Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soldier Fly Larvae for WTFs? Lauric Acid?

Default Re: Soldier Fly Larvae for WTFs? Lauric Acid?

They were the small, pale tan ones. The one that I think passed the live one is the smallest of my frogs, and is really pretty little. He's the one who had one of his eyes sucked out by a leech when he was a tadpole, and seems to be growing more slowly than the others, though he eats well, and always looks fat.

the story about the tadpoles and the leeches is a long one. I was planning on posting it in my intro thread, which I still haven't gotten around to writing yet.

I wonder if smaller frogs have a harder time with these worms than bigger ones. My guys are all still pretty small.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor
    7.0.0 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus
    2.0.0 Homo sapiens sapiens (K & C, the *other* froglets)

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Soldier Fly Larvae for WTFs? Lauric Acid?

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
    They were the small, pale tan ones. The one that I think passed the live one is the smallest of my frogs, and is really pretty little. He's the one who had one of his eyes sucked out by a leech when he was a tadpole, and seems to be growing more slowly than the others, though he eats well, and always looks fat.

the story about the tadpoles and the leeches is a long one. I was planning on posting it in my intro thread, which I still haven't gotten around to writing yet.

I wonder if smaller frogs have a harder time with these worms than bigger ones. My guys are all still pretty small.
    Dang... I definitely want to hear that story! Poor little guy, he's a real survivor! It could very well be so since WTFs are much bigger than GTFs, or WTFs could have a faster metabolism, stronger digestive juices, or could be warmer temps (what's yours?) helping digestion... I'd probably nix them from your guys diet all together. You could try again when they are full grown, but if you get the same results then no sense in wasting your money on the things
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Exclamation Re: Soldier Fly Larvae for WTFs? Lauric Acid? THE RESULTS ARE IN!

...and the freakin Soldier-Calci-Phoenix worm things are NOT worth the time, effort and money. Leave them to the Beardies, and whatever lizards are able to digest them. They do indeed SUCK for frogs, as has previously been said. It took 24 hours, but right after I gave Shirley her medicated wax worm, 2 more un-medicated (they're real small) and about 4 small crickets, the UNDIGESTED soldier fly larvae wound up deposited in a slimy pile on top of the frogs' inverted flower pot saucer... I'm glad the thing is glazed! I took it out and poked through the pile with a skewer and there they were, all five of them, about the same darn way they went in. Now, they were deader than bricks, and the very small ones seemed like they could have started to digest-- perhaps had I jabbed them with the pin they would have digested. If Honey-Lime actually liked them as much as Shirl I might consider getting a few more and trying the jab trick, but I only wanted to try them for the possible benefit toward treating cocci, so if everyone can't/won't eat them then to heck with it. I'm glad I only spent $1.00 on these things, the last 5 can go down the toilet as far as I'm concerned!

You were right everyone! And now I have my own proof to go along with yours... that and I filmed mine, ew, lol
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information