Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prolapse!!! D:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Exclamation Prolapse!!! D:

(Cross posted on White's Tree Frog Lovers on Facebook)

OMG......... HELP!!! D: I just went to check on the frogs and sHEila was going poo, so I grabbed the camera so I could document what it was like, seeing they are being treated for coccidiosis. He went 2-3 short clumps at first and then this really big log, and then PROLAPSED! I got him out of the tank ASAP and into a pre-prepped cricket keeper I didn't use when I fed the medicated wax worms. He's on very damp soft paper towels and has his small water dish. I tried swabbing the area with REGULAR Neosporin (no pain med added) but nothing wanted to stick to it. He's frantic and trying to kick it off so I wrapped the keeper in paper towels (except for the top) and set it in between some plants and he and Jelly's QT tank (he can't see her). When this happened to the Petco frog they said it was back to normal the next day, I believe the one girl anyway, but this looks awful! I think I read on Frog Forum that prolapse isn't unusual with coccidiosis. I know folks are going to tell me to get him to a vet, but the closest vet is an hour away, and to tell the truth with so many doctor bills/meds racking up for my senior parents right now we just don't have the money. I have him in a sterile area, quiet, the room itself is 77F now, so he shouldn't get cold... I think I should NOT feed him tonight, he had a big helping of crickets I think were too freaking big *shakes fist at Petco!* now I'm terrified the same will happen to Jelly, who ate a bigger cricket than I wanted her too as well. I think I am going to fish out the smaller crickets from the keeping tank and see if they will gut load on coconut oil, or I could feed Jelly Bean a wax worm coated in coconut oil, if she will eat it. Should I also feed a coconut oil coated wax worm to sHEila tomorrow? (not going to feed him tonight). Coconut oil is supposed to be a naturally anti-inflamatory... maybe I should put that on the prolapse... but I won't bother him right now. My poor poor boy!!

(Wish I had some of those silk worms about now!)
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Prolapse!!! D:

It is not unusual to have a prolapse when a frog has parasites.

how big is a prolapse? Can you take a pic?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    It is not unusual to have a prolapse when a frog has parasites.

how big is a prolapse? Can you take a pic?
    Will try when I get back, am running off to the store for non-flavored Pedialyte, newer Q-tips, more Neosporin (for frog use only), a small water dish with smoother sides, etc...
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [Canada]

You may want to get some natural honey too and make sure you have sugar at home. Treatment and prognosis depends on a size of prolapse. It is very hard to advise without seeing it.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [Canada]

It is believed coconut oil treats all sorts things, but it is not being approved or okayed to use for animals, therefore I don't reccomend it. Be very careful with any oils around frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Well, I did it before I read this... however the prolapse seems to be less swelled and less angry colored, still nasty though... don't have sugar here as I am diabetic, I did get the unflavored Pedialyte. How much of that should I use? I got a small bowl that holds half a cup of water to the brim. i added a very few drops of the Pedialyte to this since I didn't know how muhc to use, but he hasn't gotten into the bowl yet. Will post screen shots from vid I took if sHEila before going to the store and after getting home (standing by)

Here's the pic:

Name:  sHEila prolapse_11.7.14.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  42.1 KB
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Sry wasn't there earlier. You need sugar. Plain white sugar, make a strong solution and cover the prolapsed area. ! you can use sugar right on too. Sugar will reduce swelling and the prolapse should get in on its own. After the a an hour or so if it is not happening, put a frog in a water bath with a few drops of honey ( 20 min) followed by hydrolytes bath (20 min). Watch it, it is dangerous if it nkt retracted for longer time. You may need to go to vet to help fix that. For most frogs however sugar (more swollen) or honey ( less swollen) helps.

10. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Sry wasn't there earlier. You need sugar. Plain white sugar, make a strong solution and cover the prolapsed area. ! you can use sugar right on too. Sugar will reduce swelling and the prolapse should get in on its own. After the a an hour or so if it is not happening, put a frog in a water bath with a few drops of honey ( 20 min) followed by hydrolytes bath (20 min). Watch it, it is dangerous if it nkt retracted for longer time. You may need to go to vet to help fix that. For most frogs however sugar (more swollen) or honey ( less swollen) helps.
    Soon as I saw this I ran off to the local cafe and ordered coffee with a "bunch of sugar packets" in a sack to go, then I got back here and made a really thick syrup by adding spring water to 4 packets of sugar and dripped some onto the prolapse using a syringe. He was sleeping but woke up when I opened the lid on the keeper. Now I have to dash off to my sister's for her birthday... was supposed to be there at 3:00 but my green baby comes first I couldn't get the honey because the health food store was closed, so will have to do the best I can with the Pedialyte and sugar... Thanks for the info <3
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Oh poor baby I'm so sorry sHEila is not feeling well!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

13. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

LIJA THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! We got home at 11:30 PM (way later than I wanted!) and I checked on sHEila immediately and... the prolapse had completely receded! He had soaked in his dish and left a little poo in there, and when I fed everyone else he seemed VERY interested. I went in the other room and he started calling, so I went in and fed him just one small soft wax worm, hoping it would take the edge off and keep him calm. I'm leaving him in the small keeper tonight and will see how he's doing in the morning before I put him back in with Jelly Bean, who kept staring out at the keeper as if wondering why her buddy was in there. I am SO relieved, but I will be keeping a close eye on this little guy.

Thanks again! And thanks too, Amy! ^_^
    Mom to these fine frogs!

I would avoid feeding him anything for as long as you feel comfortable. It needs time to heal and you don't want him to have to pass anything at all. I have no idea about fasting and your coccidiosis treatments though, the vet who provided you with the medication should be able to help with this (of course they may also ask to see your frog as well).

Some useful information in this link, including recovery (read the comments) Amphibian and Reptile Emergencies – Prolapsed Cloaca | That Reptile Blog

Glad it went back in, and best of luck.

16. This member thanks UncleChester for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    I would avoid feeding him anything for as long as you feel comfortable. It needs time to heal and you don't want him to have to pass anything at all. I have no idea about fasting and your coccidiosis treatments though, the vet who provided you with the medication should be able to help with this (of course they may also ask to see your frog as well).

Some useful information in this link, including recovery (read the comments) Amphibian and Reptile Emergencies – Prolapsed Cloaca | That Reptile Blog

Glad it went back in, and best of luck.
    Thanks He actually did get one small wax worm late last night. Think I should hold off giving him anything again tonight until it's time for their treatment on Sunday? They get their Metro injected into a wax worm and fed to them that way. So far I've been feeding them daily since I haven't been able to find definitive info on when to switch them to an every-other-day feeding schedule; also someone on FF recommended that they be fed every day during treatment.

What are some other good food choices I can make for my WTFs that are easy to digest but not as fatty as wax worms? I've been feeding just crickets (except for when they get a wax worm with their meds) and sHEila has always been a voracious feeder.

Here he is, sleeping comfy back in his rightful place this afternoon

Name:  Snapshot 5 (11-8-2014 1-22 PM).png
Views: 151
Size:  209.8 KBName:  Snapshot 7 (11-8-2014 1-23 PM).png
Views: 149
Size:  209.0 KB
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Earthworms. You can usually get them from a bait shop, make sure they're undyed. We have a gas station here that sells them about 2 blocks away.

+1 for earthworms if he'll accept them. You can dig wild ones as well if you have a chemical free area to scavenge from.

If it weren't for the treatment, I'd have no problems going a couple weeks without feeding given how plump it looks. However I honestly don't know how fasting and your medication will mix.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Just not red wrigglers, probably. My frog puffed up with air and skwawked at me after he tasted one. I think it may have put him off earthworms for good. He liked the Canadian nightcrawlers I gave him before, though. Edit: Also, I cut them down to bite-size one-inch pieces for him. Wasting part of the worm was better than choking the frog.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    Just not red wrigglers, probably. My frog puffed up with air and skwawked at me after he tasted one. I think it may have put him off earthworms for good. He liked the Canadian nightcrawlers I gave him before, though. Edit: Also, I cut them down to bite-size one-inch pieces for him. Wasting part of the worm was better than choking the frog.
    My biggest grey, Paddy, will not touch earthworms because I tried a red wiggler when I first got her. I had no idea!

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    Edit: Also, I cut them down to bite-size one-inch pieces for him. Wasting part of the worm was better than choking the frog.
    The 'distance between the eye' feeder size rule is something I've always ignored with regard to earthworms, I usually aim for worms roughly the length of the frog itself. They're not likely to have any trouble getting down such a soft bodied insect, assuming they find them palatable at all.

Not that cutting the worms up is wrong or anything, just not necessary imo. Though in the case of easing your frog back into eating after a prolapse, it's not a bad idea if the worms you have available that it's willing to eat are of the fat variety.

I cut the earthworms for my PCF since she can't digest them properly unless they are cut. And they really smell if she doesn't digest them
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

Nationality
    [Canada]

You're welcome! So happy for Sheila! And you

as everybody suggested nightcrawlers would be the best food, they soften stool and the risk of prolapse repeating will be less. No need to cut a worm unless for a baby, just get a smaller worm. Fatty worms are not exactly helping here.
    Prolapse has a bad habit of reoccurring, so you gotta watch it and feed easy to digest food in smaller quantities for now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information