Thread: Could someone sex my dwarf clawed frog,? (sorry couldn't find the thread for dwarfs)

benjamin123

Default Could someone sex my dwarf clawed frog,? (sorry couldn't find the thread for dwarfs)

Could you possibly sex them I don't know the correct way some say a white dot for a male others say there is a stump in-between their legs. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Could someone sex my dwarf clawed frog,? (sorry couldn't find the thread for dwarfs)

It's impossible to tell from your photographs. Also, two of the photos are of an albino Xenopus but your question relates only to Hymenochirus, which is a bit confusing. Check out this old thread: http://www.frogforum.net/aquatic-cla...exing-adf.html

I'll add that it's not advisable to accommodate both species together or with fish if you want to avoid potential problems.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Could someone sex my dwarf clawed frog,? (sorry couldn't find the thread for dwarfs)

Geoff is correct. #1 and #4 are Xenopus laevis, the much larger cousins of the dwarf clawed frog. It is not recommended keeping these two species together. Although, the pictures are not very useful in sexing the dwarfs, the larger (light color) frog is most likely a female, since males have dark patches on their fingers.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Iceheart123

A (somewhat easy) way to sex your frogs is to listen for them at night. Males often "sing" at night, so if you have one of each species and you hear singing, you probably have a male. Male ACF calls sound metallic (some people say they sound like creaking floorboards or a cricket underwater, I think they sound like croaking.) A female will reply with either a rapping sound (Acceptance) or a slow ticking sound (rejection). ADF sounds sound like a loose filter tube. They go MeeEEEp MeeeEEp MeeeEEEp, and sometimes swish their back flippers (as if the females are going to notice and appreciate the gesture as ADFs are really quite blind). Female ADFs don't make noise.
    Both species have things called "Nuptial pads" on their forearms. Male ACFs will have a black line on the inside of their forearms and male ADFs will, indeed, have a white dot on their armpits.
    I will give the same warning that the other posters have given: If you haven't already, get the ADF and ACF in separate tanks. ACFs will happily eat their smaller cousins if given the chance. Please give each frog a nice, safe home.

Thread Information