Thread: Finally Found Night Crawlers! But.... ?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question Finally Found Night Crawlers! But.... ?

sHEila has been on a fast for his prolapse since last Monday, so a week and a day-- not including the one small wax worm he had with his cocci meds on Sunday night-- that is until tonight. I cut a 1 inch piece of night crawler and dropped it in front of him and he grabbed it immediately... then spit it right out with a WTH!? look and sat staring at it I took it away and left him to sit while I fed Shirley and Honey some, which they ate up. Then I dropped a piece in front of Jelly Bean who ate hers up-- sHEila was watching closely-- so after that I gave him another piece and he finally devoured it! *Whew!* (I did find out that Shirley hates the pokey head end and would NOT eat that, so I threw if out and gave her a few little crickets. Honey had 2 bites of worm so was too full to chase them, lol).

Now my question is this, I was suggested to fast him at least 7 days min (10 preferred, and even as long as 15 was suggested), well except for the necessary wax worm he went that long, now he's had this 1 inch piece of night crawler... how long should I wait before giving him something else? Feed him maybe another piece of worm on Friday, and then his medicated wax worm on Sunday... or.... should I just wait to feed him again until Sunday? He's starting to look kind of thin to me, not real bad, but he's definitely lost weight
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Finally Found Night Crawlers! But.... ?

Can you show us a pic of him? It all depends on how skinny he is, and if you feel comfortable feeding him after his prolapse.

0.1.0 Psuedacris regilla
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strider18 View Post
    Can you show us a pic of him? It all depends on how skinny he is, and if you feel comfortable feeding him after his prolapse.

0.1.0 Psuedacris regilla
    Heading to bed, and have a doc appt tomorrow (*groan*) but will try to take one tomorrow and get it posted up either before my appt or before bed. Of course he has a 1 inch piece of fat night crawler in him too, so he might look a bit more filled out. I don't think folks will think he looks too bad, or notice the diff, but I see him every day so yeah

Anyway, nite nite!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [United States]

Night crawlers are soft food with no hard parts. IMO can feed them to frog with no issues .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

6. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I rinse mine off, and keep them in water for a little while. That way I can usually tell which end poops and use the other end. Or maybe he's just a picky frog?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get them? Is your Wal-Mart still stocking them?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, where did you get them? Is your Wal-Mart still stocking them?
    These worms are huge so I had to cut them into sections, meaning both ends had poop... ew... I think the slime and the digested dirt threw him. I made sure to wipe the next piece off really well.

Didn't recheck at Wallys. Funny thing is I was at PetSmart looking for Can O' Pillars (they didn't have any) and I was talking on the phn to my best friend about not finding any earthworms anywhere, and a checker heard me and told me they have them in the back! Wish I'd thought to ask instead of thinking they didn't have them just because I didn't see them, lol!

Anyways, here are some pics...
    Name:  DSC01351.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  150.7 KB 11/14-- prior to 2nd prolapse which was 11/18. He actually looks fatter than he was in this pic, sleeping position pics seem to be that way
    Name:  DSC01462.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  141.1 KB 11/22, 6 days post prolapse/fast.
    Name:  DSC01565.JPG
Views: 40
Size:  140.0 KBName:  DSC01566.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  148.7 KB This morning, 9 days past prolapse- one waxworm with med given on Sunday (11/23) & one 1" piece of night crawler last night. He's lost weight around his backbone and butt. Gonna try to get a side pic later whenever he turns around.

EDIT: Went back in at diff angle and got the pic... and burned my arm on the heat lamp, but oh well! Will post in a min.
    Here's the side shot, he has a wrinkle now (this wasn't the greatest angle for his face)...
    Name:  DSC01576.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  140.4 KB
    Mom to these fine frogs!

He doesn't look like he has lost any weight at all! I'm sure he would be ok to fast for a few more days

0.1.0 Psuedacris regilla
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

See?? Lol, I knew that would be the consensus. Compare pics 1 and 2 though and you'll notice more difference. Remember he's got a waxworm and chunk of night crawler in him, and is puffed up in water conservation mode for sleepy time He looks thinner when he's running around though. I think I will wait 2-3 days in between feedings for him at this point and just take it slow though. If I want to give crickets to Jelly I'll just have to put him(her) in a different container for feeding because I do not want sHEila getting a hold of those...
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Thread Information