Thread: AFC face injury

agunn1

Default AFC face injury

Hello Hello

I adopted an AFC today from a friend of mine. She owns a pet store, and she had a separated semi-adult albino ACF with a bad facial wound. She couldnt put him with the other frogs, for fear of him eating the smaller ones. The fish that he lived with apparently were biting him and being aggressive. I offered to take him, and named him Boston.

Boston has a good weight, he's active, and besides his face he looks great. I wanted to know what I can do to speed up the recovery process and make sure he heals. He is in a separate 5 gal tank (i have two more AFC's in a 20g long; one adult male and a juvie female. they get along great!). The tank has a small sponge/air bubbler filter, and I put some freshwater aquarium salt. The wound is right under his right eye, it goes back to where his mouth opens and closes, its only on the top of the mouth. Sorry if the pics are kinda crappy.

Im really hoping that Boston will be ok. I felt so terrible for him that I couldnt leave him, i had to take him home. I also hope that if he makes a full recovery I can introduce him to Goober and Pepper, the two other AFC's. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, the fish in the middle pic is a rosy red minnow. I get them sometimes as treats for the other frogs. Not sure if Boston would have wanted live food or pellets, so I put a couple of rosy reds with him. He hasnt eaten anything for me yet, but I dont blame him, the poor baby :C
    Name:  IMG_1218.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  76.4 KBName:  IMG_1222.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  54.7 KBName:  IMG_1225.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  81.2 KBName:  IMG_1226.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  63.7 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: AFC face injury

Hello and welcome to FF! I'm very sorry for the frog, looks like a bad injury and from pics, appears infected already all the way to eye socket area . Normally myself use a mix of Melafix and Pimafix (mixed according to label directions); but unsure if it's late for that and stronger faster acting antibiotics are required. If you want to get stronger antibiotics, this will help you locate a vet in your area: Arav and Herp Vet Connection. If can't do the vet route; then start the combo treatment today and continue until wounds are healed. Let us know how treatment goes and if frog improves or not. Be advised frog might loose the eye vision and the mouth wound could leave frog a scar or permanent damage.

Need to get those feeders out of tank (don't give to other frogs either or contaminate your feeder tank) because they are a source of pathogens and will stress frog. Right now need to stop infection, frog won't starve overnight. If frog does not eat pellets, you could try with rinsed, not dyed night crawlers, from Walmart or local bait shop. If that sponge filter is not cycled, need to monitor ammonia and nitrite levels and do water changes as required. Add medication after water changes, not the other way around. Hope this helps and good luck .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

agunn1

Default Re: AFC face injury

Thank you for responding so quick
    I have melafix, and I'll go get some pimafix. I'll take the feeders out. I want to do water changes every day and add aquarium salt. will doing too many water changes stress out Boston? And I hope that Boston will make it, I love him no matter what he looks like. I want to give him the happy, peaceful, painfree life he deserves.

Thread Information