Thread: Injured frog with lumps all over, need help!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Injured frog with lumps all over, need help!

It started raining in WA again, so all the little froglets are everywhere, including the road

This little guy I found, I thought he might be dead but boy was I wrong. He's still got a lot fight in him, but I'm not sure if there's anything I can do. He looks to be 2-3 months old give or take and he's a Pacific Chorus Frog

His back leg is injured, possibly broken, he can barely hop, there's also some flesh missing but not a lot from what I can tell. Looks like there might be a little bit of prolapse going on too, but I'm not sure.

Another thing that concerned me is he has an almost perfectly round bump on his back that protrudes quite a bit. Not sure if it's a part of his injuries or something else. It looks like he has a couple of bumps on his head but I could be wrong.

My main questions are do you think he has a chance to live or am I looking at euthanasia, and what could cause that bump on his back and possibly head? I haven't given him too good of a look over because he was pretty freaked out so I want him to calm down first and I'm also at work so I have limited things I can do. I've got him in a cup with some water on the bottom until I can get him home to a hospital tank, which he doesn't seem to mind for now. He's already calmed down a lot.

I would really like to help this little guy out, but I don't want him to needlessly suffer if there's nothing I can do. Thank you! Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411556047.148764.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  36.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411556069.461753.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  36.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411556084.928008.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  38.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411556100.139928.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  34.7 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

So I'm going to start with Neosporin (without pain reliever) for the leg and the lumps, I'm thinking the lumps are a possible bacterial infection but not totally sure since they aren't discolored, but they are very squishy like they're filled with fluid so I'll pick up some Melafix and try that out. I want to try treating him myself and of course if necessary take him to the vet, I'll see if I can get a fecal sample tested for parasites too and see if that's an issue. He's not moving around much which is good for his leg, but worries me. I'd like to try and tong feed him a dusted cricket and see if he'll eat it, I know my little fatties love it when I bring their food to them ^.^ if not then I'll soak him in unflavored pedialyte if need be.

I'm also using non powdered gloves and washing my hands before and after doing anything to his tank or touching him if I have to so I don't risk my babies getting sick.

If any of this sounds wrong, or if there's something else I should do please let me know.

His hospital tank will have a few leaves for sitting on, a damp unprinted paper towel, a shallow water dish with dechlorinated water and have 3 sides covered. Anything else I should add?

Edit: looks like he has a black spot on his injured leg and around his back end. I'll try to get some better pics today. I put him in the tank, tried to give him a cricket but he turned his nose up at it lol so I took it out.
    Last edited by Jessalyn; September 24th, 2014 at 10:07 AM.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Injured frog with lumps all over, need help!

This looks to be an internal infection or at least a localized one. You may need a vet, but do place neosporin on any external wounds.

5. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It is possible your frog has the herpes virus which causes lethargy, bloating and tumorous growths, especially on the back. Your vet may want to do a biopsy to determine the cause. Some forms of herpes are fatal while others do not affect the frog's health at all. Keep the frog stress-free and as long as it continues to eat well and behave normally, there is not much else you can do. Neosporin is great antiseptic for frogs. I know that Bactine is also good topical for open wounds. Good luck with your frog and hope all goes well.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh goodness, would've never thought about that. Can it spread to humans or between frogs? Not that I plan on holding him with bare hands, but I don't know if I should release him when he feels better if it can spread. Thank you!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Jessalyn View Post
    So I'm going to start with Neosporin (without pain reliever) for the leg and the lumps, I'm thinking the lumps are a possible bacterial infection but not totally sure since they aren't discolored, but they are very squishy like they're filled with fluid so I'll pick up some Melafix and try that out. I want to try treating him myself and of course if necessary take him to the vet, I'll see if I can get a fecal sample tested for parasites too and see if that's an issue. He's not moving around much which is good for his leg, but worries me. I'd like to try and tong feed him a dusted cricket and see if he'll eat it, I know my little fatties love it when I bring their food to them ^.^ if not then I'll soak him in unflavored pedialyte if need be.

I'm also using non powdered gloves and washing my hands before and after doing anything to his tank or touching him if I have to so I don't risk my babies getting sick.

If any of this sounds wrong, or if there's something else I should do please let me know.

His hospital tank will have a few leaves for sitting on, a damp unprinted paper towel, a shallow water dish with dechlorinated water and have 3 sides covered. Anything else I should add?

Edit: looks like he has a black spot on his injured leg and around his back end. I'll try to get some better pics today. I put him in the tank, tried to give him a cricket but he turned his nose up at it lol so I took it out.
    Jessalyn,
    Sounds like you are prepared. Sorry for the trouble your having.
    Yes--- any over the counter / topical / antibiotic ( ie neosporin, bacitracin, bactine, tri-care, neomycin, polymyxin, etc ) should be without pain relief.
    Most of these products are made with and without pain reliever ingredients.
    If you have any doubts ask the pharmacist?

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Update:
    I came home today and after only one day of Neosporin the bubble on his back is half the size it was yesterday. I'm hoping that's a good sign! I'm going to fix him up an unflavored pedialyte bath and see if he perks up since he's still pretty lethargic. Poor thing still won't eat, but he did poo as well which is good because I'm not too sure what's going on with his back end.

Here's a picture of the bubble and back end

Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I doubt that it can spread to humans. Taking all the necessary precautions, handle with wet plastic gloves and wash hands before and after handling should be OK.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]

Another update on Lumpy Lou (his new name) his lumps have completely gone! His back end area still has something funky going on but I'm going to try to treat as if it's prolapse and see if that helps.

The thing that worries me now is he's not eating. I know cold blooded animals can go for awhile without eating, and he has taken two (solid, not runny yay!) poops since I've gotten him so I'm guessing he ate not too long before I found him. However, if worst comes to worst, what would I do if my little new friend won't eat? Are there any tricks or tips since he is wild caught? I'm pretty sure he's too small to force feed and it would cause more stress than it's worth.

Thank you all again for your help and support!

Pics: Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411943132.166316.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  35.3 KB Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411943148.258130.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  34.7 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Update on Lumpy, his leg seems to be healing well! He still prefers to sit on the ground rather than on the walls of the enclosure, but the other day he took a nice long soak then explored the tank a little more. I even saw a little bit of a hop!

His lump is totally gone with no signs of returning, I've stopped putting Neosporin (without pain reliever of course!) on his back although I'm still putting it on his bum and his legs since he's so small, it's hard to tell how well he's healing up back there. However, looking back at the pictures of when I first found him, it looks a lot less red and irritated.

I'm still not sure what that piece of skin on his bum is, but I'm going to try some at home treatments for a prolapse and see if that's what it is. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Thread Information