Thread: Toads as Pets: Best Choices for Kids or First Time Owners

findiviglio

Default Toads as Pets: Best Choices for Kids or First Time Owners

Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over20 years with the Bronx Zoo. I’ve kept toads at home and in zoos for over 50 years, yet I remain enamored of even the most common local species. Others of my generation, be they herpetologists or hobbyists, feel the same…it’s hard to dislike a toad! As pets, toads are generally far more responsive and “aware” than are their frog cousins, and with proper care they may live into their 30’s and beyond. Perhaps because they “know” of the protection offered by powerful skin toxins, pets become quite bold, and readily feed from the hand…sounds odd, but their fearless attitudes remind me of another favorite but very different pet – the striped skunk! To date, 578 species of toads have been described (family Bufonidae), so I’m guessing that many readers will have their own “best pet” picks. Please be sure to post your choices below. Read the rest of this article here Pet Toads: Best Choices for Kids or First Time Pet Owners
    Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place Welcomes Frank Indiviglio | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I really hate when people refer to some animals as 'begginer pets' do they mean that after they're done taking care of it they can get a more 'advanced' pet? I especially hate when I tell someone to keep american toads and they say something like, "No, those are beginer pets, I want something more advanced. I'm not sure if kids should keep toads, I mean I've been keeping toads since I was five, and honestly, I've only had a handfull that survived more than a day. Toads are a big commitment, and kids aren't very patient.
    "Look on the wall behind you. Look at that little girl's face. I know you've seen it. But you know what she's never going to be able to see? She's never going to be able to see the simple wonder of a leaf in her hand. Because there's not going to be any trees. Now you think about that."
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

Default Re: Toads as Pets: Best Choices for Kids or First Time Owners

Quote Originally Posted by AlanLynch View Post
    I really hate when people refer to some animals as 'begginer pets' do they mean that after they're done taking care of it they can get a more 'advanced' pet? I especially hate when I tell someone to keep american toads and they say something like, "No, thise are beginer pets, I want something more advanced. I'm not sure if kids should keep toads, I mean I've been keeping toads since I was five, and honestly, I've only had a handful that survived more tgan a day. Toads are a big commitment, and kids aren't very patient.
    Most people say beginner pets as in they are lower on the spectrum of amount of time needed to keep them happy and healthy. Most of the time when kids get pets the parents are the main caretakers. If I ever gave any of my siblings an animal that they didn't know how to take care of I would be the main caretaker until I felt extremely comfortable with the way they have been caring for the animal. The only reason why most animals end up dieing when they come home is because the parent hasn't taken the time to research the animal extensively. In the end the child tries to care for the animal but they don't have the proper knowledge needed to be able to take care of the animal properly. In the end not many pets are "beginner pets" as you said because the parents will need to be the main caretaker of the animal, which in most cases it doesn't happen. I do understand what you are saying though

Great article btw!
    Last edited by Strider18; October 15th, 2014 at 03:02 PM.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for share; nice article Frank !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

findiviglio

I really hate when people refer to some animals as 'begginer pets' do they mean that after they're done taking care of it they can get a more 'advanced' pet? I especially hate when I tell someone to keep american toads and they say something like, "No, those are beginer pets, I want something more advanced. I'm not sure if kids should keep toads, I mean I've been keeping toads since I was five, and honestly, I've only had a handfull that survived more than a day. Toads are a big commitment, and kids aren't very patient.

Hi...Pet care requires a responsible person, and adult supervision for kids of course. But many species are far more ideal for those new to the hobby than are others...gauging species to person, or in my case to the institution, before recommending is a very effective means of going about the recommendation process. Without proper care, even the hardiest of species rarely survive long. Those truly interested in animals maintain a fascination with all species, however common or long kept, as you suggest. I have a common musk turtle, as easy-to-care for as a turtle can be, that I rec'd in 1969; still keep local jumping spiders, frogs, mantids, etc..always something new to learn. Folks in it for the short run, ego, etc., will dismiss some species, as you say...hard to change those types, inm my experience,,..best, frank

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I wasn't directing this at you, I was just trying to state an opinion. (Nice article by the way! ) Anyway, toads still shouldn't be chosen as a first pet. Remeber, they're poisonous! :0
    "Look on the wall behind you. Look at that little girl's face. I know you've seen it. But you know what she's never going to be able to see? She's never going to be able to see the simple wonder of a leaf in her hand. Because there's not going to be any trees. Now you think about that."
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

findiviglio

I wasn't directing this at you, I was just trying to state an opinion. (Nice article by the way! ) Anyway, toads still shouldn't be chosen as a first pet. Remeber, they're poisonous! :0
    Very good points, which should be considered by all owners, thanks. All amphibs, as far as we know, produce skin toxins to some degree; Toads pop into most folks minds due to the conspicuous glands; most toads cease releasing very quickly; Salmonella, on the other hand, remains a concern - all herps carry as part of their normal gut communities; transmission is easy to avoid if proper hygiene is followed, but many are woefully negligent in this regard (many working in zoos as well, unfortunately. Best, Frank

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I guess in the end, toads are good pets for kids, as long as the parents oversee everything. To be honest, a toad has never squirted out it's poison at me, however, they have squirted out other things on me... :0
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

findiviglio

I guess in the end, toads are good pets for kids, as long as the parents oversee everything. To be honest, a toad has never squirted out it's poison at me, however, they have squirted out other things on me... :0
    As far as I know, the fluid is stored water, not urine, at least for American toads; best, frank

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That's not exactly what I was reffering to... xD Guess again.
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

findiviglio

That's not exactly what I was reffering to... xD Guess again.
    Stumped...

Quote Originally Posted by findiviglio View Post
    Stumped...
    Lol, your post is very similar to what I said but just a little more detailed, adult supervision is required for most pets until they get about 14 and start to take on more responsibilities. Of course the parents can help out if needed though. I feel being a teenager myself that it feels nice to be able to know that you have kept a living creature healthy and happy for so long and could provide it everything that was needed

findiviglio

Quote Originally Posted by Strider18 View Post
    Lol, your post is very similar to what I said but just a little more detailed, adult supervision is required for most pets until they get about 14 and start to take on more responsibilities. Of course the parents can help out if needed though. I feel being a teenager myself that it feels nice to be able to know that you have kept a living creature healthy and happy for so long and could provide it everything that was needed
    Great that you are thinking this way at your age...many much older people do not! Let me know if you need anything, enjoy, Frank

Thread Information