Thread: Oh Oh... WTF not poopin...

Nationality
    [Canada]

Unhappy Oh Oh... WTF not poopin...

Hey guys

Well.. maybe im just a worrry wort......

Gigs has been home for now for five days.. I fed him two crickets on friday.. nothibg on saturday.. then two crickets on sunday.. three on monday plus two mealworms and fed him two crickets and one worm tonight... still has of yet.. no poop. Hes tank is impeccable. Hes temp and moisture are where it should be and hes on a strict 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness...

Im worried.. shouldnt he be pooping everyday or every second day at least?

He is about 2 and half inch long. Was so scared and nervous when i first got him and now his warmed up lots. Enough to stay in my hands or on my arms and hes not completely hiding all the time..

I put tap water in mason jar with a water treatment in it and let sit on the counter and the rotation works out to be every 48 hours ish. Water bowl cleaned everyday only in hot water then dried and put treated water in.. treated water in my spray bottle and before i handle him, i rinse with hot water, no soap then dry and use the water in his spray bottle of water dish to moist my hands before i grab him.

I dont bother him very often. Check on him a lot and only handle him at night when its feedibg time as i feed him in a differe t tank.

My crickets are fed raw potatoes. I noticed tonight that a few of my crickets appear to be a little to big for my lil slimy love... gonna go get smaller crickets. I only calciumed his food once yet.

Im at a loss.. am i doing something wrong!!???

PLEASE HELP!!

Heres a couple pictures i took tonight after feeding him.. his a beauty and looks ok. No bump or bloating....

?????????Name:  20141125_191813.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  75.3 KBName:  20141125_191426.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  47.4 KBName:  20141125_191112.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  68.4 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Oh Oh... WTF not poopin...

He looks pretty good to me Sometimes it can just take a while for them to go... sometimes quite a while, as FF member, Elly, can attest to. She just gave her froggle, Bonk, a warm honey bath after a long time of no go (will have to reread the thread to see how long) and it finally produced results. I'm having a waiting game with my little Jelly Bean now too, I think it's been almost a week now since I've seen poo, and she(he?) looks VERY plump. Still wants to eat, but I'm worried about feeding too much if she's stoved up. She had a couple wax worms on Sunday, nothing yesterday, so I think tonight I will see if she will take a piece of earthworm... maybe that will get things moving.

What if the temp in Gig's tank? When they aren't warm enough it can cause slower digestion.

Hope you see results soon!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    He looks pretty good to me Sometimes it can just take a while for them to go... sometimes quite a while, as FF member, Elly, can attest to. She just gave her froggle, Bonk, a warm honey bath after a long time of no go (will have to reread the thread to see how long) and it finally produced results. I'm having a waiting game with my little Jelly Bean now too, I think it's been almost a week now since I've seen poo, and she(he?) looks VERY plump. Still wants to eat, but I'm worried about feeding too much if she's stoved up. She had a couple wax worms on Sunday, nothing yesterday, so I think tonight I will see if she will take a piece of earthworm... maybe that will get things moving.

What if the temp in Gig's tank? When they aren't warm enough it can cause slower digestion.

Hope you see results soon!

I keep it as close as i can to 80 (74-80) from 7 am to 630 pm ish and at night it becomes a lil harder to control byt when im awake i try to keep it around 72 and when i wake up its usually around 68-70....

Finally got over the heat issue.. or at least i thought.. his tank is a 18/18/24 too

Earthworm would get him to go? And should i stop feeding him till he poops?

Trust me.. i personally kniw all about the irregular BMs and ut sucks.. lol

You could try hornworms. They are like big water balloons and they can help to get things flowing
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strider18 View Post
    You could try hornworms. They are like big water balloons and they can help to get things flowing
    I was just going to mention that, lol, hornworms ARE known to have a laxative effect A wax worm or two should help as well, but I can't say Jelly Bean went poo after having hers on Sunday

I just tried earthworms with my guys for the very first time and it was... interesting... and gross, seeing that these night crawlers are so big I had to chop one into 1 inch pieces *blergh!* That and I'll tell you something, frogs do NOT like the pointy end! Could be why some folks can't get their frogs to eat red wigglers, unless those things have some sort of natural chemical something the frogs detest.

If your frog's not looking bloated or swelled up I'd keep feeding like usual if he'll eat. Jelly's to the point of looking like a mini brown Pacman practically, so if she doesn't go after this piece of worm (she had just one) tonight she's definitely getting that honey bath tomorrow
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

I may be either doing a honey bath or trying really hard to find some hornworms for my froggy tomorrow. He/she (not sure on the gender) has some visible stuff in his/her stomach and he/she hasn't passed it yet, even though he/she just pooped a few days ago. Hoping that i'm just worrying and nothing is wrong. *Crosses fingers*

0.1.0 Psuedacris regilla
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

Nationality
    [United States]

Would not worry about a frog not pooping for a few days; it's normal. Recommend feed crickets romaine lettuce, carrots, and cherios cereal. Also, use night crawlers (Walmart or local bait shop), not mealworms or other fatty beetle worms with hard exoskeletons. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Ugh, impaction. I don't think five days without pooping is much of a cause for concern, but you probably want to make sure the crickets are NOT bigger than the distance between the frog's eyes. I think that's what gave my frog trouble- he didn't go for a little over two weeks. Get him a piece of an earthworm (cutting them is gross, I know) or a hornworm and it should help. If you can do that, I'd try that before a bath.

Nationality
    [Canada]

UPDATE....

Gigs still hasnt pooped......

The little bugger is soooooooo active lol. I gave him a warm soak/bath tonight and oh dear it was a challenge putting him in here.. lol hes so jumpy and agitated when hamdle and i mean, he did not want to get in the water. And it was perfect warmth. Not cold. Not hot. By the time he finally settled and realised whats going on he sat there and enjoyed...

After his bath, while handling him, i massaged his tummy for a while.. mannnn did he ever liked that! It was not hard whatsoever and he still doesnt look bloated or sick. I tell you. He was awake alright! Lol and here i was just giggling the whole time. I dobt know if i was laughing harder at him or me. Was over the tib and everytime he jumped, id squeal scared and then giggle. Lol its a great time. I find if i dont put my hand close to him hell sit quiet.

But anyways.... still no poop, still eating fine and not bloated..

Im lost....

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

He doesn't seem to have symptoms of impaction. Maybe he's hidden the poop, or maybe it's just that frog digestive systems run slowly. The low temps around 72 could be contributing to slow digestion. If at all possible I'd try to raise them while you're awake.

I'd give it a few more days at least before trying another bath if you want to do that, give him time to recover.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    He doesn't seem to have symptoms of impaction. Maybe he's hidden the poop, or maybe it's just that frog digestive systems run slowly. The low temps around 72 could be contributing to slow digestion. If at all possible I'd try to raise them while you're awake.

I'd give it a few more days at least before trying another bath if you want to do that, give him time to recover.
    Well.. hidden would be kind of surprising.. i use carpet not substrate as i had a horrible experience already and ive looked from top to bottom and even the water dish.. nothing......... nothing under the hiding spot and nothing throughout the fake plants i have.. but today im goi g to be cleaning hisentire tank then ill have even motre of a view of it i guess

For the temp, since i bought the emitter, we are easily at 80 during the day and 74-76 at night i dont have temp issues at all now and hes been very active too!

I didnt feed him yesterday so ill be feeding him today.. there isnt no place with any like horn or waxworm and the only earthworms i can find in alberta are for composte..? Would that work? Scared they might be toxic...

Am i ever a worry "wart" lol

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Any earthworm except Red Wrigglers/Redworms/Tigerworms should be okay. Those aren't toxic exactly, but some frogs think they taste bad.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    Any earthworm except Red Wrigglers/Redworms/Tigerworms should be okay. Those aren't toxic exactly, but some frogs think they taste bad.
    Interesting..

Well the only ones i seem to be able to find are red wrigglers..

Tho i just passed an order with my closest petstore for waxworm.

Ill win this battle i swear! Lol in even thinking im worrying a lil too much for nothing.. lol ive got a lot of issues with my own digestive system and i get all paranoid when my kids dont poop cause i know how bad and hoe painful it is

Thanks again you guys!

Will keep up to date

15. This member thanks MariePey for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Mariepey - nightcrawlers you can find in any fishing store, wholesale sports, probass, canadian tire, anywhere.

Do not feed red wigglers! Your frog will refuse anything that will look like a worm after.

5 days at home, have you done fecal test yet?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Mariepey - nightcrawlers you can find in any fishing store, wholesale sports, probass, canadian tire, anywhere.

Do not feed red wigglers! Your frog will refuse anything that will look like a worm after.

5 days at home, have you done fecal test yet?

Oh. I think ill go have a look!

Yeah i have avoided earthworms for tgat reason as it seems to be the only thing i can find..

And fecal test? How do you do that without poop? Lol

Nationality
    [Canada]

Right lol save it when you find it.

you can do a test without the poop, not worth it though.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Does anyone know if frogs will eat "Brown Nose Worms"? I read those were a composter with the technical name Allolobophora-chlorotic, but elsewhere I found info that A.chlorotic is the Green earthworm??
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Banned
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Oh Oh... WTF not poopin...

I would definitely try a honey bath. Even if there is no real concern, honey baths can really help get things moving properly and will improve color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [Canada]

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!

So this morning i got up.. first thing i do i run for the bathroom for my business and say good morning to Gigs and turn on his light... so while im screwing the bulb in, im looking around for poop.. csnt see much.. then i turn on tge light and literally screamed... WEVE GOT POOOOOOOPPPPPPP!!!!!!!! I made my other half jump and hes first words?!--- You or tge frog? (As ive been having issues myself.. lol) told him no its Gigs!

That poop was perfect. Perfect shape, perfect size and formed. Oh dear did that just make my day!!!! Yayyyyy!

As for fecal test.. the vet is a hour away from me and closed on weekends and i probably wont get there till later this week so i didnt keep that one poop.. needless to say my hunny tolerates me and the frog and espeicially the bugs, when i told him i was gonna keep the poop that didnt go as planned... lol the lil guy will be fine without a poop ecam for another few days im sure

Thanks to all of you guys!!!!! All the help, patience and concerns helped! I knew i was gonna won this battle!

A few pictures from this morning.. happy releived lil guy

Name:  20141130_083518.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  77.7 KBName:  20141130_083351.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  62.6 KBName:  20141130_083234.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  60.6 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Good! Just as well you couldn't keep the poop. My vet asked that the sample I brought be fresh.

Thread Information