Thread: Extremely concerned!!!

SamuraiJay

Default Extremely concerned!!!

Hey guys. So I've come to a problem and I am extremely worried!! My bigger frog Venosaur has been acting a little strange.. He has turned a lot lighter in color, almost as a snake going into shed, and I understand they shed but he also has a few waxy looking areas, one of them being around his eye. I had left 2 crickets in his bin overnight but they were uneaten, I tried to feed him yesterday with night crawlers and nothing, I went through my earthworm bin today and found a few smaller than normal worms and tried to feed him and again nothing. I'm very worried and I don't know what to do as these are my first frogs. I will attach some pics of him and of the spot I think is a weird waxy spot. It might not be the best picture because I only have an iPhone (too poor to afford a nice camera). Please help me. I'm so worried Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415576137.287792.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  157.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415576149.807174.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  98.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415576159.354201.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  96.0 KB

The first picture is with flash, the second without and the third is the area I am talking about.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Extremely concerned!!!

Maybe someone else will see something different, but they change color anywhere from dark green to yellowish as they age. I think that's what you're seeing. I definitely don't see anything wrong with them. Also, how old are they? As they get older they'll need to eat less often to the point where I wouldn't worry if an adult went a week or more without eating so long as they didn't lose weight.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

SamuraiJay

Age I'm not sure, but he is about 2 inches

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

He looks perfectly happy and healthy to me at some point they stop eating every day and taking breaks, longer or shorter sometimes as DV said already. Your temps and humidity are okay?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

SamuraiJay

Yes temps are measured by my infrared thermometer gun, and humidity measured by a hygrometer, temps stay at 81.5 hot spot and 79 ambient with a plant for hide/shade and a water bowl, humidity stays at 80% with 3 mists done throughout the day, 1 morning/1 afternoon and 1 before bed.

I am quite nervous though because despite all that I witnessed what appeared to be regurgitation behavior. He was opening his mouth and closing his eyes, or even almost like he was swallowing, my first thought was he is possibly trying to throw up, or he is swallowing something, so I also thought maybe impaction. I drew up a warm bath of 80 degrees and let him/her sit for a minute (more like 10) and took him out without any poop. He moved from one hole he dug to another and now he's sitting fine. No mouth opening or anything. I literally am so confused and I am so nervous I can not sleep. I don't want to lose him.

Nationality
    [United States]

lol If he kept doing that over and over, he was shedding. They eat their skin when they shed. I may be wrong, but I don't think they can swallow without closing their eyes?

A regurge will be VERY obvious. They don't just bring up the food, they bring up their entire stomach. Mine regurged once (apparently she's very lucky as frogs often die after a regurge) but when you see it you immediately know something's very wrong. There are no questions as to what's happening.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

SamuraiJay

Is 3 days normal without feeding? I'm getting a little concerned

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yes to both, shedding is normal and not eating for 3 days for subadult pac is normal too.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

SamuraiJay

He/she is measuring almost 3 inches snout to vent length. No clue as to sex of it but I'll keep trying to feed everyday and hopefully nothin is wrong, thanks for the ease of mind

Nationality
    [Canada]

At or almost 3" it is normal not to eat for longer then 3 days too and most definitely you can sex her/him at that size. At that size they don't need lots of food, they slow down growing, thus less need of nutrition. For adults it is normal to go without a food for a week, mine sometimes go off food for 2-3 weeks at that time of the year, some of them prefer bigger prey and don't see why waste their energy for smth small. You will learn how to respond to what they try to convey. Watch how they behave, do they give you a "im hungry look or "get lost " look. You gotta respect that.

Look for nuptial pads or lack of them, black/dark coloured mole looking thing on the inside of thumbs. If not sure, just take a pic and post, we'll help you with that.

not reliable sexing method by head structure and its comparison to a body. My guess it is a girl in a pic.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I completely agree with Lija. My 2 year old male only eats once a week or so and won't touch crickets, only larger prey like dubias and hisser roaches and once a month a jumper mouse.
    I can some times feed large Canadian nightcrawlers and hornworms.
    He is already slowing down for the winter even though I use a zoomed htgrotherm controller to keep him at 81F at day and drop to 75F at night with a 12hr day.
    I keep his enclosure at 70% RH. and he is doing fine.

I do take him out for a weekly soak in treated 80F water for 15 to 20 min with a bath towel over the container to give him some privacy and keep the warmth in.
    He does all his business then and about 50% of the time sheds.

It keeps his enclosure very clean.

Thread Information