Thread: Not Sure Why Red Eyed Tree Frog Died

avabee

Default Not Sure Why Red Eyed Tree Frog Died

After a week of having one of my red eyed tree frogs she died last night and I'm not sure why. I've had red eyed tree frogs before and they lived a few years, but it has been a while so maybe I'm doing something wrong. Here is the set-up:
    -18" x 18" x 24" tank
    -Eco Earth Coconut Fiber substrate
    -Fed crickets with calcium powder which I keep in a glass bowl to be sure they don't swallow the substrate
    -Water changed daily (bottled water)
    -Temperature stays around 75 during the day and 70 at night
    -Humidity 60 to 70%
    -Three sides of the glass tank are covered since they are new

I had noticed that lately she had been a very dark green color. Could that be from stress? My other frog seems to be doing just fine, but I want to make sure I have everything set up correctly so he doesn't die as well. Thank you

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Not Sure Why Red Eyed Tree Frog Died

I keep my daytime temp at about 79-82, and my humidity at about 70-85%. I'm sorry for your loss!!!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Not Sure Why Red Eyed Tree Frog Died

Could you define "bottled water" Water would need to be dechlorinated tapwater, using a tapwater conditioner found in most pet stores. Frogs have very sensitive skin, and the chlorines used in bottled water, or even tapwater, can be harmful. This may have caused it. Pics of the setup and frogs would help as well. I'm sorry for your loss
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF! Sorry one of your frogs died . Agree with Josh and need to find out more about water source. Bottled water are made to meet City and State codes for human drinking; not keeping frogs. More info on that in here: http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...hing-else.html. Myself recommend using tap dechlorinated with either Seachem Prime or ExoTerra Aquatize. If water caused issue will also need to replace substrate with one mixed with correct water. Good luck!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

avabee

Thank you for your replies! I used spring water..not sure if that is bad but I will look into using tap dechlorinated. Thanks again!

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm not replying to this but to add, if they weren't captive bred and depending on your location they could have died because of the lack of parasitic foods found in their homeland. I'm here to ask why my 3 red eyes may have died, they were pretty healthy and hopping everywhere when they were alive, they weren't stressed and were extremely active at night, I did do a lot of moving in their tank because I had water surrounding the bottom of the tank with fish and shrimp, I originally had 2 which I know were captive bred, but I got one from petsmart that looked healthy but they weren't able to tell me if the frog was captive bred or not (btw the tank they were housed in was a 12x12x18 tank with a reptifogger for cooling and like I said an all water bottom with coco husk and fiber substrate as well as some different assorted plants in and around the tank) I'm not sure if adding her doomed the other 2 males but I do know she had an injury, she was crushed in one of the tanks while moving prior to my buying of her, if anyone could tell me if I could do anything different next time I try thatd be great.

Thread Information