Thread: Crooked/Bent Tails in Grey Tree Frog Tadpoles - Help!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Unhappy Crooked/Bent Tails in Grey Tree Frog Tadpoles - Help!

I have one tree frog left and he has not morphed yet. He did start to grow hi back legs and then they just seemed to stop growing one day before reaching full size. Now it has been a good month and a half since this happend and his tail has gottne really kinked up in these past few weeks and rather quickly as well. I need to know if there is anything I can do for this little guy or is his fate sealed. I have lost al of my other 3 tree frog tads to various things and one of the 3 months after he morphed. I just don't understand why I am having a problem with tadpoles and kinked tails. I lost my second loepard frog, Chip, to a kinked tail as well. Sadly he passed away about 3 weeks ago from his kinked tail deformity. I have been putting vitamin and calcium supplements in the water with them since I got the tads and they usually eat very well. This little guy seems to have something else going on though. He stopped eating well and now has a VERY baddly kinked tail! Please help!? If there is anything at all i can do to help him recover or morph faster so he can finish morphing and out grow this deformity, please tell me? I am willing to do what every it may take to help him out. I don't want to lose another tadpole. 4 of my 7 tadpoles form this year have morphed and died from who know what and 3 of the 7 did not even make it to adult-hood. It is so sad because like I said I took very good care of them. Regular water changes, healthy food, supplemts, and sunlight in a tank that kept them at the perfect temp. I just don't understand what is going on with my frogs. Pease help!

P.S.
    All my adult frogs seem to be thriving and doing fantastic. It is only my tadoles and froglets I have had an issue with. This is my first year taking care of tadpoles. Even if there is nothing I can do to save my last baby of the year, any advice on preventing it would be helpful. I want to get more tads next spring and try again. Thanks for all your help in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Crooked/Bent Tails in Grey Tree Frog Tadpoles - Help!

I wish I could help you, but haven't a clue as to what is going on. I did a bunch of Gray tads this summer, but didn't have any issues.

Would it be possible to get one of your tads or froglets necropsied? Is there a vet with that kind of specialized knowledge that you could consult? Could you possibly have some sort of parasitic infection going on?

This must be extremely frustrating for you.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Crooked/Bent Tails in Grey Tree Frog Tadpoles - Help!

Not sure I have ever heard of anyone adding vitamin supplements to the water... Would need more information on your tadpole setup, water type, water change schedule, food, lighting, feeding schedule, food type... the more details the better.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Thread Information