthy. she has not eaten in a few days & has been staying at the top more then usual & does not seem as skidish as she normally would when I open the lid. I will post some pictures.Name:  frohouse.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  33.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images        

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tongue Flicker

Default Re: Needing advice

Well she looks healthy and normal to me. Any idea on her age? She might be ovulating. Some female animals go off-feed when they're ovulating

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Is there a reason for Nitrites to be present? Did you recently replaced the filter pads or cleaned them in anything but tank water?
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Tongue Flicker

Oh and i just noticed it now, there's a land plant in your tank. I'm seeing a Pilea leaf lol

To answer your question: Yeah, I think your frog looks healthy. Looks can be deceiving, but a few days off food isn't cause for concern (yet). There is a chance she is impacted, but it's not terribly obvious (more on that below).

Now I wouldn't be a good frog owner/forum member if I didn't mention a couple other things.
    1) You really don't want any nitrites in the water? Any idea what is causing that? How often do you change the water?
    2) Tuti fruti is not a type of frog. You purchased regular albino ACFs that were dip dyed before arriving at the pet shop. It's not a practice that is highly regarded in the frog community because it may be harmful (depending on the method and dye product) and it encourages impulse buys at pet stores. The dyed skin eventually sheds and the frogs will return to the normal albino color.
    3) I would recommend removing the small gravel from your tank as this poses a dangerous impaction risk. ACF will greedily gobble down whatever they suspect is food (anything small enough to get in the mouth!). I've seen these guys pick up gravel and spit it out, but there are many cases of them swallowing it and becoming impacted. Which will often lead to death. Bare-bottom or fine sand is the safest way for these frogs. I'm glad you haven't experience trouble yet, but the threat is there.
    4) What kind of fish do you have and how long have they been with the frogs? The frogs will try to eat fish (even if the fish are clearly too large) and this can result in injury or worse for both animals.
    5) Lastly I would recommend adding some shelter/shade options for the frogs. That light is very bright and these guys (especially albino) are sensitive to light and prefer darker conditions.

Keep an eye on the frog's vent to see if it starts to look swollen or reddened. This could signal an impaction.

Sueshee

They are 5-6 months old.

Sueshee

Yes I have several types of plants in with them. & the are pretty good actually with not rising them lol. I took some out of the gravel since she is up at the top more, that way she has hiding up there. & I put a house above the plants to cover it as well. She seems to like it there.

Sueshee

Thank you for writing I really appreciate it. If she is impacted by gravel, She most likely will not pass it huh ? I kindly appreciate all that is said to me, Thank You! I always rinse my filter before adding it. But I did not do it this time. As for changing the water, I will every few weeks. I do NOT do a whole water change, I will vacuum the bottom until about 8 inches down give or take some. I am aware of the tutti frutti as it is albino, I do not like the fact of the dyeing thing but I sadly thought they are injected with the dye. I added my frogs after I had the fish. I have some tiger barbs,giant danios a pleco and I forgot the other one. The frogs seem to have no interest in them. I added some rosey red minnows & they went after them. I now found out to not feed them though. I turn on the light when I feed the fish & to give the plants some light. But the frogs do have darkness for when the light is on. & her vent looks like a girls vent as I seen on photos & as for reddened or swollen I myself really does not know if it is a normal look or not for her. Another thing I`d like to add is, I hand feed them mostly they are very familiar with me, one of them always swims in the palm of my hand & just lays in there lol in the water that is. & they let me with no problem pet them and rub them.

Thread Information