Thread: Attached but is it bad? (Gray tree frog)

skully23

Default Attached but is it bad? (Gray tree frog)

Every summer I go to my Grandma's to swim and there always seems to be a few new tree frogs laying around. I believe they are called, "Gray Tree Frogs."

Well this year I am quite attached to one that I named, Kermit. Kermit is green and not gray but he looks exactly like the gray ones. He is very calm and doesn't mind being handled. I have become attached because everyday I go back and I find him around somewhere and he never jumps off my hand like another gray one I had found.
    I don't know if its a male or female..Idk how to tell.

Reason I bring this up is because I want to bring him home! I know this is probably bad because he is wild but I really like him and I don't want him to get hurt. During the summer alot of people come to swim and he is often on the deck hiding under floaties or on the walls sitting. I don't want someone to accidently squash him or something and I would love to feed him more than he probably finds.

Can I take him in? I know all of you will say no but think about the risks he is in, around the pool and chlorine...
    (If not I would really love to find out how I can get my very own gray tree frog tadpole or frog...name sites?)
    Thanks sorry for the longness and if you need pictures..thats going to have to wait until I go back and find him again.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: Attached but is it bad? (Gray tree frog)

The Gray Treefrog, Hyla.versicolor LeConte, 1825 or Hyla.chrysoscelis Cope, 1880 are extremely variable in color. If you decide to take it in you need to be committed to the best possible care and environment that you can provide. Here is a care sheet for you to look over and decide if this is something you want to do.
    http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frog-c...ysoscelis.html

Tropicok

Since you are so attached to this frog and can commit to long term care I would advise you to take him home. My only advice is to capture him in a glass or plastic jar with damp moss inside, don't use your hands (for his health, not yours). This is how many frog researchers and keepers got their start. I usually tell folks that captive aniamls from a breeders are best; but be prepared to get rid of any parasites he will have. This does not mean to always go out and capture wild critters on an impulse. And I know there will be negative comments to this advice.

skully23

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicok View Post
    Since you are so attached to this frog and can commit to long term care I would advise you to take him home. My only advice is to capture him in a glass or plastic jar with damp moss inside, don't use your hands (for his health, not yours). This is how many frog researchers and keepers got their start. I usually tell folks that captive aniamls from a breeders are best; but be prepared to get rid of any parasites he will have. This does not mean to always go out and capture wild critters on an impulse. And I know there will be negative comments to this advice.
    How do your hands harm them?
    I have a ten gallon glass tank with screen lid, will this work and what lights do I need?
    I have crickets but I'd like to give wild caught choices. Do daddy long legs hurt? I see frogs eat those alot. What can be fed?

skully23

Quote Originally Posted by NW Amphibian Rescue View Post
    The Gray Treefrog, Hyla.versicolor LeConte, 1825 or Hyla.chrysoscelis Cope, 1880 are extremely variable in color. If you decide to take it in you need to be committed to the best possible care and environment that you can provide. Here is a care sheet for you to look over and decide if this is something you want to do.
    http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frog-c...ysoscelis.html
    I did read over that last night when I was posting this Thanks

skully23

I was there today and found Kermit! He was a very light green today because he was turning grey. I need help on this.

I have a ten gallon tank I can use and I think I may bring Kermit a friend home with him if I take him home.

I'm going to use paper towel for substrate and keep it moist.
    Have a nice size bowl of water.
    Hanging leaves and some vines from a dollar store.
    Screen lid.
    Few branches/logs for hiding.

I don't have a light source besides the heat lamp I have. What light source do I use?

Julia

You do not need any special lights for these frogs. Heat lamps tend to dry out the terrarium. Most people use under tank heaters to maintain temps. The Gray Tree Frog care sheet lists the correct temperatures needed to keep them healthy. Good luck with your new pet!

Thread Information