Thread: Tadpole to gray/green tree frogs - help

Greywolf4745

Default Tadpole to gray/green tree frogs - help

Hello and thanks for viewing my post.

About 2 1/2 months ago I was removing the cover to my pool because I needed a new liner installed and noticed a lot of tadpoles swimming around. I didn't have the heart to suck them up with the pump so I went out and bought a 20gallon fish tank and rescued as many as I could. I will say that the past few months of watching them transform has been very interesting and I began seeing frogs about 3 weeks ago. I have done some reading on them I realized I needed to remove them so I bought a 10gallon terrarium and began moving them over as they climbed out of the water.

I now have about 20 in the tank and there seems like there is plenty of room but I am assuming that there should only be X amount for this size tank. I have been buying fruit flys and recently began buying small crickets online so I can be sure they eat ok. Other than the little bit of reading I have done I know nothing about frogs. My goal was to keep them long enough so they can grow and then release them in a nearby park. I have grown fond of them as it is pretty cool to see them come up from a tadpole but I don't want them to die either. My tadpole rank still has about 20 of various stages so I am concerned about getting to many and causing all of them problems.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am in Baltimore, MD and I believe they are gray tree frogs although some are green. They are all about the same size and less then an inch right now.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Tadpole to gray/green tree frogs - help

if you were going to release them it should have been before now, but the fruit flies and crix are good. while they are small they might be ok for a while, but the bigger they get, the more they are competing for food and space. i would try to find homes for most of them. you can keep 2 in the 20 gallon as they are older, and i would tip it on it's side for height. there are conversion kits are Junglebox.com
    1.0.0 Husband
    0.2.0 Chinese Crested Powder Puff dogs
    2.1.0 American Hairless Terrier dogs
    1.0.0 horses
    2.0.0 Eastern Gray Treefrogs
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Tinctorius Azureus
    2.3.0 rosy boas

Greywolf4745

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenT View Post
    if you were going to release them it should have been before now, but the fruit flies and crix are good. while they are small they might be ok for a while, but the bigger they get, the more they are competing for food and space. i would try to find homes for most of them. you can keep 2 in the 20 gallon as they are older, and i would tip it on it's side for height. there are conversion kits are Junglebox.com
    So it's too late to release them? Not sure where I am going to find 20 takers for frogs in my area. Should I release the new frogs from the tadpole tank as soon as they start climbing? I was looking at some larger, taller, terrariums 36x18x36 but I do not see buying a larger tank if it would not house but a few frogs. If I should only house 2 in a 20gallon tank I am guessing it would not be many more in that tank.

i still have about 20 or so tadpoles so please let me know when I should release a new frog as I don't want to try and find homes for another 20.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I disagree, I would release them in the area that you found them. They are small enough that they should adapt and I doubt it's too cold yet by you.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Thread Information