Thread: Something seems to be wrong?

taniaaust1

Default Something seems to be wrong?

Im concerned about a frog and my pond and dont know what if anything is wrong.

This morning I had two big dead like leapord? slugs floating in it (but these seem to be aquatic and leapord slugs arent supposed to be so I dont know exactly what kind of slug they are but Ive been watching them moving around in the pond or up pond sides for at least a week). I cant figure out why a big one of those and a littler one, suddenly died in the pond today.

Then this evening, one of my new baby frogs (from tabpoles Ive had in the pond since last xmas) was sitting on the rock in the pond, rubbing its eyes over and over and then with its back legs, rubbing its stomach (as if it has belly ache) and it was also then opening and shutting its mouth over and over (maybe gasping a little). Making me wonder if it is soon to die. When I went to catch thou to isolate it to further keep eye on it, it jumped back into the water so I dont know where its gone now thou may find it later (unless its died now at pond bottom). The baby frog had been growing well past few days and had possibly doubled its size but now this.

I top up the pond regularly and I also water plants around it from the pond water so there shouldnt be a build up of any bad stuff in it. I also dechlorinate any water I add to the pond before adding it in. Ive had this bathtub pond going on since start of the year and till now have had no issues with it at all, all the frogs coming out have been healthy (thou disappeared soon after).

I did add in a dead or nearly completely dead and dried out hibiscus branch a few days ago into the pond, to give the latest batch of new frogs (I hadnt had any of the tabpoles turning to frogs since the beginning of the year) a place to sit before they climb out as they arent treefrogs. I dont think hibiscus is poisonous? as I know we can eat the flowers of it. I've also had a hibiscus branch in the pond before with no issues at all.

Any ideas at all what could be wrong?

I do have a lot of natural pond life there of late.. maybe it ate somethign too big for it? I currently have like those things like dragon fly nymph climbing out of the water in the past few days..maybe its choking on one of those?? (something seemed to be moving around in its stomach). I also have massive worms in the pond.. and snails)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tongue Flicker

Default Re: Something seems to be wrong?

The slugs were probably mating and laying eggs? That was their last chance of mating i guess.

As for the frog, that sounded like how a frog sheds his old skin and is practically normal.

Hibiscus isn't toxic but their wood decays faster than most wood. Have you taken off the bark before putting it in?

Does your pond water smell funny? Other than that I think you may have a perfectly healthy pond that is experiencing some current climate changes (i'm thinking Au is hot this time of the year?)

taniaaust1

Default Re: Something seems to be wrong?

ah shedding skin. Maybe that was it then, it had grown heaps in only a couple of days since it went to a frog. I havent seen a frog shed its skin before. In the end, Im not sure if I saw that one again or not, it may be out there right now. I currently have 3 frogs out there sitting on a rock, I put a slater onto the rock and they were all sitting there in a row (I wish I hadnt left my camera at my sisters), watching it (along with 2 froglets interested in it too), all watching as if hypnotized. They looked real funny.. then one went after it.

One of the two new ones on rock for first time completely out of water today.. was sitting there with with a tail longer then its body and trying to go after another bug I put on the rock but its tail was kind of slowing it down and getting in its way as it tried to jump after the bug lol. (I thought they werent supposed to usually eat at this point. That froglet Im not sure what kind of frog it is, its bigger then the new frogs and a different colour and seems more aggressive).

The slugs in my pond thou are continuing to die. Two more dead yesterday including a baby one. The worms in my pond thou seem to be healthy and fine. It's still strange but the frogs and froglets I have out there now are all looking very healthy.

Hibiscus isn't toxic but their wood decays faster than most wood. Have you taken off the bark before putting it in?
    Thanks for confirming that for me. No I didnt take off the outter bank. It wouldnt just pull off as it isnt peeling.

I havent noticed any funny or yucky smell at my pond (I sit out there watching the frogs a lot) so I'd assume the water doesnt smell at all. My pond water is clear, I can see bottom of pond where plants arent blocking the view (thou some days it does go green, then a few days later will be back to clear water again. I wonder why it does that).

I have been taking out the big dead slugs, one of them looked gastly, all bloating up and floating on top of the pond, I left two little dead slugs in there as I was wondering if anything in the pond would want to eat them, one of them at least is still there today so I'll remove it.

Yeah Australia is heating up right now. That was my other thought that maybe the heat was getting to that new frog, it was a hot day that day, we are just starting to get hot days. The pond water thou still felt cool.

Thanks, you've put my mind at ease. That frog was probably just shedding its skin.

Thread Information