Thread: 10 Gallon Fire Belly Set Up

Default 10 Gallon Fire Belly Set Up

Not sure if this should go here, or in the Fire Belly Toad section..

Anyway, I'm adopting a couple Fire Bellies from a friend so i'm setting everything up. I'm unable to go to any pet stores for the next few weeks so I have to make do with what I have, what i'm given, and what I can get from Wal-Mart. That leads to some questions...

The Wal-Mart I go to is pretty much useless when it comes to the pet section. I couldn't find any Eco-Earth for substrate, so I was going to use some Peat Moss.
    Would that be alright?

I'm also unable to get a tank divider for the water section of the tank. Iv read that you could use a deep water dish, but i'm unable to find anything big enough that doesn't feel like really cheap plastic...I'm not sure how sensitive they are to that kind of stuff, so I didn't want to use anything that might irritate they're skin or something. Am I able to use a plastic dish/container for a water area?

Next, I wanted to know about a filter situation. Do Fire Bellies need a filter? If they do need one, what kind should I use? Again, Wal-Mart has pretty much nothing when it comes to pets. The only filters they have are for fish. I could make one of the whisper filters work if i needed to, but would that be safe for the toads? Iv seen reptile filters that look VERY similar to the whisper filters used for fish.
    What would be the difference?

Last, I wanted to know about plants...
    I know Pathos will do fine with Fire Bellies, but how would I put them in? I'm thinking I wan't to just put the plant in with the pot and all.
    What type of soil should be in the plant/pot? Iv read that you should plant it in fertilizer free soil for like two weeks, then plant it in the tank. Is that true? even if i'm placing it inside with the pot? I could cover any soil up with rocks and other substrate...But I don't want to risk it.
    Should I even bother with the Pothos?

Sorry if this is an overload of questions, Iv tried to look it all up but i'm not having much luck. Any help is much appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: 10 Gallon Fire Belly Set Up

With the pothos you just need to rinse the roots under running water for a while. Make sure there are no fertilizers or anything visible in the roots then plant it.

Thread Information