Thread: Hibernating Gray tree frog

PeachyRabbit

Default Hibernating Gray tree frog

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. I have rescued a Gray tree frog within the last 3 weeks. I live in New England and the weather has been very up and down. I have my Gray in a 20-30 gallon octagonal tank, It is much taller than it is wide. I am using coconut substrate for now and I will be going to NEHERP on wednesday to pick up a bunch of froggy supplies. I am always afraid I am doing something wrong. I am changing the substate to their special mix and I am adding springtails as a clean-up crew,Flat leaf litter for him to walk on,A hide away, A sloping frog tub that he can easily slide in and out of without fear of drowning, Bamboo poles, A plant made for GTFs, water conditioner etc. I hope I am on the right track. I thought that because I had well water that it would be ok for him but I read that I should still treat his water so I will. I have left him alone for the most part besides adding crickets, But I have noticed that he has dug a hole and he has been in it for two days. At first I could see his cute face, But now I can't! He did this a week ago, But I thought he miraculously escaped so I searched under the leaves and found him. He seemed very sluggish. I put a cricket in and he ate it. Only now, I can't see him at all. Is he hibernating??? Is it dangerous to wake him up when I change the substrate? Is it normal for them to hibernate when it is 71 degrees? I keep humidity around 60-70 After I mist though, It climbs to 90. I am really afraid that I can't see him but I don't want to stress him. Also on this dark substrate, I cannot see froggy poo. I am sorry about the super long post. I just adore my pet, Just like all of you Froggy hugs from Peachy Rabbit

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hibernating Gray tree frog

Are you sure of the humidity? I have only had tree frogs burrow once and it was because he was dying. I have heard of them doing it when it is too dry. You could remove the substrate and set up a quarantine environment instead. Just use unprinted paper towel on the bottom of the tank that are changed every 1-2 days. That way you can see if he is pooping and if it is normal. Make sure the water is changed daily. Please read through the grey tree frog care sheet - Frog Forum - Gray Tree Frog Care and Breeding
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

PeachyRabbit

Thank you so much, I will put paper towel down right away!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You're welcome! I'm assuming he's wild caught, and that means he's likely to carry some sort of parasite. A fecal test would be really helpful if you notice that he's ill in any way.

PeachyRabbit

Thank you Amy, As soon as I took him out he looked great but I put him in his froggy bath which he stayed in for about ten minutes. I put down the paper towel like you told me to and I am so glad I did! He went poo right away so I examined it to make sure it was normal. I just wished I saved it now to have it tested. I will save the next one. I dusted a cricket and dropped it in and "GULP" that was quick. I also misted the tank as you said. His coloring is great. I failed to mention in my last post that he does not yet have a hide away spot. Not until wednesday. I thought he would just hang out in the trees. Maybe he made his own hiding place? Or he is partially hibernating? Also, I am starting to think he is a she. The throat is lighter, But it does have quite a few dark spots. The thing is though, Tickles looks a lot like the pictures of female grays. I named him Tickles because he seriously is ticklish! It is super cute. I am learning as I go so thank you so much for helping me Amy. Anyone else with advice is greatly appreciated. This is a wonderful forum. I am so glad to be here.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

He doesn't need a hide towards the bottom. A couple of branches and some leaves up top will make him very happy! You can also cover multiple sides of the tank so that (s)he feels more comfortable. I keep 3/6 sides of my hex tank covered at all times. My red eyes have 3/4 sides covered but when I first got them, I had 3.5/4 sides covered. I left just enough open to peek in on them without having them stressed out in their new home.

8. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

PeachyRabbit

I cover half of his tank with a black pashmina, No light can penetrate it and I also cover just the side where the cricket holders are so that he won't bump his little nose against the glass. I keep small and medium crickets. He doesn't really bother with the small crickets much though unless that is all there is. Little piggy frog. I don't know how people feel about this, But I also have lights for him. A blue 'Daylight Amphibian' bulb and a red 'Nocturnal amphibian' bulb, They have dimmer switches. I change them at the same times 'more or less' every day and I slowly dim the daylight bulb throughout the day as natural daylight would. I work from home so I am able to dedicate time to Tickles and I have no kids (yay) So he is my sole dependent. Does anyone know if there is a dual fixture with a timer and automatic dimmer that would do this for me when I am not home? I like my bedroom dark so the lights are imperative to his well being and warmth. At least I think so. I could be wrong. I hope it is right???

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Depending on what your natural room temperatures are, he may not need any additional warmth. My greys stick between about 70-72 degrees in fall/winter and seem to do quite well. I also do not use a nocturnal bulb, they tend not to wake up when I'm using one (unless, of course, it is feeding time.) I do not use a dimmer, just a regular digital timer outlet.

PeachyRabbit

Oh, Amy I am a dork. I think I have a hex tank too. Not an octagon That would be six sides for a hexagon not eight right?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

LOL Don't feel bad. I figured that's what it was because I've never heard of an octagon tank lol. 6 sides for a hexagon is correct.

13. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

PeachyRabbit

I go in to Dork out mode a lot! Thank you for being so awesome Amy!

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF! Amy pretty much has you well covered. Crickets should be same or smaller than distance between frog's eyes. You can place dusted crickets in a small glass bowl and they will stay in it. Start with a couple and eventually the frog will learn to eat from there. It's easier to monitor what they eat that way. Uneaten crickets should be removed from enclosure in the morning; otherwise they stress the frog and could bite it. Gut load crickets with lettuce, carrots and cherios or dry cricket food. Supplements should be used; more info in here: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html.

If going back with substrate, it should be mixed with dechlorinated water (Seachem Prime or ExoTerra Aquatize will neutralize heavy metals in well water) until slightly damp and clumps in fist without dripping water out. Hope this helps and good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information