Thread: Aestivation?

SamuraiJay

Default Aestivation?

Hey all I know that some frogs put themselves into a state of brumation. Can anyone describe this to me? My frog pooped out mucus I suppose, it hasn't eaten and reuses to eat, and it appears to be getting a waxy look to certain parts of it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Aestivation?

How long has he been refusing to eat?

I'm not sure what the mucous could mean, but my guess is that if there's no blood or anything in it it's probably just one of those things that happens sometimes. I've never had that happen with mine, so maybe someone else can tell you more about that.
    If you're talking about the 'waxy' look from the other post, I couldn't see anything abnormal. Sometimes areas of their skin look waxy, sometimes they look slimy, ect.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

SamuraiJay

Default Aestivation?

Yeah I'm talking about the same look except it has proceeded to expand or look more like that. I just am so worried something might be wrong. There was no blood in the mucous and it was almost like a solid ball. He hasn't eaten in almost a week now. I offer him worms every night, tried crickets twice and even a fuzzy mouse. Nothing was taken. My samurai pacman is eating like a monster and growing so fat!

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Let's do this - breath in, breath out... Repeat for 10 times! Feeling better already?

seriuosly though. If you keep like you keep your frogs, everything spot on, they will still feel it's a winter time and may choose to rest. It's not an aestivation, they are just resting, it's perfectly normal. A bit waxy look may appear when they about to shed, sometimes they are just too lazy to deal with it, it's ok. If it really bothers you put them in a bath for a bit and gently rub their sides. But really gently. its normal for 3" pac to rest for 2-3 weeks.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

SamuraiJay

Default Aestivation?

Ok sorry. I tried breathing that many times but I lost count and stopped haha. I just don't want to lose an animal. Let alone my first pacman!

Nationality
    [United States]

Lija already gave you some good info on Pacman's reactions to weather changes. My recommendation is to avoid inducing any form of dormancy for pet frogs/toads not being conditioned for breeding. It's a risky process that can cause death to animal if not done correctly. More info on subject in here: http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...ion-oh-my.html .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

SamuraiJay

Default Aestivation?

I am not trying to induce it, temps have remained the same, humidity the same, just feedings slowed down. Here in pa though, the weather has changed drastically in a few days, so I can see barometric pressure changes being an issue as well as the temp drops from the 60s to the 30s outdoors, also light cycle as they are by a window.

Nationality
    [United States]

Have you every dewormed your frog?

SamuraiJay

Default Aestivation?

No how would I do that?

SamuraiJay

Default Aestivation?

I am extremely worried now that you mentioned parasites, are you saying that it's parasite related? I'm freaking out. My vet is closed until Monday. are there any identifiable symptoms or markers that would indicate parasites? Like my wife said when she got her first cat it had worms and she had a bloated belly. Are there any sort of similarities in frogs?

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm not sure if the mucous is an indicator of parasites or not (Grif can tell you more about that) but bloating in frogs can be from a lot of things, most commonly either water that hasn't been treated or impaction.
    If there are parasites, don't worry too much about it. Just take the frog on Monday to the vet. They can live for years with parasites in the wild; if that's your problem, don't stress about two days. Even if the frog isn't eating, adults can go a long time without eating before they start to drop weight.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

SamuraiJay

Default Aestivation?

I'm not sure if these will help, but it's been like a week since it ate last, still refuses food, and looks like it's not as fat as before Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416084480.484641.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  135.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416084499.101054.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  119.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416084515.804569.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  124.1 KB

Please excuse the water bowl, I was in the process of replacing substrates, looking for poop, and cleaning when I took these.

Thread Information