Thread: Hornworm Question + Soft Bodied Bugs for Prolapsed White's Tree Frog?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question Hornworm Question + Soft Bodied Bugs for Prolapsed White's Tree Frog?

I've been medicating my 4 young sub-adult WTFs for coccidiosis by injecting oral suspension Metronidazole into wax worms and feeding them to them. The med dose is going up now since the frogs have grown, making the wax worms too small. Thought I might try hornworms... can anyone tell me the various sizes these are offered, how fast they grow & what care they need? I've heard they can grow to like 4" FAST... I medicate my frogs once a week, and will probably be medicating them for another 3-4 weeks possibly, so is there any way to slow down the growth of a hornworm safely so they won't outsize my frogs before the medication session is over?

I'm also looking for other good sources of nutritious SOFT bodied bugs as one of my frogs has prolapsed twice in a week and a half, is now on an enforced fast (except for when he's medicated) and when he starts being fed again it is to be soft, easy to digest foods only. Soldier fly-Calci-Phoenix worms are OUT as I tested them on another of my White's and they passed straight through undigested. Are there any cultured moths available that would be good? (I could remove the wings) or other soft bodied grubs that are rich in protein? My guys have hand fed, and with as ravenous as my boy is I don't think he'll care if I give him something that moves or not.

Thanks!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Hornworm Question + Soft Bodied Bugs for Prolapsed White's Tree Frog?

My frog LOVES inchworms. They are super soft and squishy, I would be careful though because they are high in fat. They do have quite a bit of water in them too as all they easy is lettuce.

0.1.0 Psuedacris regilla
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

4. This member thanks Strider18 for this post:

Thread Information