Thread: New WTF owner

Kialo

Default New WTF owner

HELLO.
    My daughter and I just bought 2. Thought we had this all figured out but there is so much conflicting information. Right now I need to know the best stuff to keep aft their flooring. Any and all advice is Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414029661.251914.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  118.6 KBappreciated!

Banned
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Default New WTF owner

For the substrate I use coconut fibre which is easily found in any pet store. You can also use coconut husk, a jungle mix and I usually add a layer of moss on top of the dirt. Hope I can help! Any other questions just let me know. Also, don't be alarmed if they start puffing up and stretching the skin off of themselves into their mouths. They have nutrients in their skin that they like to eat. C

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

StickySally

Default New WTF owner

Very cute. Be sure to watch your smaller frog. Your bigger frog may mistake it for food.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New WTF owner

Cocount husk or fibre, plantation soil substrate. Moss is not always the best since if digested when hunting for crickets or other live foods it could make him sick, so try to avoid moss or any other toxic plants; moss is not nescessarily a bad thing, you just should trust it. Live plants are better than artificial and artificial logs and other good hiding spots are very highly recomended. A high level of humidity is required, frogs must be misted with a spray bottle, non-chlorine water must be used and water dish too. Humidity and humid soil is needed anyway for your plants, natural lightbulb and lamp needed too.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Artificial plants are okay, you just have to clean them sometimes. It may be easier to set up a tank without live plants, but a well set up live planted tank may have to be cleaned a little less. Frogs aren't exactly careful what they grab when they're hunting insects so that's why moss is sometimes not the best choice. If you still want moss you can lower the risk of the frog getting stopped up by feeding in a bowl or with tweezers rather than having free-roaming insects. Generally anything big enough to fit in a frog's mouth but too large to exit easily can be a problem and there are lots of posts by people who've lost frogs to impaction.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It's also good to have lots of climbing spaces so the frogs don't spend too much time on the substrate.

Tongue Flicker

Hey there congrats and welcome aboard!

Thread Information