Thread: Scuttled Medication Session. Alternatives? :(

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Unhappy Scuttled Medication Session. Alternatives? :(

I tried injecting the Metronidazole solution into the wax worms like I did last week and failed miserably... First I tried injecting a worm while it was still in its refrigerated torpor. It died. So I waited for them to warm up a bit and start moving. The medicine (0.02 ml worth) wouldn't go out of the needle into the worm. Tried again and the worm was so warm and wiggling at this point that I jabbed it and ITS liquid came out, then the medicine wouldn't go in all the way and bubbled out... this happened with the other three too. Didn't help any that I'm sick with some respiratory bug so couldn't see straight, and my hands were asleep on me (carpal). Isn't there a more effective, less stressful way to do this?? What about dripping it on their backs? I'm running out of medicine too, the vet sent me such a small amount (I think he is primarily a rep vet and doesn't know nearly as much about frogs) Thinking of getting the 100 ml Metro from Dr. Frye... does anyone know how he says it is to be administered? I know I'm not doing the girls any good-- they all have very loose stool still. sHEila is the only one who has solid feces, and for those who followed that thread look how THAT turned out! I hate the thought that I'm wasting this medicine, not doing any good for the froggles, and that we're all getting stressed out
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Scuttled Medication Session. Alternatives? :(

Sorry, wasn't around. Yes, you can drop meds on a back, but it has to be solution for injections. It's water based, different concentration the oral suspension. Usually it's 5mg/ml injectable solution, treatment protocol is different too.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

4. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks Lija. I am so sick right now... hard to breathe and don't want to get out of bed, now mom has caught it Does Dr. Frye sell the injectable? (trying to remember if that's what the emergency med kit list said). Think I'll have to finish what I'm doing for them now then contact Dr. Frye. I don't know what good I'm doing now, if any... but I haven't seen Shirley and Honey soaking as much as they were, if that has anything to do with it. Not sure if Shirl's head tilt is any better, but I haven't seen her losing her balance and rolling as much either, and her appetite and prey drive is still good. All I know is I need to get over this bug so I can take better care of them... guh what a mess.

Oh, I don't know if my germs can effect the frogs or not, but I'm going to be wearing my gloves and a mask when I feed them from now on, just in case
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Can't tell yet how effective this treatment has been against the cocci, but Shirley's head tilt does seem to be improving! She still has it a bit, but she's adjusting well, balance seems better, and she's actively stalking and devouring the little crickets with more enthusiasm than ever
    Mom to these fine frogs!

DEW

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    Can't tell yet how effective this treatment has been against the cocci, but Shirley's head tilt does seem to be improving! She still has it a bit, but she's adjusting well, balance seems better, and she's actively stalking and devouring the little crickets with more enthusiasm than ever
    Are they separated? I know with cats one can be asymptomatic but still shedding cyst/eggs can remain in the environment for a very long time. Reinfecting, cyst are difficult to kill and bleach solution can be effective but the thing most vets don't tell you is that the solution needs to come in contact with the contaminated surface for a minimum of 10 minutes. I then take items that can be removed and place in sun uv light in a great decontaminate, especially on surfaces/items that are not easily treated with bleach. You probably know all this but thought I would mention it.

At any rate I hope they get better soon.

As an aside, is there somewhere I can find which intestinal parasites effect frogs, and weather or not they are host specific?
    I am dealing with a new group of kitties that have coccidia and Dust Bunny has been sleeping on the tadpole tank every time I turn around. I have resorted in squirting him with a spray bottle, but he is a stubborn kitty and could not care less, he thinks he is too cute to be in serious trouble (I may have given him that impression).

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hi! Each pair is in two quarantine tanks (which is all I have room for at the moment). Those oocysts are definitely tough boogers! One thing I was wondering about was the fact that frogs seem to have some level of protozoa all the time, to what is a normal level who knows. One gal on here treated her frog as prescribed but he still came back with a positive test, HOWEVER his poo is normal and he's eating well and acting fine, so who knows, maybe he found his balance?

That is a very good question you pose about cross contamination and host pacific parasites. I don't know if the same kind of cocci effects mammals and herps, but you might want to contact Dr. Frye and ask him that. He's the go to vet source here for frog medical questions. You can find his email in this thread http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-prepared.html Good luck with the kitties! I used to foster bottle babies so know how much work that can be, lol
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hey, just wanted to mention that I'm not sure whether Bonk is actually healthy or not yet. He's been only coming out in complete darkness and he's constipated so I'm not sure whether his poop is going to remain solid. All in all, he's much more shy than he was when I first got him.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    Hey, just wanted to mention that I'm not sure whether Bonk is actually healthy or not yet. He's been only coming out in complete darkness and he's constipated so I'm not sure whether his poop is going to remain solid. All in all, he's much more shy than he was when I first got him.
    Poor Bonk, I hope he levels out and gets to be in a good way soon!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

DEW

I'll definitely do that. I can't keep Dust Bunny off the enclosures, he runs like crazy when he sees the squirt bottle but I come back ten minutes later and he is asleep on the tops again.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That's a cat for you!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Thread Information