Thread: Best supplements

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Best supplements

Hi guys,

ive ve not been on this forum for quite a while.

im interested in the best supplement regimes that work well for a healthy frog.
    I would also like your recommendations on what brands and types of supplements are best. I need them to be available in the UK as that's where I am.

thanks for your help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Best supplements

Oh one thing I should of said is that repashy products seem to be fairly easy to get hold of. If anyone could recommend their products and a good schedule for supplementing.

thanks

Nationality
    [United States]

I have been using repashy calcium+ at every feeding and then using repashy vitamin A once a month. I haven't had an issue once I started doing this schedule!
    Engineer by day; Frogger by night
    thefroglady.wordpress.com

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by thefroglady View Post
    I have been using repashy calcium+ at every feeding and then using repashy vitamin A once a month. I haven't had an issue once I started doing this schedule!

how long have you been dosing this?
    have you tried it with a baby pacman?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Repashy Calcium Plus is an all in one supplement and works great. I know of several people who use it exclusively now.

If an all in one isn't your thing you can us a mixture of Repcal Calcium With D3 and Repashy Supervite, If Alternating a Calcium supplement and a Multivitamin off the calcium more times a week than the multivitamin. I do this rotation presently and do Calcium 3 to 4 times a week and Multivitamin 2 times a week.

Supplementing every feeding is a good idea and a good habit to get into.

Vitamin A is good especially if you are breeding your frogs, but you can OD your frogs on vitamin A so please use it sparingly and with caution.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalPunk View Post
    Repashy Calcium Plus is an all in one supplement and works great. I know of several people who use it exclusively now.

If an all in one isn't your thing you can us a mixture of Repcal Calcium With D3 and Repashy Supervite, If Alternating a Calcium supplement and a Multivitamin off the calcium more times a week than the multivitamin. I do this rotation presently and do Calcium 3 to 4 times a week and Multivitamin 2 times a week.

Supplementing every feeding is a good idea and a good habit to get into.

Vitamin A is good especially if you are breeding your frogs, but you can OD your frogs on vitamin A so please use it sparingly and with caution.

Thanks for for the information. I think I'll buy the calcium plus and use this every feed with the odd action with vitamin A.

quite a while back I lost a small pacman, he became week and lost the use of his front legs.
    now I wasn't giving him vitimins only calcium. I think this may have caused him to go down hill. I want to ensure this does not happen again! I have realised my mistake and want to give another pacman the best home possible.

Nationality
    [United States]

Limit the vitamin A to 1 time a month

Nationality
    [United States]

Paul, Are there any downsides to using an all in one supplement?
    In my mind I see it as a balanced meal, compared to having to alternate between the two supplements. For example to describe what I mean with imagery say, drinking milk one day and eating a bunch of carrots for the next and alternating every day rather than just eating a balanced meal everyday.

I would imagine the only real answer to this is the actual amount of nutrition that the supplements provide at time of feeding. Like you said, ODing on Vitamin A can be dangerous, but would it even be possible at all using an all in one supplement?

I haven't gotten into the habit of properly supplementing every meal for my pacmans but I have nailed down their eating habits and schedules.

Nationality
    [United States]

Still curious on the follow up question comparing the pros/cons on the all in one supplement VS alternating between supplements. This'll be beneficial knowledge when I attempt to make frog sausages and anyone else who cares :O

Nationality
    [United States]

Donna: You do not need to use any other products if using Repashy's Calcium Plus with every feeding. All my large (non-Darts/Mantellas) are on it and they are fine. If using separate products; this might help with schedule: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html. If you lost a Pacman before; recommend review this article before second try and to quarantine the new one for one month. Good luck!

Lecroixe: I've had frogs on Repashy's Calcium Plus for over a year and they are healthy with no issues. It's not possible for me or most frog keepers to do a scientific comparison of which is better; just to present observations .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

12. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

The counter point to how carlos is doing it is a simple view of variety is the spice of life.

Take humans for example. We have a few basic nutritional needs in order for us to be healthy, but adding a variety to our diets makes a "healthier" if you will.

What I am meaning to say is that doing a rotation of several supplements along with a variety of foods will theoretically provide your pets with a healthier nutritional balance.

I saw all this with no real preference one way or the other. I have been toying with the idea myself to switch to a single daily supplement with Vit A mixed in 2 times a month simply because I currenty buy 4 differnet supplements that I have to throw out every 6 months and replace. It would be cheaper to buy only one, but I have not made a decision yet. Some people (who I respect their opinions and advice greatly) are on the Multiple supplement and varied diet side of this conversation and that tends to keep me leaning that way, but then I have friends like Carlos who I also respect a great deal on the single supplement side of the conversation.

I am not a scientist and can not offer proof one way or the other. What I can offer as advice is to try one way. See how your frogs act and then try the other way. Find out what you feel is benefiting your frogs the best and stick with it.

Paul

14. This member thanks DigitalPunk for this post:

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Donna: You do not need to use any other products if using Repashy's Calcium Plus with every feeding. All my large (non-Darts/Mantellas) are on it and they are fine. If using separate products; this might help with schedule: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html. If you lost a Pacman before; recommend review this article before second try and to quarantine the new one for one month. Good luck!

Lecroixe: I've had frogs on Repashy's Calcium Plus for over a year and they are healthy with no issues. It's not possible for me or most frog keepers to do a scientific comparison of which is better; just to present observations .

Thanks mentat, I have already read that article several times recently. I'm happy all the other conditions were good. The only thing I can I was doing wrong is not giving multivitamin.
    So the repashy arrived mail order. Hopfully I have no issues this time.

im so glad this forum exists as there is very little info on these frogs here in the uk.

16. This member thanks donna w for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Ah, Thanks Carlos & Paul. I've been toying with the idea of frog sausages for the longest time and through my own research the meat alone wouldn't provide the proper nutrients that the frogs need. It's good to know that I can't really go wrong with either unless I end up in some sort of freak incident.

I currently have two supplements myself, one for calcium and another for vitamin A and I generally feed both my frogs their supplements on the same day. I don't see any sense in having different feeding schedules for the little guys, keeping them on the same feeding schedule.

I'll have to order a multi-supplement for when I have to toss these or run out and see how my own pacmans react.

Nationality
    [United States]

Lecroixe: Mixing CA/D3 supplements with other products could interfere with CA adsorption in frog's system .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

19. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Whoops haha, for lack of clarification I meant that I fed both frogs a single supplement together and another day of the week/month they would get the other. That is good to know though, didn't realize mixing CA/D3 in particular with anything else could cause lack of absorption.

Thread Information