Thread: Grey Tree Frog is injured - please advise!

Angel

Exclamation Grey Tree Frog is injured - please advise!

We are fortunate that a beautiful, singing Grey Tree frog hitched a ride in one of our huge plants from northern Florida down to southern Florida with us and has chosen to remain close for several years, and his nightly singing and daily chirps as we go in and out, from the porch area, has been a wonderful part of our lives.

This morning, we found him on the platform near the hose with an injured front leg and hind leg, and possibly he was in the doorway last night and my husband didn't see him when he closed the screen door.
    There is some bleeding. I know it is not advised to pick him up, due to the oils in our hands, but he panicked and brought him inside in his bare hand. Now, i have him in a plastic box where he is resting.
    He feels safe with me and has always communicated freely with me.

What is the best thing for me to do?
    I will call the wildlife center when they open, but I do not want to take him where he will not feel safe, and I am not sure if a vet who specializes in frogs will be found.

Please, any recommendations will be appreciated! I adore this guy! No princess ever loved her froggie this much!
    Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Grey Tree Frog is injured - please advise!

Can you post a picture so we can get a better idea of what is going on and how severe the injury is?
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Angel

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Can you post a picture so we can get a better idea of what is going on and how severe the injury is?

We aren't set up to post photos, and he hates to see the red light so we've abandoned the idea of photographing him. He's a wild guy who lives outside on our porch light, and he has loved living outside my window at night and singing to me. He's tame in that sense, and he will allow me close to him, but I don't want to scare him.
    I've identified him from photos on the net, especially by his song. He's pale gray in color, and larger than the local green tree froggies.

Now my husband doesn't think he had seen blood, but only reddish bruising on his shoulder and thigh/hip area on one side only, as in bruising. He holds his arm and leg close to him on that side.

He's only active at night, when he resurrects himself from an almost-frozen sleep state, and in the daytime, I'm not worried, but we're wanting to find out how to help him now so that when the evening comes, and he wants to eat and drink, we'll know what to do. There aren't any vets for him in the area.

Thank you!

You could put some neosporin WITHOUT PAIN RELIVER, that may help heal the wound.

0.1.0 Psuedacris regilla
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF; I'm very sorry for the frog . First thing to do is set it up in a hospital like enclosure. The substrate will be damp (dechlorinated tap water) unprinted paper towels (changed every 2 days) with couple branches and some silk foliage to make him feel safe. Also include a water dish with dechlorinated tap water cleaned with hot water and refilled daily.

You can apply any plain (not analgesic) antibiotic like Neosporin; Silver based; or Baytril with a Q-tip to affected area 2x daily. It's OK to medicate with frog asleep. If you need a herp vet, this should help locating one: Arav and Herp Vet Connection. Hope this helps and good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information