Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie looking for help

Nationality
    [Indonesia]

Question newbie looking for help

first of all, greetings from Indonesia.
    recently i got 2 pacmans, albino and strawberry.
    both is still small, probably less than 2 inch..
    i fed them every 2 days with 2crickets each of them. (i also dusted the crickets with calcium which i bought from a nearby place)
    i am using filter pad as substrate for the enclosure, with mineral water.. (picture coming as soon as i can)
    this is what concerned me, its been two weeks since the last time my albino pooped, usually they pooped nearly together (1-2 days gap maximum)
    the strawberry pacman already pooped twice, and for the albino not even once.
    i also found that these past few days they have been shedding. (i dont know since when)
    and one more thing that's been bothering me, they got a little swollen under their mouth. its look like its full of water, but when i tried to see what's wrong, they made the swollen disappear.
    can someone tell me what's wrong with them?
    is the food i gave them too little? is it too much water? (i gave 3 kinds of place in the enclosure, full water, a little wet (mushy) and dry. but they chose to stay in the wet place and sometimes in the water)

Best Regards,

ps. the pacmans picture and their enclosure as well as the swollen picture is still not available. however i will try to upload it as soon as i can.
    Update : Picture

Name:  IMG_3682.JPG
Views: 80
Size:  98.6 KBName:  IMG_3681.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  106.3 KBName:  IMG_3679.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  67.1 KBName:  IMG_3674.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  73.1 KBName:  IMG_3673.jpg
Size:  67.7 KB

Picture 1 :
    I : Water place
    II : Wet (How wet it is can be seen on the 3rd picture as i pressed it with my hand)
    III : Dry (No water at all)

Picture 2 : its really not clear in the picture, usually it swell bigger than that.

Picture 4 : Albino

Picture 5 : Strawberry
    Last edited by ronaldo97; November 28th, 2014 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Pictures adding

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Indonesia]

Default Re: newbie looking for help

i just saw this, so i am gonna post it here.

1. Size of enclosure : 35cm x 25cm x 27cm

2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences : 2 aquariums, every frog lives alone.
    3. Humidity : i dont know. (gonna check it as soon as possible)
    4. Temperature : i dont know. (gonna check it as soon as possible)
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish : i didnt do misting, nor my enclosure got any soaking dish. but i use mineral waters.
    6. Materials used for substrate : Filter pad
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. : plain. only filter pad + mineral water.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source : crickets dusted with calcium
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) : every feeding
    10. Lighting : no lighting, however every fewdays i took the aquariums outside for 'sunbath'
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure : nothing, indonesia is quite hot already, they re gonna burn to crisp if i heat it more
    12. When is the last time he/she ate : 2 days ago, tonight gonna feed them again
    13. Have you found poop lately : 3/4 days ago for the strawberry and more or less 2 weeks for the albino
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine) : as soon as possible
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area. : swollen in under the mouth for both of them
    16. How old is the frog : i dont know, but young for sure.
    17. How long have you owned him/her : a month more or less
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred : from what i heard, captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats : only crickets.
    20. How often the frog is handled : every time i need to change the water
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area : my bathroom actually, the other rooms in the house is way too hot for them.
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) : full water changes and clean the filter pad.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Can you please take a pic of a front leg thumb, so the inside side of it ( the one closer to the body ) is visible.

you gotta cut off their sunbathing, they're albino, thus very sentitive to sun light, you don't want they to go blind.

mineral water is concerning me too, is it bottled spring water? As well foam as a substrate, I know people keep them like that in US too, it works, their colours are pooping out more this way too, but i don't aprove. It's my personal opinion, it's not natural for them, deprives them of possibility to live as close to their natural surroundings, stresses them out every day, as you need to rinse that foam every day.These guys are cb and all their life they have to live in a prison cell ( captivity), it is my personal
    belief you have to make them not to feel like it and provide their natural habitat condition with a possibility to burrow where and how deep they choose and to soak when needed in a water body.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

5. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [Indonesia]

how to take a front leg thumb? i am still new in these frog world.
    sunbathing's going to stop, thank you.. alternative on how to make them warm??
    i dont know what kind of mineral water is that. however ppl here use it for drinking. i suppose it is safe?
    i hear if we use those kind of substrate, the pacman could die because impaction? perhaps other alternative to make it more natural?
    and is it okay if i only rinse the foam once a week?
    thank you for your quick response Lija

Best Regards,

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I will agree with Lija 100% I am also not a fan of keeping pac's in this way,
    Keeping the temp at the proper levels is critical. 80 to 84F during the day and 75 to 78F at night is the best for young ones.

If kept in too cool and too moist of conditions can cause edema (excess fluid under the skin) and lots of other heath issues
    that will shorten the life span of your frog.

Here is the care sheet for these frogs.
    Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding

Good luck

Nationality
    [Indonesia]

so what happening to my pacman is this condition called edema?
    how to treat it? Thank you for your response Louis.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Renaldo,

Eco earth is the best substrate I have ever used.
    it is finely shredded coco husk fiber. I looks a lot like dirt but it is not.

The best setup for your frogs while they are small is a small "critter keeper"

With about 2in deep of eco earth.

You can use a desk lamp with a ceramic heat emitter a 60w model should be good.
    you will also need a rheostat or some kind of thermostat or controller.

I like the zoomed HT-10 it can keep the temps set and even do a nighttime off set.

and when you get a larger enclosure it can control both the humidity and temp.

Hope this helps

10. This member thanks Louis Charles Bruckner for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Relax,
    This condition happens over time if the frog is kept in the wrong conditions.

Read the care sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo97 View Post
    so what happening to my pacman is this condition called edema?
    how to treat it? Thank you for your response Louis.

12. This member thanks Louis Charles Bruckner for this post:

Nationality
    [Indonesia]

i just finished reading it.
    so what i have to do right now is reducing the water in the tank, and the edema will gone by itself?
    also i am not quite understand with this
    "Adult Pacman frogs can be fed crickets 2-3 times a week, and youngsters should be fed 5-7 times each week."
    right now i fed it once every 2days with 2 crickets.
    should i change it into everyday 2 crickets or everyday 1 crickets?
    thank you louis.

Best Regards,

Nationality
    [Indonesia]

i will try to find the critter keeper and eco earth in surabaya. hopefully i can find it.
    in the meantime, any suggestion to my tank ?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey slow down the horses.. These were measurements in cm... For my US friend.. You know... Metric system... Cm lol

anyhow the tank is just fine, that is about 12"x12" footprint, well a bit bigger then that, may be 13x13. I wouldn't jump into edema diagnosis either. or doing anything drastic.
    i would def. change the foam and get fine coconut fibre. Mineral water not sure. In Europe definition of mineral water is different from US, and it's possible in Indonesia it's different from either. Let's refraze the question - would you use that water for a fish tank?

To confirm what I think is going on, a pic of that thumb the way I described needed

edit. Sry I wasn't clear enough earlier. Picture of the thumb, not the thumb lol pic of the front leg will do too. Im looking for a big dark mole looking thing on the inside of the thumbs.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Indonesia]

for a fish tank. yeah. definitely
    we used this 'mineral' water for drink. so fish tank is obviously okay
    can you also show me an example of this 'thumb' picture?

Nationality
    [Indonesia]

Name:  IMG_3689.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  78.1 KBName:  IMG_3688.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  86.5 KBName:  IMG_3691.jpg
Size:  70.9 KBName:  IMG_3687.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  67.1 KBName:  IMG_3685.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  51.1 KB

pic 1 2 3 : Albino

Pic 4 5 : Strawberry

i can see some black spot on my strawberry pacman, but i couldnt find one in the albino.
    is it something fatal / dangerous? how can i cure this??
    is it the reason why their mouth swollen and not pooping at all for 2 weeks (for the albino)

Thankyou

Best Regards,

Nationality
    [Canada]

No, the black spot means that frog is a boy, that dark mole looking thing is a nuptial pad that a frog uses to hold on to a female during the breeding. The swollen part under the chin is a vocal sack. My boy uses his as a pillow, it's always out lol yours should call too. Try to play YouTube videos of Pacman frogs calling, yours should respond.
    That is perfectly normal.

Now for the pooping situation. You feed only crickets, is that right? Are there other feeders available? Nightcrawlers/earthworms? Roaches?

Nationality
    [Indonesia]

god, and i have been so worried..
    that means the strawberry is a boy, and the albino is a girl?
    the albino got swollen too.. is it also normal?

there will always be house roach, not that i recommend it tho..
    nightcrawler and earthworms.. i never saw it here.. there is silkworm tho.. but i heard its not really good for pacman.
    the first 2/3 weeks they got here, both of them pooped normally, maybe only 1 day gap between them
    albino stopped pooping suddenly. i dont know why.. the strawberry still pooped tho..

Best Regards,

Nationality
    [Canada]

How big is albino exactly?

The best diet for pacman frogs is a mix of dubia roaches and nightcrawlers. There is also artificial diet, pacman food by samurai and hikari (?) pellets. Both are nutritious and are ok to use occasionally. Saying occasionally, because nobody has scientific proof of long term use exclusively.
    Nightcrawlers have the best ca and p ratio, the easiest to digest too. Look if you can find them. They are usually sold in fish bait stores, look if you can find any, but make sure they're not dyed. Also mice ( no more then one a month), hornworms ( not many at a time). Crickets have close to none nutritious value, especially if not gut loaded, they are not enought for an adult/subadult frog. Some frogs even adults like crickets anyway... My very big pixie loves them for some reason too, but most frogs won't waste their energy for a prey this small.
    This way no food =no poop. To add - with the same food intake some poop more often, some less often, it's normal. As well same is true for eating, some eat less, some more. It's ok too.

Nationality
    [Indonesia]

maybe 2 inch? see my first post, i got albino and strawberry with a coin. coin should be about 1 inch.
    i will try to find those nightcrawler. what trouble me is that those 2 size is about the same, even tho strawberry is smaller in my opinion.
    both eat at the same time, same numbers of cricket, yet the gap between their poop now is so long (2weeks without poop at all for albino)
    they used to poop at the same time before (1 day gap)
    should i make it 3 crickets every 2 days?
    from your opinion, what happening to my frogs is okay? its not something dangerous or anything right?

Best Regards,

Nationality
    [Canada]

Are you gut loading crickets?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You are in good hands with Lija,
    I won't try to steal her thunder.

I will say this, Relax.
    And get the housing sorted out.
    Then your new babies will thrive.

My 2 year old did with the help of Lija and the other moderators here.
    you are in good company.
    And welcome to the forum.

Nationality
    [Canada]

For the one that wont go to the bathroom u could try a warm bath of about 80F for around 20 minutes and that may help. I have to do this around every week or 2 weeks for my Lillypad and it almost always works. She very rarely goes byherself, I actually found some the other day in her enclosure and I was so happy you would of thought its Christmas. l.o.l Sometimes it takes her abit longer then 20 mins but like I said it works. Give it a shot and I hope and helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information