Thread: Some advice regarding possible impaction in White's Tree Frog

Scunner

Default Some advice regarding possible impaction in White's Tree Frog

Hello. I'm a new member looking for a some advice regarding one of my WTF's.

I've been worrying about the size of her abdomen for a while, it never seems to decrease in size and whilst there are signs of defecation in the enclosure I'm not sure who it belongs to. All 3 frogs are active but this one is the least active of the 3 and has always been the largest. She feeds freely and shows no obvious signs of discomfort. Abdomen is soft not hard and there are no other indications of ill health on any of the frogs. They have always lived together (mostly) happily and have plenty of room.

Gabriel is the frog I'm worried about.

Name:  Gabriel.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  98.7 KB

The other two for comparison:

Yaffle

Name:  Yaffle.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  113.8 KB

Kikka

Name:  Kikka.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  94.8 KB

Enclosure

Name:  Enclosure.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  104.5 KB

I appreciate these are not great photos, they are not terribly accommodating of photography. Perhaps it's worrying over nothing and it is just her natural shape variation. None of them have particularly large typanic ridges and if memory serves weigh around 50g +/- 5-10g. I have it written down somewhere as we keep a log but I place at the moment.

Any advice would be grateful. Hope I have given enough information.

Thanks for your time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUESTIONS

1----what 'kind' of frog is it? - White's Tree Frog
    2----please include a photo of the frog - Done
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure? - Done
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" ) - 90x90x45 cm / 35.4x35.4x17.7 Inches
    5----# on inhabitants - 3 frogs no appreciable size difference
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate? No.
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined? - No and Not Applicable
    8----what is the typical humidity level? - 35-95% This is air humidity. Ground level where they rest is always at least 50%+
    9----what temperature is maintained? - 25.5-28.5 Air Temp.
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure? - Full length UTH mat below enclosure and IR Basking Spot (not light producing)
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically) - 1x 9w Arcadia Jungle Dawn 1 x Exo Terra Natural Light Ion 15W / 2x Blue LED moonlight
    12---describe enclosure maintenance? - Water changes 2x week, constant spot cleaning.
    13---what kind of water is used? - RO water used for spraying, misting and soaking with Tetra Aquasafe
    14---material(s) used for substrate? - Blimey. Combination of coir, peat moss and orchid bark (Extra large chips) over expanded clay pellets and membrane all topped with various leaves.
    15---Enclosure set up: New enclosure (about 2 months old) having discovered leak from old one. Cleaned with F10SC. All plants live various species. Some broken rotting wood in substrate to keep microfauna going, 2 long tree branches, one large jungle root type stuff. Background standard polystyrene cleaned with F10 also.

16---when is the last time the frog ate? - This evening
    17---have you found poop lately? - Yes
    18---how often is the frog fed? - once or twice a week depending on size and type of food given.
    19---what size feeder is given? Medium to adult crickets, locusts and dubia roaches (not winged). Generally smaller than larger.
    20---what other feeders are used as treats? - Very occasionally waxworms or meal worms but they don't really like them anyway.
    21---what is the frog's main food source? Mostly own bred other than locusts form regular on-line retailer.
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed
    23---vitamins? - Repashy.
    24---calcium? - Repashy.
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time? No.
    26---approximate age of the frog? - Just over 1 Year.
    27---how long have you owned the frog? - 1 Year
    28---who cared for the frog before you? - No one other than my wife.
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred? - Captive Bred.
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves) Frogs handled infrequently not set period, whenever they seem eager to come out which is most of the time! No gloves but clean hands, always washed first and thoroughly rinsed then sprayed with usual misting water.
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area? - Medium traffic I suppose.
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no)? Yes, 1 month.
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication: No.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Some advice regarding possible impaction in White's Tree Frog

Have you ever had their fecals tested for parasites? I am not sure what would be going on, hopefully someone stops on who is better at diagnosing things. You missed question 22, do you bowl feed or does the food roam the enclosure? That would help decide whether they may have taken in a mouthful of substrate to help become impacted.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

I also am not good at diagnosing frogs, but one thing I would recommend is separating her form the others in a quarantine type setup - Unprinted paper towels dampened with dechlorinated water and a small water bowl (you can add something for her to climb on if you like, but this is a temp home while we work to find out what if anything is wrong with her. Feed her in there and everything for a few days and monitor her. See if she does produce a normal poop and how she moves and acts.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yaffle looks pretty bloated also though (I have no experience with whites, so could that just be a case of obesity? They do not look 'fat' though) and Kikka has a lump sticking out his side...just the position he was in during the picture maybe?
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Scunner

Thank you to everyone for their comments.

Regarding question 22 (oops!) they are usually fed in a large box. I occasionally pop a few locusts in to give them something to do but it's not very often and they don't last long enough to do much anyway.

No fecal testing, no. Got some Panacur we use on the reps sometimes if fecals prove positive but wouldn't use it without knowing. It's a good idea and might be worth pursuing. Not the easiest thing to get done where we live, sadly.

I've thought about quarantining but my wife thinks I'm worrying unnecessarily. Couldn't hurt could it.

Been trying to get some profile shots but as soon as the door is opened they see it as an invitation to jump out and have a play! Kikka does appear asymmetrical, I will check this. She is the most energetic of the lot. Always leaping about and causing havoc trying to figure out how to escape. I always worry about injuries but I don't know what to do...how do you stop a frog being a frog?

We did try a bath in warm water but she wasn't too happy about staying put!

I'll try and get more revealing photos and think about the suggestions.

Many thanks for your help.

Thread Information