Thread: Thinking of combining fish and ACF tanks

Lordpet

Default Thinking of combining fish and ACF tanks

Hello,

I have an ACF named stretchy currently living with a plant in a 20 gallon tank. I was recently given a 55 gallon tank that came with 3 tiger barbs, 3 danios, two gouramis, and a bristle nose pleco. I also have 2 angelfish, a bala shark, a pleco and a Mollie in a 29 tall. I also have a yellow bellied slider in a 40 gallon breeder.

So originally I was thinking of combining the fish tanks, but the tiger barbs and danios may be too aggressive for the fish in the 29 gallon (angelfish etc). I was going to trade in the aggressive fish and move the angelfish and friends to the 55 gallon. What if I moved the frog to the 55 gallon instead? Would he be able to coexist with the other fish? What about water temp and other variables? The more I think about it, the more I'd like Stretchy plus another frog or two in the 55 gallon with a good amount of plants and fish.

Anyway, I'm in early stages of plotting this out. My priorities are on maintaining the health of Stretchy and the Angelfish. I'm not liking the aggressiveness of the new fish, but maybe they would work with the frogs. I suppose I could throw them in with the turtle, but that seems mean. I definitely want to cut down on the number of tanks I have to maintain, so some sort of combination will happen.

any ideas welcome.

cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Thinking of combining fish and ACF tanks

Aggressive fish and frogs do not mix. The frogs will try to eat any fish (even if they seem to big) and the fish will bully or scare the frogs. I'd recommend keeping the frog separate and (not that you specifically mentioned it) never put a frog with a turtle!
    I have seen tiger barbs live peacefully with sliders. So you might give that a try.

Sueshee

I have 2 acf`s & fish in a 30 tall. The only fish they have eaten was the fish I put in there for them to eat.& I have had the frogs 6 months. I have tiger barbs,giant danios,a pleco, and I forgot the other one. I had a black molly in there before too & they did not eat it. Do you know of a good quiet filter? one that does not hum the poor aquarium.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

This issue about mixing frogs with fish has been discussed to death already in forum . Most ACF will eat any fish it can get into it's mouth. If a small Pleco or Cory catfish get's lodged in frog's throat it will probably kill it. Exposing frogs to fish could get frog in contact with new pathogens it has no resistance for. And finally; big aggressive fish can attack your frog .

Those are the risks; it's up to you to avoid them or not.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lordpet View Post
    Hello,

I have an ACF named stretchy currently living with a plant in a 20 gallon tank. I was recently given a 55 gallon tank that came with 3 tiger barbs, 3 danios, two gouramis, and a bristle nose pleco. I also have 2 angelfish, a bala shark, a pleco and a Mollie in a 29 tall. I also have a yellow bellied slider in a 40 gallon breeder.

So originally I was thinking of combining the fish tanks, but the tiger barbs and danios may be too aggressive for the fish in the 29 gallon (angelfish etc). I was going to trade in the aggressive fish and move the angelfish and friends to the 55 gallon. What if I moved the frog to the 55 gallon instead? Would he be able to coexist with the other fish? What about water temp and other variables? The more I think about it, the more I'd like Stretchy plus another frog or two in the 55 gallon with a good amount of plants and fish.

Anyway, I'm in early stages of plotting this out. My priorities are on maintaining the health of Stretchy and the Angelfish. I'm not liking the aggressiveness of the new fish, but maybe they would work with the frogs. I suppose I could throw them in with the turtle, but that seems mean. I definitely want to cut down on the number of tanks I have to maintain, so some sort of combination will happen.

any ideas welcome.

cheers
    Let me give you some advice from my experience with mixing other aquatic life with african clawed frogs.

1. Freshwater shrimps such as ghost shrimp -- survived weeks/months but all eventually eaten by the frogs. (I liked having a cleaning crew, but the frogs also like shrimp so...)
    2. Small fish such as guppies, mollies, danios -- all eaten within days by the frogs. (I used to breed these as feeders for my frogs but it's not really safe to do so I stopped)
    3. Ramshorn and pond snails -- no matter how many I add, even a dozen or more they're all eaten within 24 hours. (Thought these would survive but the frogs hunt them down immediately)

You're right, it's cruel to throw these fish in with the turtle. By that same admission it's also cruel to keep these fish with the frogs or keeping any aggressive fish with frogs. If you enjoy both these animals why would you want to add possible stress or subject them to predators? Would you want to be locked in a room with a tiger?

Unless you want your frogs to eat the fish or you want your frogs to be maimed/stressed/killed by aggressive fish, why do any of these things? ACF are fine on their own and perfectly amusing pets on their own merit.

Lisa0820

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    Let me give you some advice from my experience with mixing other aquatic life with african clawed frogs.

1. Freshwater shrimps such as ghost shrimp -- survived weeks/months but all eventually eaten by the frogs. (I liked having a cleaning crew, but the frogs also like shrimp so...)
    2. Small fish such as guppies, mollies, danios -- all eaten within days by the frogs. (I used to breed these as feeders for my frogs but it's not really safe to do so I stopped)
    3. Ramshorn and pond snails -- no matter how many I add, even a dozen or more they're all eaten within 24 hours. (Thought these would survive but the frogs hunt them down immediately)

You're right, it's cruel to throw these fish in with the turtle. By that same admission it's also cruel to keep these fish with the frogs or keeping any aggressive fish with frogs. If you enjoy both these animals why would you want to add possible stress or subject them to predators? Would you want to be locked in a room with a tiger?

Unless you want your frogs to eat the fish or you want your frogs to be maimed/stressed/killed by aggressive fish, why do any of these things? ACF are fine on their own and perfectly amusing pets on their own merit.
    I have always had fish with my African Dwarf frogs in my 29 gal. They have not eaten any of the fish nor the baby guppies. I do provide hiding places for both.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa0820 View Post
    I have always had fish with my African Dwarf frogs in my 29 gal. They have not eaten any of the fish nor the baby guppies. I do provide hiding places for both.
    You have the species of frog being discussed here confused.

ADF = African Dwarf Frog (hymenochirus) / slow moving, very small aquatic frog, far too small to eat community fish
    ACF = African Clawed Frog (xenopus) / *adult human fist sized* highly predatory frog that will eat *anything* it can fit in it's mouth..

They look similar when young but african clawed frogs are a totally different species, much larger, more aggressive and they will devour anything, even smaller clawed frogs.

Lisa0820

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    You have the species of frog being discussed here confused.

ADF = African Dwarf Frog (hymenochirus) / slow moving, very small aquatic frog, far too small to eat community fish
    ACF = African Clawed Frog (xenopus) / *adult human fist sized* highly predatory frog that will eat *anything* it can fit in it's mouth..

They look similar when young but african clawed frogs are a totally different species, much larger, more aggressive and they will devour anything, even smaller clawed frogs.
    Thank you for the clarification. This may be why my questions have not been answered.

Lordpet

I'm just going to combine the fish tanks, trade out the tiger barbs and danios, and try to get live plants going. I need to get a bigger turtle tank soon and then I'll upgrade the frogs to his current tank. Thanks for replies!

Thread Information