Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New: Some advice

Rokit

Default New: Some advice

This is my first post. Ive already found alot of great info on here. Growing up I had all types of frogs. They have came along way since then. I now have a son that is interested in animals. I have a big terrarium i built back in the day. I was on kingsnake looking around. I saw several different tree frogs I would love to have. Are different species of tree frogs compatible? How many frogs per space is ok?

Thanks
    And sorry, Im sure these questions have been asked a thousand times...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: New: Some advice

Hey there. Welcome. It is a bad idea to mix different species. Frogs secrete toxins, so you risk cross-contamination, plus you need to meet the habitat requirements for each frog. Also, some frogs love eating smaller frogs.

As far as how many you can have, it depends on the species. But feel free to ask us about species you are interested in, or check out the great care guides.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi Rokit, Welcome to the forum . Can you please select your country as it will help us to help you. I look forward to hearing what species you decide to put in the terrarium you built. What size is it?

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I wouldn't mix most tree frogs. Some people have kept American Green Tree Frogs with Gray Tree Frogs, and Barking Tree Frogs with Gray Tree Frogs. I kept young Gray Tree Frogs with young Barking Tree Frogs and the barkers picked off the grays over a few weeks so I am hesitant to mix any tree frogs. As for how many per terrarium, for an 18 inch tall x 12 inch wide x 12 inch deep (45 x 30 x 30 cm) terrarium, I'd keep 2 or 3 individuals of one of the above species.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Paul Rust

Hello and welcome to Frog Forum.

Nationality
    [United States]

as everyone has said... don't mix species. With that said Tree frogs are a lot of fun, but it depends on what you want them for. for example... my Whites Tree Frog (dumpys) are fun to watch and are very acitve during periods of the day and most of the night. You can watch them eat and play... and you can hold them. They are about the easiest bread of tree frog for beginners. The only thing about dumpys is they love to play and make a mess out of their tank. They are like 2 year olds. With that said... I would think everyone should have a set of dumpys. I love mine. Now I also have a pair of red eye tree frogs. They are probably the most beautiful of all the tree frogs. Most photographed. They never make a mess of the tank, but they never move in the day time. well sometimes they will pop there head out and look around but for the most part they are stealth. you never see them eat... or pay. They just slowly move from one plant top to the other. I have never seen mine in the water. You will just find a neat poop on a leaf and a bit of ground cover in the water so you know they are eating and bathing. One of my red eyes likes to be held and loves to get out of the tank. The other red eye wishes I would go on vacation more often.... LOL. With that said. I would not be without my red eyes or my dumpys. but If I could only have one pair it would be dumpys. I have 2 40 gallon tanks. One tank has 2 red eyes and one tank has 4 dumpys. I think it is enough room for them. Just have to change the water every night before bed. They like a clean hot tub to play in while I am sleeping. For fun one night after your frogs are all setup. turn on a red light in the middle of the night when you are up for a drink of water and watch them play. They leap from leaf to leaf and from the water to the glass. then climb around and around and around. Very entertaining. My grandkids are able to handle the dumpys. but I don't let them get the red eyes out. Just the thoughts of a dumpy lover.

Rokit

Thanks for all the responses. I figured they shouldnt be mixed. But when I saw them on the classifieds i felt like a kid in a candy store. I saw a blue tree frog that was gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokit View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. I figured they shouldnt be mixed. But when I saw them on the classifieds i felt like a kid in a candy store. I saw a blue tree frog that was gorgeous.
    We all understand. That's why many of us opt for the "so crowded with amphibian tanks you can barely move" theme in our homes.

Kurt

They are called frog rooms. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    They are called frog rooms. lol
    Not if they take up the entire house!

Chaya

then its called a frog house

CaptainMorgantown

Hello!

I know that everyone says that you shouldn't mix frog species, but I do and I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I five frogs, only two of them are the same species, and I have two different terrariums set up for all five; one for the bigger frogs, one for the small ones. I have two dumpy tree frogs, which are by far my favorites, in one tank along with a giant golden tree frog. They all get along rather well, and my smaller of the two dumpys is almost always stuck on the side of the cage with the golden.

I did do some research before I put them together of course. They are from the same habitat, so I thought it would be okay. It's been about three months since I bought the golden, and like I said, there have been no problems. There is only one frog that I have ever housed separately, and it was my red eye tree frog, who passed away from worms apparently

Honestly, if you really want to mix frog species, do some reading on each frog, find out where they are from and what they like. Just make sure not to put big frogs in with small ones

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMorgantown View Post
    I have two dumpy tree frogs, in one tank along with a giant golden tree frog. They all get along rather well, and my smaller of the two dumpys is almost always stuck on the side of the cage with the golden.

I did do some research before I put them together of course. They are from the same habitat, so I thought it would be okay. It's been about three months since I bought the golden, and like I said, there have been no problems.
    Yet. You haven't had a problem yet. Believe me its coming like a frieight train.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMorgantown View Post
    Honestly, if you really want to mix frog species, do some reading on each frog, find out where they are from and what they like. Just make sure not to put big frogs in with small ones
    Rotten advice. Sorry, but I strongly disagree. Golden treefrogs, Polypedates leucomystax and White's treefrogs, Litoria caerulea are not from the same enviroment, family, contitnent, or even the same eco-zone. You will never find them together in the wild. One is from Asia, the other from New Guinea and Australia. Even if they lived in the same forest, they still would never be as physically close as they are forced to be in the home terrarium. The problem with ectothermic animals, is that they don't show signs of illness, generally, until its too late. So your wrong in your statement and its only a matter of time before there is a problem.

CaptainMorgantown

Both Whites and Golden tree frogs are found in Indonesia, so they are both found on the same continent and are in the same country. The breeder that I bought all of my frogs from told me that he has housed goldens and dumpys together for years and has never had any problems. I asked him if there would be any trouble with putting them with my dumpy, and he said that if they were the same size, there would be no problem. I feed all of my frogs individually, and all of them are eating, none are lethargic.

I am not trying to be a jerk or anything, but the only people that I have heard say not to house frog species together are the people on the internet. I have two friends that own frogs, and they have two different species mixed also and one has had her frogs for years. I just think it's not a big deal as long as you are smart about doing it :/

I have made some references to a friend of mine who had a few different frogs in a tank. This included some White's and a golden treefrog. There was no aggression towards each other, and it seemed as if there are no problems for a while. However, she did have one get red-leg, and she had to isolate it. Then a few months later, one of her frogs died. I didn't think anything of it until hearing all the good advice on here saying not to mix frogs.

Kurt

White's are not found in Asia. Indonesian White's come from Irian Jaya, which is the western half of New Guinea. Goldens may be found Indonesia, but the closest they come to New Guinea is the island of Suluwesi.

Come to the NEWC or the Havard Museum of Comparative Zoology and they will back up what I am saying.

CaptainMorgantown

The western half of New Guinea is Indonesia.

Goldens are found in Indonesia and New Guinea:
    Common Bush Frog

Whites are found in Indonesia and New Guinea:
    White's Tree Frog (Litoria caerulea) Species Profile: Housing, Diet, and Care

I really do care about my frogs and I did my research before I put them with each other, and if the day comes when one or the other two become sick, then I will gladly separate them.

Rokit

i was thinking more like red eyed and tiger legged...

Kurt

This is the range map for Polypedates leucomystax - http://berkeleymapper.berkeley.edu/r...1&opacity=0.50&

Litoria caerulea - http://berkeleymapper.berkeley.edu/r...1&opacity=0.50&

You will notice that the White's treefrog barely ranges on to New Guinea and that most of it's territory is in the Outback, which is mostly desert. Yes they can be found in tropical rain forest as well, i.e., New Guinea and Cape York, QLD.

As far as Polypedates leucomystax being present on New Guinea, it is an introduced species. Litoria caerulea has been introduced to southern Florida. Would you house green treefrogs, Hyla cinerea with one?

You can either choose to believe me or not. At this point I don't really care, because I know you will do whatever you will do regardless of what I have to say. I have been keeping frogs for a very long time, as well as writing and lecturing about them, I do know what I am talking about.

CaptainMorgantown

I'm honestly not trying to offend you or anything. You pretty much said that my opinion was wrong, I know that you didn't say those words, when all I gave at first was my opinion. But you pretty much just proved my original point: Whites and Goldens are found in the same habitat. Yes, some Whites live and thrive in very different conditions, but they CAN live with Golden tree frogs. It's not a crime to put different species together if they don't eat or hurt each other, so please don't act like I'm a cruel person.

Also, when my other Whites tree frog was a baby, I did have him in a tank with a green tree frog, and they are both still alive and well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information