Thread: what is this worm in my frogs water

brookie

Default what is this worm in my frogs water

hi my salmon striped frogs have a natural viv with water rand land, i have had them in their tank around 3 years never had a issue. I a few days ago found around 6 really wriggly dark grey worm things swimming in the water they have tiny legs i think.. i tried to take a pic i don't know if anyone will be able to see as its a bad pic what they are. But would love to find out. I drained the water but the next day i found 1 more so im a little stressed im unsure if they will harm my frogs as my frogs do hang out in the water alot at night. also do i need to worm my frogs now? because of this. And how do i do this and how much and what etc.
    thanks Name:  pic wormthing.png
Views: 109
Size:  6.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: what is this worm in my frogs water

It seems like a fishmoth or silverfish, they come with a high humidity sources and as far i know they are not dangerous at all.

brookie

hi thanks for the reply. I goggled these they do not look like it. It is a type of worm i think it might be some type of lava. I am going to redo my whole tan today because i can't risk my frogs getting harmed by them. Ive seen no more but better to be safe than sorry.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hard to tell from pic, looks like a planaria type worm; but if it has many small legs it's probably a millipede. Many consume detritus and don't think will harm frogs unless they overun tank and then could stress them. Do you have good colonies of springtails and other decomposers in enclosure?
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

brookie

I have lots of things in their but im not sure if any are spring tails. I am still not 100% sure how all the little things got in their,. But on the wood bit i have heaps and heaps of tiny little wood lice things that seem to wonder along all the wood. Also i have some tiny insects that fly around similar to fruit fly's but not fruit fly's. The eco system is looking a little sad at because my last plant died off a few days ago but i am going to replant it and restructure it again over the next few days. I am going to deconstruct a lot of it but i am going to try keep the little bugs alive and put the wood in a container so i do not kill them all while redoing it. I looked once for spring tails but Ive not been able to find where to buy them in Australia.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Did you bake wood (200F for 1 hour and let cool in oven overnight will do), or boiled it for 10 minutes, or soaked it in 10% bleach solution and then rinse/let air dry?
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

brookie

Yep i was pretty particular when i put everything in at the start. I boiled all the wood and with plants i removed all diry and had them planed inside for a few weeks in substrait to make sure they were not carrying anything bad. than washed them once again 1005 before put each in. The only thing that did not get the hugely washed treatment was the moss that i put in it was washed but moss is one of them things that you can never really get every tiny bit of dirt etc off. The tank does have a few lil air gaps for ventilation i guess thy bugs could have found their way in. I tend to not worry about the tiny little flying things. as they look so pretty and make it look so alive same with the little wood lice things. But these worm things i found in the water are concerning. I have not seen more since the 2nd ones i found and removed. I looked it up a little and i found a photo of some of them soemone said they were in their ewater also. And they were told it was a beetle lave from crickets. but i am still not sure. This is the tank when i first made it. Name:  frog viv.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  147.4 KB

I it looks less green now. I have a few fake plants in it atm to fill the gap of the loss of my living stuff. also the little black stones were only temp till they grew now i have river rocks in it as they are not as tiny and do not have a risk of squeezing in to a tiny gap. I am going to fully redo it, I am not happy with the burrows anymore as my frogs are fatter and bigger and need more space and Ive found they enjoy the water more than i thought when first making it. For frogs who are not so much water frogs they spend most of the night in the water. So i am going to make the water a few cm bigger area and id like some kind of waterfall. I though can not find a low water level filter online in australia. The only one Ive found is a terta repti turtle filter but i could not find it online in Australia stores. So looking for other low water filters. I would like the water to come out and down a rock slide or something. still deciding on how to do it all atm.

Thread Information