Thread: New Salamander Fungus Found: Are More Pet Trade Regulations on the Way?

findiviglio

Default New Salamander Fungus Found: Are More Pet Trade Regulations on the Way?

Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over20 years with the Bronx Zoo
    As a herpetologist and animal keeper, I’ve long been interested in the emerging amphibian disease commonly known as Chytrid or BD (Batrachochytrium dendrobatitis); please see my other articles, linked below. Believed to be responsible for the recent extinctions ofover 200 frog species, this fungus remains a serious threat. In 2013, a related fungus, B. salamandrivorans, or BS, was identified. Since then, studies have revealed it to be as lethal as BD, and responsible for wiping-out the Netherlands wild Fire Salamanders. Once limited to Asian salamanders, some of which carry the fungus without becoming ill, BS seems to have found its way to Europe via the importation of Chinese Fire-Bellied Newts and other pet trade species. In order to stem the tide, the USA and the European Union are now considering import and sale regulations. Read the rest of this article here New Salamander Fungus Found: Are More Pet Trade Regulations on the Way?
    Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place Welcomes Frank Indiviglio | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Salamander Fungus Found: Are More Pet Trade Regulations on the Way?

Hi Frank! It's is sad how human hobbies and activities can accidentally move pathogens around. If collectors and importers practiced strict quarantine and testing procedures; the risk factor could pretty much be eliminated. Then captive bred species from those imports could provide responsible pet owners demand .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

findiviglio

Default Re: New Salamander Fungus Found: Are More Pet Trade Regulations on the Way?

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Hi Frank! It's is sad how human hobbies and activities can accidentally move pathogens around. If collectors and importers practiced strict quarantine and testing procedures; the risk factor could pretty much be eliminated. Then captive bred species from those imports could provide responsible pet owners demand .
    This one (or the related species, in frogs) is proving to be very complicated..still no clear answers despite so much time and research; would seem import bans are the only way to go until some progress is made on understanding the fungus' natural history, unfortunately. Best, Frank

5. This member thanks findiviglio for this post:

Thread Information