Thread: White's Tree Frog Not Eating..... Need some advice.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default White's Tree Frog Not Eating..... Need some advice.

A friend of mine just gave me his smaller WTF. He said he moved them to a larger habitat and purchased to other frogs at the same time. The one that isn't eating is about half the size of the others. It has been about 2-3 weeks since he last saw him eat. He seems to move around the terrarium OK, but he is skinny... I have since taken the frog and just purchased a smaller terrarium and supplies to try to rehab this guy. I have no herp vet close to me, so I am going to give this guy another couple weeks and then I will go from there. I have tried to feed with tongs and held the cricket for at least 10 minutes and he has not moved. Just doesn't seem interested. My larger terrarium houses 3 large WTF, that is why I didn't just add him to that one. Here are some pictures of him and his new place. Questions answered.

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species) - WTF
    2----please include a photo of the frog
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" ) - 8"X16"X10"
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? ) - There was.
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate - 2 other WTF
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined - Yes, no.
    8----what is the typical humidity level - 60%
    9----what temperature is maintained - Yes
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure - UVA and UVB Bulbs
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically)
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc) Monthly, Clean.
    13---what kind of water is used - Distilled
    -----for misting - Water feature
    -----for the frog's soaking dish
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand - Yes, unsure
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific - coco
    15---enclosure set up:
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric - Live
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials - coco fiber
    16---when is the last time the frog ate - 2-3 weeks
    17---have you found poop lately - unsure if from this frog
    18---how often is the frog fed - daily
    19---what size feeder is given - Med crickets
    20---what other feeders are used as treats - Wax worms
    21---what is the frog's main food source - Crickets
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed - both
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often - crickets fed
    24---calcium - what brand and how often - ReptiCalcium weekly dusted crickets
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time - Yes, Months but cricket food has calcium
    26---approximate age of the frog - ?
    27---how long have you owned the frog - Him 1yr, me 1 day
    28---who cared for the frog before you
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred - captive
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves) - Rarely
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area - Low
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no) ?
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication: No
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose
    -----was medication prescribed by a herp vet
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: White's Tree Frog Not Eating..... Need some advice.

Hi there, first thing I would do is not to use distilled water for use in the frogs, soaking dish. I personally don't use it at all, and think a few water spots on the glass are a good compromise when it comes to safeguarding the health of the frog. Here is an answer I found on the net re: distilled water and frogs:
    "Can pet frogs live in distilled water?

Best Answer

well not live in the water, but distilled water may be used to put in the frog's water dish. Any water is fine if it doesn't have chemicals in it.

Source:

Owner of amphibians.

• Comment

Other Answers (1)

Rory answered 4 years ago

NO! Sorry, I'm not being aggressive to you, just contradicting the answer to the first question. Distilled water is VERY BAD for amphibians.Plain tap water is toxic but distilled water is worse.
    The explanation is a bit sciencey:
    1-Amphibians have porous skin, so water and other substances in the water can move in and out.

2-Water moves by a process called osmosis. Water always moves from an area with an area with a low concentration of dissolved chemicals (e.g. salt) to an area where there is a high concentration of dissolved chemicals

3-Distilled water is pure water.i.e. there are no dissolved chemicals in it. If you put an amphibian in distilled water for a period of time then the water moves by osmosis into the amphibians body, and no water moves out. Your frog would swell up with water, it's cells would burst and it would eventually die.Fact.

Tap water is only bad for amphibians because it contains chlorine (to kill germs). But chlorine is easy to remove. Either A-leave the water in an open bucket for 2 days so the chlorine evaporates or
    B-Buy dechlorinator (often called repti-safe or aqua-safe) from the pet store and follow the instructions on the label to treat the water.

Source(s):

Keeper of 2 fire bellied toads and a crab, both of which need dechlorinated water"

Here is a thread on FF about proper water for frogs: http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...hing-else.html

I would give the frog a tepid/warm bath in either a 10% Pedialyte/dechorinated water solution or the same water and a few drops of honey. Looks like he needs to get some electrolytes and energy into him I would use just plain white paper towels for the bottom of his tank (will be easier to change and clean) and would look for poo. I highly recommend you send a sample off for testing as this guy could very well have parasites Here is a herp lab that can do the test Repti-Labs - Fecal Float Testing

At this point the frog is pretty stressed, and he might have been for some time. Sometimes these guys will not tong feed, have you tried bowl or free range feeding him? A good meal would be a small earthworm or night crawler (not a composting worm, frogs seem to hate red wigglers!) or you could try him on Dubias (Two-spotted roach).

Ugh, I need to get up at 5:30 A.M. and am exhausted so hope someone can fill in everything else I've forgotten... Hope your frog improves soon!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

I would do as irThumper suggested and soak in non flavored pedialyte and water. Most frogs can't resist earthworms or nightcrawlers. Keep us updated!

0.1.0 Psuedacris regilla
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

Nationality
    [United States]

Follow the suggestions on the pedialyte soak. Distilled water is only good for misting the tank but they need spring, rain or treated tap water for soaking. I personally use rain water that I have collected. My WTF won't eat earthworms or nightcrawlers, but they LOVE butter or wax worms. Do not feed meal worms since they are harder to digest and he/she is so skinny you don't want to put any more strain on the frog. My main feeders are red runner roaches. Better nutrition and softer exoskeletons. Good luck.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    Follow the suggestions on the pedialyte soak. Distilled water is only good for misting the tank but they need spring, rain or treated tap water for soaking. I personally use rain water that I have collected. My WTF won't eat earthworms or nightcrawlers, but they LOVE butter or wax worms. Do not feed meal worms since they are harder to digest and he/she is so skinny you don't want to put any more strain on the frog. My main feeders are red runner roaches. Better nutrition and softer exoskeletons. Good luck.
    Where can I get info on these red runners and who sells them? How do they compare to Dubias? I found some Dubias at Petco but don't know how long they've been in the store, and they let everything die there, so...
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Oh, and if you give him a soak with declorinated water and unflavored pedialyte, it wouldn't hurt to make sure the water's lukewarm, ( about 80-85 degrees F.) That way if he isn't eating because he's impacted the warm bath might unstop him. (i've found the best way to give mine a bath is in a shallow box with a lid so he can't jump out.)

Nationality
    [United States]

How long should I leave him in there?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Most people leave them in roughly 10-20 mins.

I have heard some people recommend 30 minutes even. I would keep it around 20 though to keep from stressing the frog out to much.

0.1.0 Psuedacris regilla
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

Nationality
    [United States]

I added the mixture to his soaking dish. I'll leave him in it for a while. I don't think it'll do any harm.

Nationality
    [United States]

I get my red runners from Red Runners (Turkish Roaches) and B. Lateralis Roaches - Red Runners. Both are great places. None of my frogs or toads like the dubias, but they LOVE the red runners.
    Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    Where can I get info on these red runners and who sells them? How do they compare to Dubias? I found some Dubias at Petco but don't know how long they've been in the store, and they let everything die there, so...
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

13. This member thanks kueluck for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Well I got him to take a cricket from my hand yesterday. He seems to be moving around a bit more. Just wonder how long it'll take for him to poop. Maybe he has some impaction?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bnagy View Post
    Well I got him to take a cricket from my hand yesterday. He seems to be moving around a bit more. Just wonder how long it'll take for him to poop. Maybe he has some impaction?
    When did you see him go last?
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]

I haven't seen it since I've had him. Terrarium is still clean.

Thread Information