Thread: I'm concerned about my red eyed tree frog!

Stevie Jerale

Default I'm concerned about my red eyed tree frog!

I recently took in a RETF from a home that wasn't so great. The guy had a ten gallon tank with 2 green tree frogs and the red eyed tree frog, and just one or two fake plants. It's a miracle the frog made it to be honest! while I was there I asked the guy what his humidity was at in the tank-- he said 30%!! Not cool.
    Anyways, I bought all the frogs from him and separated them right away. The green tree frogs are doing good, they call every time I mist them and though I haven't seen them eat, they are staying active and have nice plump bellies.
    I bought a fogger and got the humidity up to 75% in the red eye's tank and it's about 77 degrees F. A little cooler at night. He seems to be eating as well, but I haven't seen him eat myself. He doesn't look thin at all and crickets are disappearing, hopefully that's a good sign!!

My only concern is his color. He was a nice bright green when I got him, but now he's much darker. I've had him for almost a week now so the stress from moving should be gone. Is this normal? What else can I do to make him for comfortable? His tank is full of live plants and I have 3 sides covered.
    thank you in advance for any advice!! I've never had a red eyed tree frog before, but I am committed to doing things right!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: I'm concerned about my red eyed tree frog!

Is he staying dark all day or just at night? What kind of lighting do you have on there?

Mine turn very dark at night while hunting. During the day, under the bright LED's I have for my live plants, they are a bright neon green. They do make some interesting colors depending what plant they are hanging out on. Do you have pictures you can share? What kind of water are you using?

I have only seen one of my red eyed tree frogs eat, and only maybe two or three times, they prefer their privacy at night, especially while getting used to a new home.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Stevie Jerale

He stays dark all the time. I'm using an led light too, but I had most of the light blocked off because I was worried about him getting stressed. I just brightened it up a bit to see if that helps! The plants in there are just a random assortment of plants that I bought from Petco. I don't know any of the names, but I tried to get some big leafy ones so he has lots of hiding places. He prefers to sit on the back wall of the tank, which has a black background. I am going to buy some bottled water, but for now I'm using dechlorinated tap water.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

He'll be fine on a 12 hour light cycle, that shouldn't bother him. All the darkness may account for his darker color. If he's sitting on the back wall, which is black, he may just be trying to camouflage to it. Dechlorinated tap water is just fine.

EDIT : Congrats on your new frogs and welcome, by the way
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

One thing to keep in mind is that just because it's bottles doesn't mean it doesn't have chlorine in it. Decholrinated tap water is perfect. No need to go out and get fancy water

Reds Sleep during the day. Having the tank bright during the daylight hours will help him/her rest and not be as stressed.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [United States]

its their camouflage at night mine turn almost a purple at night with dark red eyes its normal :3

Thread Information