Thread: Spray Foam Background

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Spray Foam Background

Spray Foam Background

One of the popular styles used in the hobby today is using Spray foam to create a 3D background. In this section I will do my best to describe how to use spray foam and some of the popular methods used to cover the foam.

Applying Spray foam

** If this is your first time using spray foam I suggest testing out how fast or slow it can come out on a piece of cardboard outside of your tank. Let it cure on the cardboard (24 hours) so you can see how much it can expand.

When applying spray foam it is best to apply it in a thin layer. If you want to add depth to the back ground it is best to add it in thin layers and let each layer cure for 24 hours. Adding the foam to thick will result in a disastrous situation. The foam will take days or a week to fully cure, it will collapse and spread out. Thin layers is the only way to go.

As I said it is important to let the foam cure for 24 hours per side. Add the foam to the back and let it cure, then turn the tank and do one side and cure, and then the other side. You can also add silicone to the glass prior to starting to foaming. This will help the foam stick better, but is not required. If you use silicone it will need to cure for 24 hours prior to adding the foam.

While the foam is fresh is when you will want to place any wood, cork, net pots, or anything into the foam and let the foam cure around it. Below are some pics of cork flats and some wood being placed into the foam to secure it in place.

If you are adding net pots to the back ground you can place a small ballon in the pot and inflate it some to prevent the foam from expanding into the pot. You can also put a straw in the pot so it creates a place for the excess water to drain out of the pot as needed (the end of the straw will need to be outside of the foam so it can be cut flush when the foam is cured.

Now your foam is cured and it is ugly. There are several methods you can use to cover the foam and make it look realistic. One method is to cover the foam in silicone and then press coco fiber, peat moss, or really anything that is frog safe and not toxic onto the silicone and let it cure. You will want to do this in a well ventilated area and use rubber gloves. The downside of this method is you get ONE chance to cover the background good. Silicone is amazing stuff. It will stick to almost everything except silicone so you have to get it right the first time

Here is a picture of coco fiber pressed over silicone <the end product>

The other method I will cover here is using Titebond III wood glue - One of the big benefits of Titebond over silicone is it comes right off your hands if you get some on you. This is by far my favorite way to cover the foam.

You can apply the wood glue in a couple different ways You can either apply it directly to the foam (like the silicone) and then press some amphibian safe material onto it and let it cure. The benefit of the glue is it WILL stick to itself so if you have some bare spots you can add more glue and the covering material.

Another method is to mix some peat moss, coco fiber etc into the glue. This will create a nice textured surface over the foam when it dries. It will also tint the glue and hide the foam better. Just paint it onto the foam.

You can still press some material onto the glue before it dries. The choice is yours. I like the look of the glue with the material in it and choose to not press anything onto it. A lot of people who use the titebond 3 will do 2 or 3 coats of it to make sure everything is covered good.

You can choose to add some color to the back ground if you do not press anything into it. You can do it easily using acrylic paint. The method I use is called the Dry brush method. You load the brush with paint and then wipe it nearly dry and then lightly drag the brush over the foam+titebond III slurry and it could look like this (only better because I lack any true painting skills :P )

The possibilities with Spray Foam are limited only by your patience and imagination. Taking your time while doing this method will result in a much better end product. Patience Patience Patience is the one common thread through every step of building a custom tank.

I hope this first step in custom background helps you in some small way. Everyone here at the frog forum is here to help and answer any additional questions you may have.
    Last edited by DigitalPunk; October 23rd, 2014 at 08:17 PM.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

2. 4 members thank DigitalPunk for this post:

3. # ADS