Thread: White's Tree Frog hurting himself

Kmoonleaf

Default White's Tree Frog hurting himself

Hi frogforum. My precious white's tree frog, Mordin, has been behaving very strangely and it's worrying me a lot. Almost all the time, he shoves himself into the upper right-hand corner of his tank, and rubs his hands and nose against the top screen. I know the tank isn't too small, it's a new 18x18x24 inch and he's the only frog in there. The first thing I did was put tape on the screen so he wouldn't hurt himself on the rough mesh, but it doesn't seem to have helped much, as he still has a sizeable scrape on his nose. (i'll post pictures later). He also sometimes makes loud squeaking distress noises when he shoves his face in the corner.
    The only thing I could think of that might be wrong is that there aren't enough climbing and hiding spaces in his tank so he's trying to escape and find one, because if I open the tank he always hops out and tries to climb behind my bed. It's true that his tank is pretty bare, so I've ordered him some more vines and leafy plants. They're in the mail though and won't be here until Monday. In the meantime, I put a small flowerpot in as a hiding spot, and moved a branch and some leaves into the upper right corner to try and stop him from sticking up there all the time. He just squishes himself over them like this.
    Name:  tumblr_nc199gJhT21qknsc9o1_500.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  58.7 KB
    Other than this he's perfectly healthy, eats and poops regularly. tank temperature is 80 fahrenheit and humidity is kept around 60%.

The scrape on his nose is getting worse and the distress noises really worry me (and wake me up in the middle of the night). Does anyone know why he is doing this? Can anything be done to help until the new plants arrive? I really can't afford a vet, can anything be done to help heal the scrape on his nose?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: White's Tree Frog hurting himself

Something is going on in his environment that is causing him to try to escape it. Please copy/paste and fill out the questionnaire so everyone can try to help you. Sorry your froggy is acting strange

- try to answer as many questions as possible.
    - if you do not know an answer to a question say "I don't know" rather than leaving it blank.

QUESTIONS

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species)
    2----please include a photo of the frog
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" )
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? )
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined
    8----what is the typical humidity level
    9----what temperature is maintained
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically)
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc)
    13---what kind of water is used
    -----for misting
    -----for the frog's soaking dish
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific
    15---enclosure set up:
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials
    16---when is the last time the frog ate
    17---have you found poop lately
    18---how often is the frog fed
    19---what size feeder is given
    20---what other feeders are used as treats
    21---what is the frog's main food source
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often
    24---calcium - what brand and how often
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time
    26---approximate age of the frog
    27---how long have you owned the frog
    28---who cared for the frog before you
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves)
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no)
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication:
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose
    -----was medication prescribed by a herp vet
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Kmoonleaf

1----what 'kind' of frog is it White's tree frog
    2----please include a photo of the frog
    Name:  tumblr_nbebpgAT351sa5atio1_1280.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  45.4 KB
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure
    Name:  tumblr_nb3ez4ah6H1sa5atio1_1280.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  67.9 KB (doesn't show the whole tank, sorry it's all I have at the moment)
    4----size of enclosure 18" x 18" x 24"
    5----# on inhabitants - No other inhabitants
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate no
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined no tank mate
    8----what is the typical humidity level 60%
    9----what temperature is maintained 80 during the day, 75 at night
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure 2 small red heat lamps above the tank
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically) 1 UVB light (on during the day, off at night) Unsure of wattage/brand/uvb levels
    12---describe enclosure maintenance water bowls cleaned daily, misted 2-3 times a day, poop cleaned on sight, everything cleaned once a month
    13---what kind of water is used
    -----for misting dechlorinated reverse-osmosis water
    -----for the frog's soaking dish dechlorinated tap water
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand yes, repti-safe
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific eco-earth coconut fiber
    15---enclosure set up:
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned The last time I cleaned the tank was at The beginning of the month when I transferred him from his old tank to the new one - Washed everything down with hot water and replaced the substrate
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric 1 bunch of fabric leaves, 1 plastic branch with fabric leaves
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials 1 tall, smooth driftwood. No background, but the tank is up against a wall.
    16---when is the last time the frog ate yesterday, 3 crickets
    17---have you found poop lately yes, today
    18---how often is the frog fed every other day
    19---what size feeder is given large crickets (as long as his mouth is wide)
    20---what other feeders are used as treats none21---what is the frog's main food source crickets
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed bowl fed
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often none
    24---calcium - what brand and how often fluker's calcium dust on the crickets
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time no - unless it was before I owned him
    26---approximate age of the frog mature - unknown exact age
    27---how long have you owned the frog 3 months
    28---who cared for the frog before you pet store
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred captive bred
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves) once every few days, no gloves, just clean and misted hands
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area low traffic, high noise sometimes though (there's a tv in the next room)
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no) no quarantine
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication: no
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose
    -----was medication prescribed by a herp vet

RonnieR

I have noticed that my female whites tree frog has been doing this behaviour also recently for the last week or two, she keeps pushing her nose into the corners of the tank as well but she doesnt make any noises like your frog is. Hope you suss out what is causing your frog to behave like this.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It looks really really dry in there. With no live plants to hold in the humidity, the heat bulbs on top and how dry the coco fibre looks, I doubt that it is maintaining a 60% humidity. While waiting for the vines and plants (some branches would help too) cover 3 sides of the tank to help reduce that open feel and the stress. The big tank doesn't do much good if you do not utilize the height, which you have figured out. My tree frogs almost never touch the ground (usually only to get to the water feature or to catch a cricket that escaped the bowl.) The coco fiber should be damp and clump together when you squeeze it but not dripping. Unfortunately, there is no great humidity monitor, but those analogue ones are horrible. I use the nat geo digital one and it seems to be working well so far. I have an exo terra digital but it reads 99% all the time, so I wouldn't tend to recommend that one. I would also get some vitamins, I use repashy, there is a dusting schedule on here somewhere, my computer isn't working well enough to pull up a link for you at the moment. Crickets should be gutloaded and no bigger than the space between his eyes.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Kmoonleaf

Name:  tumblr_nc3x5vhV6U1qknsc9o1_500.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  90.6 KB here's a picture of the whole tank, Mordin is currently wedged under the leaves on the right. That last picture was taken right after the new tank was set up, so it was drier than usual in that picture. I know my hygrometer works, I guess I have no way of judging whether it's totally accurate or not though. Thank you for the input and advice. I've covered 3 sides of his tank with towels, hopefully it helps.

The plants I'm getting are another leafy wall plant just like the one I already have in there, a long leafy vine to stretch across the whole tank, and a tall fabric floor plant with broad leaves for sitting and hiding.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default White's Tree Frog hurting himself

If your temp gauge is analog too, I'm guessing the reason is mainly its too hot and too dry. The environment is stressing him out too much and the water bowl isnt enough. How big is your heat lamp (wattage)?

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Kmoonleaf

I have one 60 watt and one 40 watt because the tank is so big. I guess it could be on the warm side if my thermometer is inaccurate? I've tried removing the 40 watt but then it seems too cold (thermometer reads 75 during the day, 60-65 at night)

another weird thing he's doing, but I didn't mention because it's not hurting him: he sometimes removes the water (splashes it out? I have no idea how he does it because I've never caught him doing it) in the smaller, shallower water bowl and replaces it all with substrate. He only does that with the small water bowl, never the larger one. He's been doing this ever since I moved him into the new tank, and he's only been fixated on the corner for about a week, so I don't think they're related. Could this behavior be indicating something?
    Last edited by Kmoonleaf; September 18th, 2014 at 03:27 PM.

I agree, I think it's too hot, and he's trying to escape the heat. It was nice and cool and shady behind your bed.

Kmoonleaf

Okay - humidity is up, substrate has been moistened, towels are around the tank, and I turned off the 40watt heat lamp. Mordin is sleeping right now, I guess I'll see if he decides to leave the corner when he wakes up! Thanks for the help everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmoonleaf View Post
    Okay - humidity is up, substrate has been moistened, towels are around the tank, and I turned off the 40watt heat lamp. Mordin is sleeping right now, I guess I'll see if he decides to leave the corner when he wakes up! Thanks for the help everyone.
    Good luck!

Nationality
    [United States]

Your frog has no place to hide. They need to feel safe, undercover in bushes and trees. I have 4 in the 36x18x36 & I also agree that the temps are to high. Here's a video of my army of 4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feQR...aCbSm4SoRUcSOA
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Kmoonleaf

Update: he woke up, went down to soak for a little bit, but then went back up to the corner. However he doesn't seem as intent on wedging himself up there and rubbing his nose on the screen, he's just kind of hanging out in the area. I guess it's good until the plants arrive?

Nationality
    [United States]

Good Morning,

I agree with Gail--- he needs more places to climb and hide.

" in the smaller, shallower water bowl and replaces it all with substrate"
    This is a wonderful observation you have made. It clearly indicates that the humidity is/was too low.

Keep us posted

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Kmoonleaf

Name:  tumblr_nc7jt4M6HP1qknsc9o1_500.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  81.0 KB
    here's a picture of the tank right now - the plants still haven't arrived. I put in the foam background that came with the tank because it makes the tank darker and gives Mordin one more surface to climb. The only reason I took it out in the first place was because I heard crickets will eat into it and nest in it, but I bowl feed him so that's not even something I needed to be worried about.
    Name:  tumblr_nc7jwtMtpo1qknsc9o1_500.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  78.3 KB
    Here's Mordin doing some flat-hiding in the water bowl, and the scrape on his nose. I haven't heard him make distress noises since I changed all the things. He seems to be hanging out around the tank like normal (on top of the driftwood or flowerpot) during the day, but every morning when I wake up, he's back in the corner. Yesterday when I got home from school, he was sleeping on the side of that water bowl, with no water in it. It wasn't replaced with substrate though. Weird.

Nationality
    [United States]

When you say "no water in it", do you mean that the water evaporated? If so, the humidity is most certainly too low. If it is, as a temporary measure, you can cover part of the screen top with a small towel, and mist regularly.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kmoonleaf

No, it's not evaporating. I have the top of the tank partially covered and I mist at least 2/3 times a day. Most days the water remains in the bowl all day, but sometimes Mordin removes it. (splashes it all out of the bowl, presumably.)

Thread Information