Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Calcium Lack Paralysis or Back Injury???

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Calcium Lack Paralysis or Back Injury???

also as a note, you might want to think about bathing him in some container that hasn't had dishwashing liquid in it. I'm sure you wash it out carefully before and after but if you forgot it might hurt the frog badly or give you food poisoning. Also I'm glad you're doing the work of moving him to the water since he can't.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Lija, what do you think about putting him in a long reptile tank, 20 gal or more? He should have lots of room to crawl around but at his weight I wouldn't even encourage climbing (even if he could) as he could fall and get further injured. Maybe larger round smooth rocks or logs to climb over (but nothing he could get stuck or wedged in) and a shallow easy entry watering receptacle... I want to see this guy get well!

http://www.petco.com/product/125390/Petco-Reptile-Ramp-Bowl.aspx

Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Twice a week doesn't sound like way too often to feed him, maybe cut down to one insect at a time once or twice a week coated with supplements? I don't know how much fat superworms have. Anybody?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [Canada]

Honestly... At this point I dont have much hope for the guy.
    Big tank right now won't help, the guy can't probably move or if he can just barely.

id start with full on hydrotherapy, electrolytes 1:1 with dechlor water every day for 2 weeks, to help flush toxins. if eating - nightcrawlers coated with reptiboost for a week, qt tank. Feeding very small amounts, no more then small earthworm/nightcrawler at a time. And see the progress, review in a week.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    Twice a week doesn't sound like way too often to feed him, maybe cut down to one insect at a time once or twice a week coated with supplements? I don't know how much fat superworms have. Anybody?
    Further up the thread it said they are very fatty and loaded with chitin, which contributes to prolapse (as does the obesity).

I'd get him some crickets and gut load them on fresh vegies & a high calcium diet (Edit: Nix that, I'd do what Lija suggests!)
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Elly, there absolutely can NOT be any superworms in that frogs diet.

i doubt he is able to catch crickets, they are not very nutritious, nightcrawlers would be better. If nkt eating these, then crickets or roaches would be the second choice.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

9. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Honestly... At this point I dont have much hope for the guy.
    Big tank right now won't help, the guy can't probably move or if he can just barely.

id start with full on hydrotherapy, electrolytes 1:1 with dechlor water every day for 2 weeks, to help flush toxins. if eating - nightcrawlers coated with reptiboost for a week, qt tank. Feeding very small amounts, no more then small earthworm/nightcrawler at a time. And see the progress, review in a week.
    Hydrotheraphy... that gives me an idea. How about assisted swimming...? It's worked for other critically obese pets.... she'd have to help him with a hand under him, but maybe...?

Here's some inspiration, Obie the obese Doxie, https://www.facebook.com/BiggestLoserDoxieEdition
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [Canada]

He can drown

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    He can drown
    I was thinking of assisted swimming only (in shallow water) to prevent that. Or even just putting him in a long tank with just barely enough water to take some weight off his flab and encourage him to move...

This link is about dogs, but same idea http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifesty...ls-266817.html
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Default Calcium Lack Paralysis or Back Injury???

That poor frog needs a highly revised diet! Tong fed, dusted crickets. It needs to be strictly monitored. I would suggest 6 crickets twice a week until it starts to burn off some fat reserves. Then you can revise it's diet. The condition it is in now is UNHEALTHY!! Hopefully, after a few months of a more strict feeding regimen and it will come around.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Oh, I would also put the frog into a basic qt tank. Bare bottom, paper towel substrate, some plants for cover. It needs a clear tank to move around and burn off the fat reserves.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    Oh, I would also put the frog into a basic qt tank. Bare bottom, paper towel substrate, some plants for cover. It needs a clear tank to move around and burn off the fat reserves.

How about a longer terestrial tank? I think attempting to climb would be unsafe for him (not that he can). But he can't move at all in the one he's in
    Mom to these fine frogs!

A 10g should suffice. I wouldn't put any decor in there other than some plants for cover. Since it's food intake needs to be strictly monitored, so should it's poo. Paper towel substrate is perfect for that.

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Obesity is such a prevalent problem in White's that I hope other folks can learn something from Pogo's situation. I'm paranoid about my own frog kids' weights and that they get and stay healthy, including weight-wise.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

It is an issue due to people thinking they look "oh so cute" when they are overweight. Sadly, oh so cute, is oh not so healthy. I always kept my white's well fed, but I limited their food to keep them in target weight ranges.

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

19. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Makes sense to me. One reason I'm not overly keen about bowl feeding or tong feeding, I like to see the frogs go stalk their food and move around to catch it. In a more complicated set up I wouldn't want the crickets to get lost in the set up, though, but I can always make up a special tank just for feeding in the future when they get out of QT.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

FrogsFascinated

Okay thanks for all the suggestion guys. I don't have a longer tank on hand, but I have a tank that's about the size of his current one (Maybe a little bigger) Would that work for him? Since it has a little more depth to it?

I saw you guys said he needs a bigger aquarium. When we inherited Pogo that's what he had been living in for the other ten years of his life, we were given that aquarium when we got him, We didn't realize that it would was too small.

Lija, I read what you said about Hydrotherapy, and feeding him night crawlers/worms, and what some of the others said about helping him to swim around, would that help at all if I didn't have the water too high? Only maybe 3/4 of an inch to and inch? That's what I did this morning. About the new diet, would it be okay to find normal earthworms out in my backyard, or would there be a risk of exposing him to some sort of disease?

Again guys, thanks so much for helping me out with Pogo it really means a lot, and helps me not too feel so bad for a frog ... and I bet if Pogo could talk he'd be saying thanks too!

22. This member thanks FrogsFascinated for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Oh my Poor baby, I'm glad you've gotten lots of help on here. I hope he makes it.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [Canada]

Emily think of Pogo as 500lb human. how to help him would be very similar as you'd do for a human.
    so nothing drastic, everything in moderation, progressively minimazing food intake and increasing moving around.

food has to be nutritious and not fatty. Superworms diet is like burger with fries diet.
    How is he eating them? You put in front of him or are you using tongs?

qt rank - moist papertowels changed daily, plant, something to sit on not far from a ground, shallow water fish, cover 3 sides of the tank with anything not see through. Having that will help you see pooping, how often, how does it looks like. Things like that. It's temporarily.

water therapy. get water conditioner, anything from reptile or fish section of the pet store would do. I like prime by seachem the best, cheap and last for a very long time. Use that for any water (tap/spring) you use.
    get pedialyte ( non flavoured, over the counter in any farmacy), mix one part of treated water with one part of pedialyte. Keep the frog in a bath or about 20 min every day for a week, water level no higher then frogs chin, supervise and assist if needed. Being obese he might not be able to support himself well in a water.

Mineral/vitamin supplements. Get reptiboost by fluckers, coat with it food you use. The best would be if you could find canadian nightcrawlers or earthworms from any store that sells fish bait. Just make sure it's not dyed.
    earthworms from your backyard may contain stuff you don't want to feed to your frog.

Please keep us updated on a progress, bath concentration might change, the game plan may change accordingly to the progress. Really hope he'll make it.

25. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information