Thread: Injecting Waxworms With Med...?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question Injecting Waxworms With Med...?

Well it's official, I'll be medicating my 4 juvenile WTFs with metronidazole for coccidiosis. Someone, either on here or on one of the FB frog group I'm on, said that the liquid med can be injected into a waxworm and then fed to each frog to medicate it (the vet said to medicate once a week for 3 weeks) #1. Where do I find waxworms that are small enough to feed to Jelly Bean, who is only about 1 1/2" and weighs 5 grams, and #2. How on earth do I inject liquid med into a waxworm without it coming out and getting wasted?? Anyone have a vid on how to do this? Any help would sure be appreciated!

Name:  WTF Wt Collage Oct 23 2014.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  89.0 KB
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Injecting Waxworms With Med...?

That's an interesting idea, but I personally don't think you should attempt it. Even though force feeding your frog may not be the most pleasant thing in the world, you have to do what you have to do to make sure your frogs are nice and healthy. Best of luck in treating your frogs!

0.1.0 Psuedacris regilla
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strider18 View Post
    That's an interesting idea, but I personally don't think you should attempt it. Even though force feeding your frog may not be the most pleasant thing in the world, you have to do what you have to do to make sure your frogs are nice and healthy. Best of luck in treating your frogs!

0.1.0 Psuedacris regilla
    See that's the thing though, they eat great, I don't have to force feed them. I was looking for alternates instead of forcing the liquid medication down their gullets. The vet said if injecting the med into the worm was successful, and they would eat the worm, that it would be ok to do it that way. I just have no idea if I can find wax worms small enough for my tiniest frog (all WTFS) and how to inject the med into the worm... I did ask him about applying the medication topically to their backs (like someone else here did) but he didn't recommend that way.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

The only way you could get the meds into a worm would be a needle. I don't think you can easily get a needle to inject the worms with the meds :/

0.1.0 Psuedacris regilla

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strider18 View Post
    The only way you could get the meds into a worm would be a needle. I don't think you can easily get a needle to inject the worms with the meds :/

0.1.0 Psuedacris regilla
    The have some small needles and syringes at the farm store, I just don't know how successful it will be, especially depending on the side of the worm and the size of the dosage, but I'll try. I think what I will do is make a test with water first to see if it works... I won't feed those btw.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Let us know how it goes!

0.1.0 Psuedacris regilla

8. This member thanks Strider18 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Will do! Thanks!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    Well it's official, I'll be medicating my 4 juvenile WTFs with metronidazole for coccidiosis. Someone, either on here or on one of the FB frog group I'm on, said that the liquid med can be injected into a waxworm and then fed to each frog to medicate it (the vet said to medicate once a week for 3 weeks) #1. Where do I find waxworms that are small enough to feed to Jelly Bean, who is only about 1 1/2" and weighs 5 grams, and #2. How on earth do I inject liquid med into a waxworm without it coming out and getting wasted?? Anyone have a vid on how to do this? Any help would sure be appreciated!

Name:  WTF Wt Collage Oct 23 2014.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  89.0 KB
    Hi,

I have done this with crickets. The problems is..... they die immediately.
    You could wait for a shed....and drop the injectedfeeder in when they open their mouth.

Each time I have used Metro....( many times for tree frogs !! )... Its has been prescribed
    pre-mixed for dropping the medication on the frog's back - daily.

Perhaps you could question as to weather this could be done for you.

Hang in there

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

11. This member thanks flybyferns for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'd ask the vet if the mixture you already have could be dropped on the frog's back and absorbed through the skin. It's so easy that way. Maybe there's a reason for giving it orally, or maybe the vet's just more experienced with reptiles than frogs. If you do end up doing that in the future I'd remove the water bowl for about an hour so the frog can't soak it off immediately. (Basing this idea on the vet telling me not to spray the frog down for a while after giving medicine through skin.)

13. This member thanks elly for this post:

I have injected medication into waxworms, to medicate birds back when I was doing wildlife rehab, and it worked. I don't believe that it killed the worm, though I could be wrong. The bird would have eaten it anyway, as it would have been with other worms, and they don't need their prey to be moving.

I would think you could find some worms that were small enough for your frog in an ordinary container. They could probably take a bigger waxworm than cricket, since the waxworms are soft-bodied and don't put up much of a fight.

15. This member thanks Crunchy Frog for this post:

Xubby

I'm a bit late to the party, but I did something very similar with good success last year. Instead of waxworms, I used the smaller calciworms (soldier fly larvae). Long term, yes, it's probably fatal to the insect, but they live and squirm long enough to be eaten. Unlike crickets, caterpillars and maggots are a little bit more... deflated/stretchable, so injecting 1ml of something isn't nearly as traumatic.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xubby View Post
    I'm a bit late to the party, but I did something very similar with good success last year. Instead of waxworms, I used the smaller calciworms (soldier fly larvae). Long term, yes, it's probably fatal to the insect, but they live and squirm long enough to be eaten. Unlike crickets, caterpillars and maggots are a little bit more... deflated/stretchable, so injecting 1ml of something isn't nearly as traumatic.
    Here are the dosages for my frogs, how would you recommend injecting the med into the worms? Jelly Bean, 5 g wt: 0.02 ml
    Sheila, 9 g wt: 0.04 ml
    Honey-Lime, 7 g wt: 0.03 ml
    Shirley, 11 g wt: 0.04 ml
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Xubby

Unless you have something capable of both accurately measuring a dosage that small and stiff enough to inject, I wouldn't try anything on your own. Those are awfully small quantities, so you might see if it's safe to dilute the antibiotic with saline solution or some form of sterile water. I'd be surprised if the vet didn't have a micropipette on hand to perform the dilution for you. I'd dilute it as little as possible, but not so little that you uncomfortable with the accuracy of your dosing. One part in 10 would give you dosages from 0.2cc to 0.4cc, which should be pretty easy to do if you have steady hands.

Once diluted, it's as simple as grabbing some small syringes (1cc should be fine, unless you dilute it a lot more) and injecting the bugs. I made my inject near the back and tried to go as deep as possible through the maggot. It sounds terrible, and frankly, it is, but injecting the antibiotic as far as you can from the injection site helps ensure the highest retention of the drug as possible. Going shallow and having half of it ooze out rather defeats the point, and I'd be really scared of accidentally over medicating to compensate. Everything has side effects.

That said, obviously run all this past your vet first, and make sure to ask him to double check if the drug can safely be diluted. I'm not a medical professional, so please take everything I've said with a grain of salt.

Nationality
    [United States]

I went through this same thing when I brought home 3 frogs from PetCo. The typical size wax worms you get at the pet store will be fine. WTF pretty much eat whatever they can get into their mouths, and wax worms are so soft you won't have a problem with them getting them down. Your Vet should be able to give you a few needles & syringes to make this work. Once you've used the needle just make sure you clean it with boiling water so it'll be ready for the next time.

The other options is a dosing needle.Ball-tip Dosing Needles - Stainless Steel I've also used these, but it is definitely a more invasive method.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

20. This member thanks kueluck for this post:

Thread Information