Thread: Interesting article I read about quarantine

SamuraiJay

Default Interesting article I read about quarantine

Hello all, I was hoping to bring about some debate and possibly clarification of a certain text I read regarding the quarantine period of amphibians as the Melbourne zoo does it.

They say that 60 days is a suitable quarantine period, but during those 60 days the temperature should be kept at 17-23 degrees celcius, which translates to roughly 63-74 Fahrenheit. The purpose they prefer this temperature is to prevent organisms from reoccurring. They stated that frogs with diseases all died before the 60 days kept at that temperatures. The frogs kept at a higher temperature survived an extra two months but ultimately died when the organism that caused the disease presented itself again.

Now I understand that pacman frog's prefer higher heat, but I was curious if this could be applied to them? Or would it kill them before the 60 days due to the temperature alone?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Interesting article I read about quarantine

This if referred to as the shotgun treatment. Cooling then down is supposed to be a last resort for causing shock to bacteria and parasites, etc. The problem is that there are no guarantees that it will work. Those temps will cause a lot of stress for the frog and stress weakens their immune system allowing themselves to be open to secondary invaders. Not all strains of bacteria are effected by this range of temperature and Chytrid Fungus will actually thrive in the low to mid 70°s. The Pacman could develope water edema syndrome from prolonged exposure to cool temps causing damage to the Lymph hearts and shortened lifespan. They usually die from this disease. Renal failure can also occur.

Why don't they just medicate them instead of exposeing them to low temps and hoping that they pull through? Or is this method just used to reveal those that are already ill? If that is the case they could figure that out easy with testing rather than waiting for an illness to appear.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    ...Why don't they just medicate them instead of exposeing them to low temps and hoping that they pull through? Or is this method just used to reveal those that are already ill? If that is the case they could figure that out easy with testing rather than waiting for an illness to appear.
    My exact thoughts Colleen/Jerrod ! And that ladies and gentlemen is a Zoo with access to free veterinary care... because they have their own !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

SamuraiJay

I appreciate the input, and also the knowledge that you have just shared with me.

I just re-read the article and it stated to species that are capable of handling those temperatures. I am hopeful in my assumption that they do not use this method on pacman frogs.

The points you have raised were also raised by myself also. Why would you not test the animals which would be safer and less time consuming, rather than waiting for death. They should be saved and treated rather than being left to die. Sad.

I have my pacman frogs in QT still as its only been a month for 1 of them and 3 weeks for another. But their QT temperatures are sufficient. The Day time temp fluctuates between 79-81 and night drops to 74. They are provided a 12 hour photo period which is given by a UVB bulb.

I just found it so interesting that a large zoo would go about their practice that way. Its a published article as well, when my phone has charged I will share the link via tapatalk.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiJay View Post
    I appreciate the input, and also the knowledge that you have just shared with me.

I just re-read the article and it stated to species that are capable of handling those temperatures. I am hopeful in my assumption that they do not use this method on pacman frogs.

The points you have raised were also raised by myself also. Why would you not test the animals which would be safer and less time consuming, rather than waiting for death. They should be saved and treated rather than being left to die. Sad.

I have my pacman frogs in QT still as its only been a month for 1 of them and 3 weeks for another. But their QT temperatures are sufficient. The Day time temp fluctuates between 79-81 and night drops to 74. They are provided a 12 hour photo period which is given by a UVB bulb.

I just found it so interesting that a large zoo would go about their practice that way. Its a published article as well, when my phone has charged I will share the link via tapatalk.
    Some illnesses require special tests like DNA tests that can take up to two weeks for results others only take. About an hour or less. I hope that they are not doing as we assume with all species.

SamuraiJay

Let's look at it this way... Two weeks to determine the results of DNA tests, that's 6 weeks that they could potentially use to save the frog or other amphibians or atleast try to. I could only imagine with their snakes and other amphibians and reptiles. So sad. I was under the conclusion that it wasn't something that bad until you further explained it. Now I am appalled

Nationality
    [Australia]

I would like to see the article when you get the chance to post it.
    Catherine
    0.0.2 Common Long-necked Tortoise
    0.0.10 Gold fish
    0.0.1 green tree frog
    0.0.5spotted marsh frogs
    2.0.0 kittens
    0.2.0 hens

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineM View Post
    I would like to see the article when you get the chance to post it.
    So would I. Have you heard of this where you're from?

SamuraiJay

SamuraiJay

If the link does not work here are pictures of itName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413980932.482093.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  94.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413980944.448759.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  120.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413980956.351341.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  112.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413980965.931571.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  100.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413980973.367103.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  53.2 KB

Nationality
    [Australia]

This a very old document.

i do know that Melbourne zoo have breeding program's for critical in danger animals.
    Catherine
    0.0.2 Common Long-necked Tortoise
    0.0.10 Gold fish
    0.0.1 green tree frog
    0.0.5spotted marsh frogs
    2.0.0 kittens
    0.2.0 hens

Thread Information