Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death..

rjm2653

Default Death..

So after 4 batches of fish and a new filter things are still dying so im starting to think my waterproofing paint wasn't fully cured. It was bare water based waterproof. So theoretically cant i just drain all my water and let it dry for a few weeks?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

rjm2653

Default Re: Death..

I'm really confused by the whole ordeal. I used Behr water based waterproofer and i let i dry for a few days and i used organic potting soil for my plants. The soil did have little white balls in it but i didnt think that mattered since its organic

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Sorry about the fish deaths. It might not have been fully cured. Or maybe the fish could have been sick already. I don't know. Also those little white balls (vermiculite), could the fish have somehow swallowed some of them? If you plan to put frogs in the tank, I'd suggest a different type of soil and making sure you get all the vermiculite out since those things are an impaction risk.

Default Death..

Sounds like a case of an uncycled tank, compounded by multiple deaths, resulting in high ammonia levels, which killed off the new fish, which raised ammonia levels more, ect

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

rjm2653

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    Sorry about the fish deaths. It might not have been fully cured. Or maybe the fish could have been sick already. I don't know. Also those little white balls (vermiculite), could the fish have somehow swallowed some of them? If you plan to put frogs in the tank, I'd suggest a different type of soil and making sure you get all the vermiculite out since those things are an impaction risk.
    So you think I would be okay If I just drain the tank remove that soil and wait a while to give it some more drying time. Also I use that soil in my plants so its possible that when the pots drained that vermiculite leached into the water... What soil should I use instead and do you have any suggestions on how long to let it sit? Thanks a lot

Default Death..

Vermiculite is an inert substance added to soils to create air pockets and promote drainage. It does not leech chemicals into the soil or water. It is not a time release capsule of any sort. It's just less expensive, lighter alternative for soil companies to use. The same goes for perlite.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

rjm2653

Well I dont think water cycling is the problem. I used the water from my already established aquarium

Default Death..

Yeah, there's your problem. Water does not carry enough bacteria to cycle a tank properly. Either previously seeded filter media or substrate will carry enough bacteria to transfer and start cycling a tank. Then you are still looking at 4-6 weeks for it to cycle and about 6 months for it to fully mature.

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

rjm2653

So you dont think its from my paint possibly not being cured? A portion of the foam is underwater

rjm2653

The water also tested fine at the local petco except nitrates were high

rjm2653

Im not trying to be rude im just worried because I have tadpoles in my aquarium and idk how long before they get legs and need land

Default Death..

Could it have been from the waterproofed you used? Sure. We throw brand names like drylok around because they are proven. Behr has not been proven to be safe. But knowing what I do about waterproofers, it most likely is. Once it dries, it is basically cured.

I have been keeping aquariums for over 30 years, and in my experience, when something like this pops up, it's been due to poor husbandry practices. The tank wasn't properly cycled, which killed off the first batch of fish. Once a fish dies, high doses of ammonia are introduced into the tank, which what little bacteria may be in the tank, couldn't handle. Then the next batch went into an ammonia filled tank, they had no chance. The snowball effect just increases from there.

As far as petco testing the water, well, all I will say about that is buy yourself a good quality master test kit (API is an excellent kit, check the expiration date first), and become proficient at using it. Anyone who owns a glass box with any water in it should own one.

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

rjm2653

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    Could it have been from the waterproofed you used? Sure. We throw brand names like drylok around because they are proven. Behr has not been proven to be safe. But knowing what I do about waterproofers, it most likely is. Once it dries, it is basically cured.

I have been keeping aquariums for over 30 years, and in my experience, when something like this pops up, it's been due to poor husbandry practices. The tank wasn't properly cycled, which killed off the first batch of fish. Once a fish dies, high doses of ammonia are introduced into the tank, which what little bacteria may be in the tank, couldn't handle. Then the next batch went into an ammonia filled tank, they had no chance. The snowball effect just increases from there.

As far as petco testing the water, well, all I will say about that is buy yourself a good quality master test kit (API is an excellent kit, check the expiration date first), and become proficient at using it. Anyone who owns a glass box with any water in it should own one.

So I went ahead and got some stability and I'll let it cycle for a while.. Should I add any danios or anything to speed up the process?

Default Death..

That's up to you. I never try to speed up cycling. I don't use stability or any other products, because I only use seeded media/filters.

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

rjm2653

That's up to you. I never try to speed up cycling. I don't use stability or any other products, because I only use seeded media/filters.

So lets say his doesnt work and my issue turns out to be that waterproofer not fully cured. wouldnt just draining the tank and letting it dry for a few weeks help?

Default Death..

If it is the waterproofer leeching chemicals in the tank, it should be removed and replaced using a proven, safe product. But I would bet on cycling being the issue.

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

rjm2653

If it is the waterproofer leeching chemicals in the tank, it should be removed and replaced using a proven, safe product. But I would bet on cycling being the issue.

Thanks a lot bill!

Default Death..

No problem. Just remember, there are some things in life that just shouldn't be rushed. Quarantining animals, cycling tanks, a good steak and a fine tequila are tops on my list lol

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

rjm2653

No problem. Just remember, there are some things in life that just shouldn't be rushed. Quarantining animals, cycling tanks, a good steak and a fine tequila are tops on my list lol

So if it isn't cycling Im going to have to basically start over. So how will I know when it's cycled? just wait 4 weeks or try a fish?

Default Death..

That's where a test kit comes in. You monitor levels. Ammonia will spike, then nitrites, then nitrates. There should be a few threads on it in the aquatic frog sections that you may want to go over

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri