Thread: Hi. Any help at all would be appreciated

honeybeze

Default Hi. Any help at all would be appreciated

Hi, all you froggy people.

The other day my younget son asked if he could have a pet. "You know, something like a salamander?" I told him that salamanders require more care (think filtration and water changes) than I am willing to do right now, so I suggested a tree frog. He finally agreed to it, so here I am.

Now, before I get my newbie sticker on my forehead, let me tell you a little about myself. While yes, I have never actually had any tree frogs, I have extensive fish knowledge, both freshwater and reef. In fact I had a fabulous reef system set up for a long time. Unfortunately I had a tank crash when we moved and a lightning storm caused a power loss in our former home.

Since the crash, I have had 2 more children, putting me up to the proud mother of 5. I have not had the time OR energy to start a reef system over.

Anyhow, (you will soon discover I talk too much LOL) I just wanted to introduce myself so you know who I am when I start popping up asking stupid questions.

Paul Rust

Default Re: Hi. Any help at all would be appreciated

Well hello and welcome to Frog Forum. I look forward to your questions and so do a lot of other people here. You are in the right place.

Oh and here is your sticker! Place it on your forehead.

honeybeze

AW poo! I got one anyhow. LOL. I posted a thread about my intended set-up, so any suggestions are welcome.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the forum. Many salamanders are less maintenance than frogs, in my experience.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by honeybeze View Post
    AW poo! I got one anyhow. LOL. I posted a thread about my intended set-up, so any suggestions are welcome.
    Yeah, you're gonna fit in just fine..lol

lnaminneci

Oooh...Ooooh Paul can I have a sticker too Please...Please!

Welcome to the Forum Honeybeze!

I am new here too, and a newcomer to the care of frogs. There is no such thing as a stupid question.. Everyone here has been very helpful, knowledgeable, and welcoming. And don't worry, I have been The Queen of stupid questions lately. So ask away!

honeybeze

The well of stupid, from which I drink freely, never runs dry....

honeybeze

Oh yay! Just thought of one! I have sulphur in my water. It doesn't evaporate out. It is STINKY P.U.!!! This won't hurt them, will it? Otherwise we have a well, so chlorine and choramine are no issue

honeybeze

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Many salamanders are less maintenance than frogs, in my experience.
    Yeah, but they have that tail and they remind me slightly of snakes and I am phobic about snakes. In fact, if the frogs are near the snakes at the store, we may not get any frog. J/K, but seriously..hate snakes.

Kurt

Its better be called newbie, than be called by random girls' names. Welcome aboard.

YouTube - Scrubs- Every girls name dr. cox has called jd ever[/URL]

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by honeybeze View Post
    Oh yay! Just thought of one! I have sulphur in my water. It doesn't evaporate out. It is STINKY P.U.!!! This won't hurt them, will it? Otherwise we have a well, so chlorine and choramine are no issue
    I would avoid water that contains sulphur.

honeybeze

LOL! I love Dr. Cox....He is so cranky. He reminds me of...me

Kurt

I love the character too, would've love to have seen Hugh Jackman make an appearence at Sacred Heart. Bam!!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm a newbie as far as the Forum is concerned and I never got a stamp. I still have a small reef tank, but have mostly shifted to poison dart frogs. Living in Florida (no basement) with a smallish house and four boys, I am truly fortunate to have married an incredibly understanding woman who lets me decorate our living, dining, and bedroom with vivariums. I'm working on our 6th.

Years ago we started with local tree frogs and learned very quickly that finding tree frogs by sound is not very smart if your vivarium is in the bedroom! They were all males and they were so incredibly loud that I awoke expecting one to be perched on my ear. I was quickly stumbling around with a flashlight and jar to release them in the back yard. One stayed outside our bedroom window calling for a week as though laughing at me.

We finally caught a few females and they made great pets.
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

Thread Information