Thread: Day Number Three With New WTFs and ???

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question Day Number Three With New WTFs and ???

1----what 'kind' of frog is it: White's tree frog named "Honey-Lime"
    2----please include a photo of the frog (Pic from today coming soon)
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure: Quarantine tank enclosure is equal to X-lg Kritter Keeper Photo 15 of 16 from White's Tree Frogs by irThumper
    4----size of enclosure: (manufacturer details X-Large Kritter Keeper - (15.87"L x 8.37"W x 12.08"H) is 1604.61 cubic inches which converts to 6.946363636 US gal)
    5----# on inhabitants: 2 (WTF "Shirley" is companion)
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate: About a dozen baby WTFs in a 5 gal at Petco. Don't know if she was one of the ones that had been there for a week already or had just come in that week. She and her companion were bigger by half I'd say (more or less) to the others, and Shirl is a bit bigger than Honey (and the shipping containers were way too small for them that I brought them home in, unless those were for baby snakes??) so I'll deduct they were there for a couple weeks.
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined: Honey and Shirley came together from same tank at Petco and are currently in quarantine together
    8----what is the typical humidity level: Upper 50%++ (56 to 53% just OUTSIDE of tank so inside would be considerably higher - 60%ish)
    9----what temperature is maintained: Average steady at 73 F at night and 77 F in the daytime
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure: House temp
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically): First two days regular room lighting (they are in a section of the kitchen just off my plant room at the moment) Today I put a T8 grow light on them Lights of America 24" Fluorescent Grow Light Fixture: Light Bulbs : Walmart.com
    12---describe enclosure maintenance: Just set up. Will Change water today (I haven't seen Honey in it, only Shirl) Cleaned up one poo yesterday; everything still clean. Just lay down some wet Viva paper towels and left them a bit lump because I suspect Honey wants to burrow into substrate...
    13---what kind of water is used: Double filtered spring water for everything (we buy bottled spring water and have a Britta filter pitcher)
    -----for misting
    -----for the frog's soaking dish
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific: None until today, put down some damp paper towels. They had been kept in Eco Earth at the store I think.
    15---enclosure set up:
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned: Hot tap water (lots of chlorine in the water system here) w/ vinegar &/or hydrogen peroxide solution for tank and decor.
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric: Live dracaena "pineapple plant" var. in plastic piot sitting in a tera cotta pot; soil flushed and plant washed. No ferts or sprays since purchase in July. Moss tamped in around plant and inside pot to keep frogs out of the soil/getting wedged in 2nd pot (would damp paper towels be better??)
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials: Glass water dish and tera cotta pots.
    16---when is the last time the frog ate: Both ate last night (Shirl ate a LOT) I didn't go to bed until I saw Honey get a nice medium cricket and I think she also ate a small (very) one or two. Also saw Honey also eat a small one this morning (Shirl was already asleep in the dracaena.
    17---have you found poop lately. Shirl pooped late the night we brought them home. Someone (I'm hoping Honey!) did one yesterday sometime.
    18---how often is the frog fed: I've given a few, everyday when frogs aren't asleep, since I got them. I try to make sure they both get some but Shirl's better at stuffing her face than Honey.
    19---what size feeder is given: Very small to larger medium.
    20---what other feeders are used as treats: None
    21---what is the frog's main food source: Crickets
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog: Both, depending. Honey doesn't seem to have the bowl thing down like Shirl does.
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often: They received dusted crickets at the store 3X a week, and they got dusted crickets the day I brought them (apparently) so I haven't started dusting yet.
    24---calcium - what brand and how often: " "
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time: Unknown
    26---approximate age of the frog mature: Unknown- baby, not quite 2" long, appx 1 3/4-ish
    27---how long have you owned the frog: Since 8:00 p.m. Oct 1, 2014
    28---who cared for the frog before you: Petco (ugh!)
    29---is the frog wild caught : "Said to be" CB
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves): Only handled them to bring home and transfer to quarantine tank
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area: Low on average
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no): Currently in Q.
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication: Unknown before purchase
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose
    -----was medication prescribed by a herp vet

Ok, got that part over with...

Well Shirley (the bigger blue-green snow-flakey WTF) seems to be doing famously, acts normal, and so have no questions about her. My concern is with Honey-Lime, the slightly smaller girl named for her pale color. She's eating, but seems low key and kind of sluggish. At first I thought she was constipated, but now I'm wondering if she was about to shed. She was on the floor, trying to wedge herself in between the flower pot and feeding dish, appeared unfomforatable and just seemed to be trying to rub against the containers; once I saw her wipe a hand over her face. She also looked like she wanted to burrow, but I have no substrate in there, so gave her damp paper towels. I had to leave for a few hours but I got to thinking that maybe she was going to shed... our PTF friends always went and buried themselves in the soil of the African violets and did their shedding there. I was preparing to come home and make up a dish of Eco-Earth for her, but found her sleeping peacefully in the Dracaena. I found a "string" of what looked like mucous or something hanging off the edge of the flower pot, but when I got it out it was stiff and dry... I'm wondering if it was frog skin? The PTFs used to soak and leave frog "gloves" of shed skin (you could even see toe pads!) in the water dish after they shed. Never caught them actually doing a shed, but plenty of times saw them grooming the leftovers off afterward.

Anyway, guess I'll see how she acts/feels when she gets up tonight, just wondered if anyone recognized this behavior as something normal or what?? Thanks!

Name:  Honey-Lime Odd Behavior 10.3.14.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  54.6 KB
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Day Number Three With New WTFs and ???

Sounds like it was trying to shed, may have been a bit dehydrated from the stint at Petco. Others will need to chime in with their thoughts for sure, but I think everything sounds good so far.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

4. This member thanks DigitalPunk for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

My WTF just shed and the 'strings' sounds exactly like mine. He's also hiding under the paper towels.

I don't know, maybe there's a little dehydration in yours like Paul said or some stress.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Shouldn't be dehydrated now with the moisture in there, so that's good. I couldn't believe the mess that was the holding compartment at Petco... one TINY shallow dish of water and one with moss... why the moss?? I caught one of the frogs there shedding before I bought my two, and I shuddered when i saw all that substrate all over the skin going right inside the frog, then later another took a big dump (on another frog's head no less) and prolapsed from it... one reason why I didn't put any substrate in with these guys. :/
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [United States]

Big box pet stores are awesome like that.

However in their defense they are intending to only house the reptiles and amphibians for a short period of time and are trying to do it in a way that makes them easily view-able and easy to collect and sale. Doesn't make it any righter, but I can understand the reasoning from a purely business prospective.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Honey looks much brighter in attitude tonight! She was sitting in the water dish, then later jumped into one of the ceramic lined baking/flower pots (I turned both of them over to make feeding stations) and gobbled up a couple crickets, which I think are too big for them really, but after a bit of effort managed to get them down... she did have one mishap with a smaller one though, lol

Name:  Snapshot 1 (10-4-2014 12-16 AM).png
Views: 42
Size:  289.8 KBName:  Snapshot 6 (10-4-2014 12-26 AM).png
Views: 48
Size:  285.7 KB<<Dinner mishap, lol! Name:  Snapshot 15 (10-4-2014 12-32 AM).png
Views: 46
Size:  277.3 KBName:  Snapshot 19 (10-4-2014 12-35 AM).png
Views: 51
Size:  274.6 KB<<Honey photo bombed by Shirley
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]

She looks fine to me.
    She is probably just settling in.

Buy smaller crickets --- you don't want a frog to struggle with a feeder.

Careful NOT to let frogs get UNDER any paper towel.
    When used, and enough de-chlorinated water - place is as flat as possible so they can get under it

The paper towel is suitable for hospital and QT situations.

http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...uarantine.html

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Is there a reason they shouldn't get under the towel? Suffocation maybe?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    Is there a reason they shouldn't get under the towel? Suffocation maybe?
    That might be it... scary thought!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Thread Information