Thread: Whites tongue sticking out?

RonnieR

Default Whites tongue sticking out?

Firstly I'm new to this forum so hi to all.
    I have two whites tree frogs, a male and a female that are both about 18 months old. I noticed the other that I thought my female whites frog had the tip of its tongue sticking out a little from its mouth, so I got her out and it did a bit. I just checked her again tonight and its the same as the night before. So on a closer look her bottom lip has a little "dip" at the tip of her mouth and is no longer straight. This frog is really active and jumps around like a acrobat and bangs into the glass all the time, so I'm wondering has she damaged her lip from this which is why the tongue sticks out a bit ??
    Anyone else had this or seen it before??

Name:  SDC16202.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  88.2 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Whites tongue sticking out?

Hello!! Welcome to the frog forum!!

That mouth of hers does not look normal. Is she having trouble eating? Besides the symptoms you have posted, is anything wrong with her behavior? If she is fine, just keep a close eye as long as there are no complications. If a problem arises, take her to a vet

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Whites tongue sticking out?

Are you using calcium supplements?
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

RonnieR

She behaves normal, got a very good appetite, well active and mobile around the tank. I give both frogs calcium supplement once a week

Nationality
    [United States]

How is frog doing? Can you check CA supplement expiration date? Also, can you get Repashy's Vitamin A Plus and give to frogs twice a month?
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

RonnieR

Hi, frog is still fine, eating and moving around really well. I have checked the expiration date for both the vitamin and calcium supplements and they are in date. My missus did say that yesterday though the female frog let out a little sqwark when being fed a mealworm, Ive never heard her do this.

Nationality
    [United States]

When a female WTF is highly irritated, it will squawk. Guess she was voicing her opinion about the meal worm. Mine LOVE the wax and butter worms as treats.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You may want to try placing one drop of liquid Vitamin A on the back of the frog once a week. This will prevent "short tongue syndrome" and reduce feeding problems.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]

Just for future reference, Terry, where would one find vitamin A?
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tgampper View Post
    You may want to try placing one drop of liquid Vitamin A on the back of the frog once a week. This will prevent "short tongue syndrome" and reduce feeding problems.
    What is "short tongue syndrome"? How does Vit A help it and is this human grade Vit A oil from a health food store or specifically for amphibians?
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Anyone have an answer to the above questions...? I'm starting to notice off and on what might be suspicious slow tongue response from my juvenile WTFs, Honey and possibly Shirley... or it might just be that they don't like their tongues hitting the paper towel substrate, but either way I would sure like to know more about this vitamin A thing... My girls were getting their crickets dusted once a week with Reptocal (with calcium and Vit D3), I've gone to twice a week now since seeing the tongue thing, and they have been getting crickets gut loaded on Fluker's high calcium cricket diet. They also have coccidiosis (med is on the way) and Shirley has had a head tilt thing for a few days which I think MAY be due to hitting her head on the tank wall while diving for a cricket as she was shedding (skin had her head pulled to one side). I don't know, but I've been doing everything right and I just keep having issues with these guys... I knew I shouldn't have bought from Petco, but yeah. I just hope they will pull out of their problems
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Can't really help, maybe do what the other poster suggested or make sure they get a multivitamin with A and gut load the crickets with carrots?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Did you ever have them fecal tested, Thumper? That is where I would start, a parasite load can show itself in many symptoms. Not an amphib, but my new kitty had 2 different parasites. She kept getting upper respiratory and eye infections, had little energy, and wasn't cleaning herself. She was on abx at the humane society and again when she came home with us. The infections still came back. She ended up on 2 different meds for parasites and the infections all cleared up. She didn't have diarrhea or anything, but she still had a good load of parasites. So I would start with a fecal test if you haven't done so yet. If you have, I apologize, I haven't been on the forum much lately.

EDIT I just re-read your post and see that you have meds on the way. The parasites could be a huge explanation for their behavior.

As for the vitamin A, Repashy sells some. Because it is fat soluble, you have to be very careful not to overdose it. I believe most people only use it once a month, anyone who uses it can correct me though, I have yet to add this to my frogs' diets.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

15. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks Amy. Yeah I was wondering about the Vit A, but I just read the Reptocal and it's in there, along with calcium and a lot of other vitamins. It says to use ONLY once or twice a week. I dust the crickets on Sunday, but last Weds I gave them more dusted crickets. not sure if I should keep up the twice a week dusting or just stick with Sunday. I try to dust them pretty good because they get dumped into the cage with the damp paper towels and I don't want a lot of it getting rubbed off before anyone can grab them. I'm probably not going to dust them tonight because I've been putting a few extra crickets in with Shirley and Honey so Shirl has a chance to get enough, seeing she's had some misses with her head tilt. She spent the night in the water dish after eating (so did Honey) and when she got out to go to bed in her plant (she has spent some days in the water) she grabbed a cricket on her way out. There's more than enough crickets in there at the moment to give them a decent feed tonight.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Thread Information