Thread: what would be a good housing set up for Cuban tree frogs and similar tree frog?

Tarwing

Default what would be a good housing set up for Cuban tree frogs and similar tree frog?

I'm sorry if I come across a little dippy or ignorant. I have some wild caught frogs ( I caught them as tadpoles) and I am not sure what they are. They are all about the same size. I think some are Cubans and some look very close to type of Florida wood frog. I'm having problems identifing them. Anyways I want to give them a better home then the 10gallon tank they are currently in. Nine frogs in a 10 gal is a bit crowded. So I got them a taller tank and I noticed some like to hide next to the water bowl and swim. I would like to add a pond or "riverlet" to the new tank, I'm just not sure how to go about doing it. Any suggestion?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: what would be a good housing set up for Cuban tree frogs and similar tree frog?

You will need separate vivariums for each species. Cubans will eat just about any other frog you're going to get.

I would look at this thread - http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...ion-101-a.html to get some ideas.

Also, if you could share pictures of the frogs you have, we can help you ID them so that you can read up on the care sheets and provide for them according to their distinct needs
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Tarwing

Default Re: what would be a good housing set up for Cuban tree frogs and similar tree frog?

I will post pictures as soon as I get some that look like frogs.

Tarwing

Name:  IMG_0055.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  57.5 KBName:  IMG_0056.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  102.9 KBName:  IMG_0057.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  106.9 KBName:  IMG_0059.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  146.7 KBName:  IMG_0060.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  44.4 KBThese are the Frogs that I have. If you can tell me what I have and what would be the best for them.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Both of your frogs look to be Cuban tree frogs. Provide a minimum of a 20-30 gallon tank for a small
    group of these frogs. Two should be fine in a 20 gallon tank for the time being. Their care should be
    similar to whites tree frogs.
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You have 9 of these cubans??? Would be 10 gallons MINIMUM per frog, and you couldn't even keep one in the 10 gallon. You may need to rehome a few of them. Illegal to release them in Florida. They are tree frogs though, so their viv needs to be like a tree. Branches, leaves, etc.

Tarwing

Started out with 12 tadpoles in a bucket, these were the ones that didn't jump out and die (I never knew legless tadpoles could do that but I found 3 on the floor drying up). I kind of figured in that I would need to separate them into smaller groups. The unfortunate part is i don't have anyone one who is willing to take on a frog, Cuban or not. I don't want to kill the little guys. I guess I will just have to get creative with housing options for them.

Nationality
    [Canada]

An idea that you could try is making an enclosure by using an old cabinet or display case and try to improvise that into a vivarium. I have friends that have done this with their Asian water dragons. If i could, i'd take a couple Cubans but i live 3000 miles away from Florida.
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea

i would either release the tads. i know they are an invasive species and all, but in the grand scheme of things, 9 more isn't going to affect much. and besides, 50% of those will probably be eaten by fish anyway. natural process. otherwise, you will need one giant tank, or several large ones, and one heck of a feeding operation.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I was thinking about that earlier too...the amount of crickets to feed 9 adult cubans...oy. I do not believe that we have a cuban tree frog care sheet here (anyone consider typing one up?) but you could probably follow the whites tree frog care sheet - Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea

Tarwing

about dozen crickets twice a day. Plus wax worms, meal worm and earthworms (small night crawlers) they aren't picky eaters unlike some of my other reptiles.my beardies will eat dried assorted bugs like meal worm but won't eat the live ones. I have a cricket breeder going for my other reptiles would love to get dubia roaches but unless the vender is already in Florida no one can ship them to me and I really don't want to breed german, banded or palmedo roaches (I'm not that crazy I'm just frog bogged)

Nationality
    [Canada]

Id hate to say this, but i think that tropical roaches in Florida are illegal to own your best bet are probably a variety of nightcrawlers, crickets, mealworms and waxworms.
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea

Tarwing

Yea. I watch them eat. If I notice any not eating or one not getting as much as the others I single it out and and feed it via feeding Tongs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default what would be a good housing set up for Cuban tree frogs and similar tree frog?

Quote Originally Posted by Tarwing View Post
    Yea. I watch them eat. If I notice any not eating or one not getting as much as the others I single it out and and feed it via feeding Tongs.
    I'm new here and just found your post, did you figure it all out, I love Cubans they are awesome...

Thread Information