Thread: finishing up tank cycling; started with frogs, now "frogless" advice please

labradorim

Default finishing up tank cycling; started with frogs, now "frogless" advice please

hi; just joined. History: my daughter "won" an ADF at the end of summer camp. It was one of those "grow a frog" set-ups. Needless to say, we knew nothing and the poor thing died, even tho we were following the directions from grow a frog to the letter (at least, I thought we were). Fast forward to last month, at which time I was a little more up to speed and trying to cycle a 5 gallon planted tank with two ADFs in it. I was trying my best but definitely learning on the fly and stressing the little guys out, which was upsetting. Then I discovered that one of them was an ACF and that meant the two of them couldn't live together for much longer (those ACFs grow FAST!). I decided to give them both to our local LFS so that they could live in a healthy environment while I finish cycling the tank. The ultimate goal is to stock with two ADFs once the tank is ready.

So the tank I'm cycling has been going for about a month, 3 weeks of which were with the two frogs. My question is if I need to add ammonia daily to keep the cycling going, or if the remnants of food and waste that are in the substrate (sand) and the bacteria that are in the filter are sufficient to finish cycling. I have plenty of frog food still around that I've read I can add for ammonia, I'm just not sure if I need to. The current readings are: ammonia 0, nitrite 3, nitrate 40.

I have the smallest Eheim filter that hangs off the back, into which I put an upgraded sponge and a bunch of ceramic media. There's also a heater and thermometer (holding steady at 78-80 degrees) and three anubias nana.

Thanks,

Beth

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: finishing up tank cycling; started with frogs, now "frogless" advice please

Hello and welcome to FF Beth! Well, myself don't cycle tanks with food or ammonia; so can't help in there. Your numbers show presence of Nitrites; so filter is almost cycled, but not there yet. Water's nitrate level is a bit high, can do a 25% water change weekly until corrected and then adjust as required to keep below 25ppm.

Would not add ammonia; just add the frogs now and let filter adjust to them. Don't overfeed frogs or clean filter media for first week or so, filter should be cycled by then. If nitrites or ammonia climb too high, do small daily water changes. Once all is OK; you can rinse filter media in water being removed from tank during weekly water change. Myself rarely replace media; just do that weekly wash and that's it. Hope this helps and good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Randy

Default Re: finishing up tank cycling; started with frogs, now "frogless" advice please

Carlos about said it all the frogs can cycle a tank fast they can be messy things but a good filtration system will remedy that .I use a canister filter and a under gravel for my afcs. Occasional partial water changes (1/3 every 2 months does the trick but i have a 90 gallon tank ). I gravel siphon every month . i clean my canister filter 3 or 4 times a year . i have ever had to add chemicals to my tank .

Thread Information