Thread: My ACF's first call??

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default My ACF's first call??

I've had my ACF for about a few month and I'm gussing he is about 5-6 month. I keep him in my room and I have recently been using a lamp in my room which through the shade looks pink and quite dull, however last night i heard what I thought might be 'squish' calling (Iv'e heard an ACF call on you tube) but i wasn't sure if it was a buzz from the lamp. It started to get longer, so i turned the light on and off and the sound only came on when the light was on, but while hearing the sound i turned the light off and the noise continued for another few seconds.
    I have heard about frogs adapting to their enviroments and are ready for breeding sooner, is this true? because i know ACFs aren't mature until about a year old, or could squish be older than what i thought? Or do I just have a dodgy lamp

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Default Re: My ACF's first call??

Since the sound continued after the light was switched off, I think your frog is calling. Male frogs can call quite early in their development, often before they could really be a successful mate.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

wow, i never knew that, thankyou im soo excited to hear it again.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I have found that ACFs mostly call at night, but also heard them during the twilight hours (crepuscular). The male's call is a rapid burst of a buzzing sound (rapping) lasting 5 seconds or more. It gets really interesting if you have both males and females. The male will call and then the females will respond. The female has two basic calls, a buzz, like the male, but at a slower pace; the second is a slow click, like that of a clock. The female buzz means the female is receptive, the ticking means the female is not receptive to reproduction. There is a chorus at my house every night.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

PsionicRat

You'll know soon enough if Squish is making the noise or not. Takeo, my Albino ACF, makes a racket at the oddest times, day and night. I'm fairly certain he has no idea what he's supposed to be doing as far as activity when it comes to night and day. That first call he made though was always kind of quiet, I had to hold very still just to hear it, he's gotten louder over the last few months. I'm sure in no time you won't be able to mistake the sound of Squish looking for a girlfriend.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Thanks guys, I've never really researched on the ACF calls so its really interesting, squish's call was quite quiet but started to last longer than the previous time, he didn't do it last night, not what I heard anyway.
    I am considering getting Squish a girlfriend would be ace to hear them both calling to each other, it's just finding a frog a simular size to squish.
    Last edited by AlbinoFroggy; June 22nd, 2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Thread Information