Hi all! I'm in the process of setting up my viv (again after a drainage layer failure). I had a few questions. I'm going to have to reorder my springtail and iso cultures - springs didn't make it here alive and the Isos didn't do very well, only two survivors and I couldn't find them when I went to add them back to the tank from their temp storage container. I don't think they could get out, but I have no idea what happened to them. Anyway, that's the basics of a cleanup crew, yes?

I don't have my toads yet. The tank inhabitants will be bumble bee toads. I want to make sure I have a good cleanup crew well established in the tank before I put the toads in it, but what's up with my springs dying in transit? Is that common? I order live animals and feeder insects in the mail all the time and rarely have issues like that. Anyway I want to add them to the tank pre-toad, but what do I do to keep them alive until the toads go in and start pooping to feed them?

Another question - given it's a viv, there is a small bathing pool in about 1/4 of the ten gallon aquarium. I want to put some bladder snails into the water to keep it clean and eat anything the toads may knock into the pool. I'm putting a small anubias plant in the water to assist with water quality as well, and I know that's okay, but what about the snails? Will they be a problem for my toads?

Regarding soil in the viv - I used a potting mix. I use the same mix in my fish tanks, so I know it's safe, but the soil is acidic and prone to anaerobic spots when it becomes compressed. Would adding some small slugs, snails, worms, etc. be a poor idea? Aeration in the soil seems good, but I worry if I was to add worms that one might die and cause an ammonia spike in the soil. How sensitive are toads to ammonia in the soil? Will it hurt them if this happens? What effect does it have on them?

Okay and onto the fun part, here is my viv after I redid it. Plants are assorted tillandsias, multiple kyoto grass, two Spathiphyllum wallisii (umbrella plant from petsmart) and sphagnum moss. The anubias petite nana should be arriving today, and I'll just set it in the bathing pool. I also have one of those random "fern" plants sold at terrarium stores. It did okay in the humidity before so I'm assuming it'll be fine.

Is there anything I need to add, subtract, divide, etc? Does this look like a good habitat for bumble bee toads now that I've fixed the soil level issues and the water level no longer touches any of the soil on any level of the tank?

Name:  DSCF6483 (1280x721).jpg
Views: 109
Size:  66.5 KBName:  DSCF6476 (1280x721).jpg
Views: 106
Size:  67.2 KBName:  DSCF6477 (1280x721).jpg
Views: 73
Size:  72.9 KBName:  DSCF6478 (1280x721).jpg
Views: 97
Size:  72.1 KBName:  DSCF6482 (1280x721).jpg
Views: 110
Size:  71.3 KB