Thread: African Dwarf Frogs female or male?

flipper

Default African Dwarf Frogs female or male?

Here's Flipper III

And Here's the new frog I got unnamed:

Are they of the same Sex or different? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: African Dwarf Frogs female or male?

Woah. I don't keep ADFs and I'm not terribly familiar with sexing them. But Flipper looks very thin. Emaciated even. What and how often are you feeding him/her? How old is it?
    He looks skeletal with every bone and joint protruding! His left knee looks particularly bad. At first I thought these were photos of a dead frog....
    I think you should set up a hospital tank and try to get some nutrition into this guys asap.

flipper

Default Re: African Dwarf Frogs female or male?

He is much healthier now. I was feeding him live brine shrimp and as it turns out live brine shrimp have little to no nutrients in them, just fiber. The fish store owner misinformed me. In turn both of my frog got really skinny. Sandy one of my other frogs same age as Flipper III 8 years old died when he got so skinny he wouldn't eat anything, caught some infection. I tried to cure him using the salt treatment but he just couldn't take it. So I researched why they were so skinny and found a much better food option for them, Hikari gut loaded frozen food. Much easier to store to seeing half of the brine shrimp I kept in my feeding tank died before I was able to feed them. All of them would die and 3 days would go by not being able to feed them well a new shipment came in.

The new frog (unnamed frog) I got to give flipper III a new buddy after Sandy's death. The new frog actually died yesterday. I was keeping them separated until I knew they were the same sex but for some reason he just died. The PH was fine, he was in a 10 gallon tank, water temperature was fine. When I found him I thought he was alive until I poked him. His eyes were bloodshot red, mouth was bloody and he was frozen standing still at the bottom of the tank, not upside down or anything. The water I use is spring water. I fed him the same bloodworms. I had a feeling he was sick when I got him because his legs were a little red but I assumed that was just his natural colors seeing some frogs are a little pink.

Rest assured, I take great care of my frogs. It's just been tough transitioning from those horrible dry pellets Flipper's been on for the past 7 years filled with a bunch of preservative, soy, yuck!. If your wondering what happened to the other two flippers. Well Flipper I I got back in 2004. He died within 3 days due to my inexperience. I used tap water for his home and fed him fish flakes, big mistake. Flipper the II a few years after that, actually my sisters frog who died of starvation. She never fed the two and they were in those inhumane small cubes. The two ate each other until the last one couldn't hold out anymore. Flipper the III & Sandy were given to me by my grandmother back in 2005. Couldn't name Flipper III the II cause let my sister you that name as you know. Flipper III & Sandy started out in one of those small inhumane cubes. They since were moved into a 1 gallon tank, than into a 3 gallon tank which you can see in the picture. Now, i'm moving Flipper III into a 10 gallon tank with a small filter, heater, live plants. so it's been a long journey

So off on a quest again to find another frog to give Flipper III someone to interact with. In the meantime maybe you guys could educate on how to better identify the sex of an african dwarf frog

Thread Information