Thread: Pac Man/Horned Frog or African Bullfrog: Choosing the Best Amphibian Pet

findiviglio

Default Pac Man/Horned Frog or African Bullfrog: Choosing the Best Amphibian Pet

Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over20 years with the Bronx Zoo
    The Argentine, Pac Man or Ornate Horned Frog (Ceratophrys ornata) may be the world’s most popular amphibian pet. Beautiful and “charmingly” pugnacious, Horned Frogs require relatively little space despite their “salad bowl” size, and may live to age 20 or more. In a close second among frog fans is the massive African Bullfrog, Pyxicephalus adspersus. These brutes, which can live past age 50, are resilient beyond belief – one was observed downing 17 hatchling spitting cobras, and during droughts they can remain dormant for 10 to 12 months!
    In the following article I’ll compare Horned and African Bullfrogs in terms of their habits, activity levels, and care needs, so that you’ll be able to choose the species that best suits your interests and frog-keeping skills. Detailed care information is provided in the articles linked under “Further Reading”; as always, please also post any questions or observations you may have. Read the rest of this article here African Bullfrog or Pac Man Horned Frog: Choosing the Best Frog Pet
    Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place Welcomes Frank Indiviglio | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

2. This member thanks findiviglio for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pac Man/Horned Frog or African Bullfrog: Choosing the Best Amphibian Pet

Great article frank i think there may be a typo regarding the size of male African bullfrogs
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Default Re: Pac Man/Horned Frog or African Bullfrog: Choosing the Best Amphibian Pet

Great article, I did see the typo also

0.1.0 Psuedacris regilla
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

findiviglio

Quote Originally Posted by Bombina Bob View Post
    Great article frank i think there may be a typo regarding the size of male African bullfrogs
    Thanks for the kind words and for the heads-up; I'll ask the web people to make the change, best, Frank

Thread Information