Thread: Please help! soap poisioning :(

Tristo

Unhappy Please help! soap poisioning :(

Hello all
    New to the forum and in desperate need of advice to help my 4 green best companions any input would be greatly appreciated. so the long an short is for all the research i have done to find help on treating frogs that have come into contact with soap or cleaning agents it has yeilded no help all i read is time and time again how bad cleaning agents are to frogs i had a little accident with my green tree frogs during a routine enclosure clean they ended up coated in the cleaning solution i use to clean their set up (it is a reptile and amphibian safe product) provided it doesnt contact the animals of course upon realizing what had happend and the distress they were in i instantly washed them off under the tap in slightly tepid water not knowing what else i could do and placed them back into their usual home this incident happend 4 days ago i have grave fears for them as they are clearly not their normal selves they refuse to eat, are loosing wieght, breathing shallow and have very pink raw skin on their under bellies and their eyes are milky. Please can anyone please offer any advice on how to make them more comfortable whilst they try heal and see if they pull through from what i have researched its a bit of a wait and see scenario if they recover i realize they have basically been chemically burnt i feel absolutely terrible for them any advice would be eternaly appreciated.
    P.S i have tried to humanely force feed them as per a link of a video i found on this forum but with no success i fear if they do not eat they wont have the strength to recover

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Please help! soap poisioning :(

Force feeding stressed out frogs due to a possible chemical burn can make things worse, by the handling of damaged skin . Think they really need a vet visit now; any local herp veterinarians available?

Until you do so; only thing can think of, is to make an unflavored Pedialyte or similar baby electrolyte solution (10% Pedialyte and 90% dechlorinated tap water) and using a dropper; apply to their body (clear of mouth & nostrils) at least twice a day. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

You need to bathe them in de-chlorinated water that is about half their height. Pedialyte or any unflavored electrolyte replacement will help some. If you can find a fish antibiotic called Melafix you can dilute it in dechlorinated water at 2 drops of regular strength to 1 cup water and use that to flush their eyes. You would need to do it twice a day. That will help with eye clouding, but you really need a vet for chemical burns.

Bathing to flush their systems is all you can do at home. You would have to keep them in shallow water that would have to be changed every 3 to 4 hours to attemp to flush out toxins.
    Last edited by GrifTheGreat; September 17th, 2014 at 09:03 PM.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That's very sad I hope they pull through. Keep us updated! *HUGGS!*
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Tristo

Hi again a quick update on Argo,Riddick,Pillylad and Fat ****
    First of let me extend a huge thank you to grifthegreat and mentat your time and advice is greatly appreciated
    Unfortunately the town in which i live in australia doesnt have a vet qualified in frogs or such exotic creatures i probably shouldve mentioned this in my first post so it looks like home remodies and finger crossing is all i have to go on to save my friends. After much searching i did eventually find an unflavoured product similar to pedialyte its called repalyte i hope this is fit for purpose tonight i mixed the solution 10% repalyte to 90% dechlorinated water as suggested i have let them soak in a shallow wading pool of it for 2 hours before changing it to straight dechlorinated water to let them further soak in order to try detoxify their skin as suggested i also did find the melafix and have begun to treat their eyes the skin on their legs and bellies is begining to shed or malt i assume this would be a normal thing to happen after what happend? Much in the same way as we peel after severe sun burn they still are not eating which concerns me hugely as they were due to be fed on the day of the event in question they have not eaten for the best part of 12 days 2 of the smaller frogs are looking very thin an skeletal is this a serious problem? the other 2 larger frogs although slightly thinning havnt changed much in physical size or shape at all the only other question i have is how long would you suggest i continue treating them with the repalyte? is there such a thing as to much of that stuff it yeilds negative affects or do i continue treatment until my green friends appear to be a bit more of their usual selves? im trying to remain optomistic of their recovery figuring if they have survived 5 days they must be fighting for me i will keep you all posted on their progress thank you all again

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

*Keeping fingers crossed too!* Come on little guys...!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]

Glad you found the Repalyte; if similar to Pedialyte it should not hurt the frogs. Melafix is natural antibiotic; so hopefully it's good for them. I've used it for couple weeks with no negative issues and discontinued use when problem resolved.

I'm not a fan of force feeding; but if frogs are emaciated, you might need to do so. Issue is their skin is "burned" and holding to force feed a struggling frog might cause more skin damage. You will have to make that determination based on frog appearance. If it comes to that, recommend try to find Fluker's Reptaboost or similar product, and use it according to bottle directions for worse case scenario. If any of the frogs start eating after Repalyte treatment; dust the food for a week in Reptaboost; then continue with normal CA/D3 and multivitamin supplements. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Tristo

Hi all sad update pilly lad died yesterday and fat s#$t looks like he wont make it through the night im continuing bathing electrolyte treatment but I guess it was all a bit much for them argo still looks quite ill although I did finally get them all to take some herp boost the other night I think riddick is gonna be ok he is slowly becoming more active and only has minor redness to his belly I can only assume he didnt get exposed to the solution as much as the others im so sad for my imminent loss I hate seeing them suffer can anyone tell me if putting a frog in the fridge or freezer is a humane way of euthanasing them? I dont have the heart to dong him on the head merp

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Please help! soap poisioning :(

Oh Lordy no, don't put him in the fridge or freezer or dong him on the head. The freezer is a long, painful way for them to die. http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...ng-help-2.html here is a list of humane ( as humane as possible) ways to euthanize a frog. It looks like the most common way is to use Orajel. I am no expert on this, but I would make absolutely sure that it is the best option for the poor little guy, and before you do anything do a lot of research on how much to put on, where exactly to put it, if you need to dilute it etc etc so that your frog doesn't suffer any more than it already has.

You might also want to consider calling or talking to a herp vet (since you can't take him to one) just to be sure you've done everything you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information