Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medication and Single Quarantine Tank?

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Medication and Single Quarantine Tank?

No prob, but get prime, it us about 6$ and will last you for a long time
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

2. This member thanks Lija for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    No prob, but get prime, it us about 6$ and will last you for a long time
    Thanks, I'll go look for that asap!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Didn't make it to Petco to pick up any water conditioner, but I scored some silk plants and another nice 5 gallon tank at Goodwill. That makes 2 extras, so I will be able to have 2 nice, clean and sterilized QT tanks ready to go to transfer the frogs into while I clean out and sanitize the others. That will keep from having them in the much smaller critter keepers any length of time while cleaning up. I also went to the farm and garden store and picked up some glazed ceramic pots and saucers to replace my porous terracotta ones. Going to be dosing the frogs tomorrow when I have some help. Will try to get pics too.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [United States]

Lisa,
    Just want to say what great care you are giving your frogs

The de-chlor is needed ( I use ExoTerr Aquatize ) it's cheap and comes w/ a dropper.
    Simply save a gallon water bottle to make a gallon at a time.

The vits:
    Consider alternating more than one brand:
    http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...pplements.html

The head-tilt:
    Sometimes they can develop an inner ear infection causing there equilibrium to be off > if this is the case I believe the Metro will work ; you could ask the vet.
    or
    It's possible ( of course very hard to know) it could be from pain? He could be retracting or what is called "reeling"

QT tanks

They look perfect. May I suggest...you try ...if possible... to separate the tanks. This will reduce the possibility of any cross contamination.
    You kind of want to set up a 'lab' type environment. Lots of gloves! Change gloves between tanks. Careful never to mix soaking dishes
    Keep the trash emptied!

Good luck with all of this ---- you have a big job there !

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

7. This member thanks flybyferns for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    Lisa,
    Just want to say what great care you are giving your frogs

The de-chlor is needed ( I use ExoTerr Aquatize ) it's cheap and comes w/ a dropper.
    Simply save a gallon water bottle to make a gallon at a time.

The vits:
    Consider alternating more than one brand:
    http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...pplements.html

The head-tilt:
    Sometimes they can develop an inner ear infection causing there equilibrium to be off > if this is the case I believe the Metro will work ; you could ask the vet.
    or
    It's possible ( of course very hard to know) it could be from pain? He could be retracting or what is called "reeling"

QT tanks

They look perfect. May I suggest...you try ...if possible... to separate the tanks. This will reduce the possibility of any cross contamination.
    You kind of want to set up a 'lab' type environment. Lots of gloves! Change gloves between tanks. Careful never to mix soaking dishes
    Keep the trash emptied!

Good luck with all of this ---- you have a big job there !

Thanks! Yep it's definitely a big job, but I love these guys ^_^ Will look for a second type of vitamin, and I definitely like the idea of the water conditioner with a dropper!

Soaking dishes are easy because they are so different, lol. Milk glass for Jelly Bean and sHEila (who is answering geese flying over head now, oi!) and a purple glazed pot saucer for Shirl and Honey. I hope the two of them will adjust to silk plants because they sure have loved their live dracaena, but with daily sanitizing it's not good for them to have it at this point. Is a 10% bleach solution safe to spray on/dip the live plant in so I can use it for them again later? How long will it have to remain in the solution? How much exactly is 10% bleach when making it by the gallon?

Thanks for all the help everyone!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [Canada]

How did it go with worms?

Bleach - to get 10% solution you need 1 part of 100% bleach and 9 parts of water. Plastic plants are easier to desinfect then silk ones
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    How did it go with worms?

Bleach - to get 10% solution you need 1 part of 100% bleach and 9 parts of water. Plastic plants are easier to disinfect then silk ones
    I. am. a. nervous. WRECK!

Ok, well it was H- E- Double Hocky Sticks to get the worms injected. First thing out of the fridge I thought I'd killed the darn things and they had all been refrigerated to death, but I picked out a few and held them in my hand for a few minutes and they started to move, *whew!* Then was trying to get the very minute amounts of med from the bottle, to the small syringe, to the syringe with the needle, and into each worm. sHEila was first, and I put him in a small cricket keeper with his worm-- GLOMB! Yay! One down three to go... had some trouble getting the itty bitty 0.02 ml into the needled syringe but finally got that into a worm for Jelly Bean. sHEila was still in the keeper so I dropped the worm in front of Jelly, had to nudge her to wake her up a bit, but she finally saw the worm and MUNCH! Good Jelly! I put sHeila back with her and went to do Shirley's worm and give it to her. Honey was up in the corner asleep so figured I'd try to feed Shirl where she was due to her head tilt... welllll she saw an errant cricket and grabbed it instead! But then she saw the worm, jumped and...missed, guh. I picked up the worm and held it near her right side, luckily she grabbed for it and managed to chug it down! Then, the one who made me nearly lose my mind tonight, HONEY- grr! #1. I had a really hard time getting the med into her worm, in fact I accidentally put a second hole in it and some of the med leaked out! So I smeared it around on the thing best I could and took it to Honey, who I put into the cricket keeper.... and she FREAKED out! Jump Leap Bonk Clonk! I had to cover the thing with a paper towel So I left her in there and went to disinfect the first back up tank and everything for it. My gloves had a leak in them so I've been all eaten up with bleach water... *groan* Anyway, took the nice clean new tank in there and she was still having a snit. So I put Shirley in the new tank, gave the old one a regular clean and water change, then stuck Honey in there with her worm in a jar lid. I watched while she floated in the water dish for a moment then climbed out toward the lid. At first she didn't do anything, but then the worm started crawling around the edge of the lid and she spotted it... I snuck out and left her alone. Went back in about a half hour later and the worm was gone! *HUGE SIGH!* Not too happy that she didn't get her full dose, but I'm glad she got something!

Now, here's one thing that worries me a bit, the worms got a bit of air into them too, will that harm the frogs??? They were good sized worms, about an inch long, and fatty as wax worms are, I decided to go ahead and not get them any crickets tonight (not counting the one Shril got) so will give them their dusted crickets tomorrow... hope that will be ok for them. I didn't get sHEila and Jell Bean's tank done either, so will have to do that tomorrow sometime in between laundry and mother's doc appt... trying to balance these daily disinfecting isn't going to be easy, oog
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Good for you, dosing all your frogs! I'm no expert but I don't think the air will hurt. After all, frogs gulp their food so quickly, who knows how much air they get with their food anyway. Hope your schedule works out and remember the treatment shouldn't last forever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information