Thread: Plants for a compleate noob.

Lexyfrog

Default Plants for a compleate noob.

I honestly tried really hard with the real plants i put in the enclosure but somehow i killed them. Well some are kind-of repairing on my window sil.

What would be the best plants to grow for a red eye tree frog enclosure thats 12 x 12 x 18? the humidity is 75 and the teprature is 27 c. I just feel that they need a little more cover. There fake plant isn't bad as fake plants go, but i'm sure one of my frogs is throwing a strop at me. I'm making that up but he did love the plant that i had to take out.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Plants for a compleate noob.

I'm sorry, but a 12x12x18 isn't suitable for a tree frog unless you just have a carpeted/paper towel bottom. With drainage, soil, and plants, you are reducing the vertical space to 12". You may be able to pot plants and stick them in, with fake plants being suctioned around the top of the tank. Normally it is recommended that for tree frogs, you have at least a 24" high tank, and a 12x12x18 is typically not considered a permanent enclosure. Maybe others more experienced than I will chime in

p.s: Good beginner plants are pothos and snake plants, and are really durable for all the hopping around of a tree frog
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lexyfrog

I have already been told this and it is just a tempory enclosure untill i move when i then have more space for a bigger enclosure for them. Which i will either go for the biggest tallest exo terra or i shall built my own one. The info over here for frogs is a tad limited. Hoping this will be soon, if now i a=shall do some serous jiggling in the new year and go ahead and make it bigger anyway.

Nationality
    [United States]

If it's temporary, I would just go with potted plants and plastic plants up high. It's super simple and easy for cleaning purposes and the such. When you do eventually upgrade, you can opt for a more natural, vivarium-like setup.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default Plants for a compleate noob.

Small tank, small frogs, it's all about scale. You can't use anything that would grow too big, like a snake plant (sansevieria) that josh suggested. They are great for larger tanks, but a smaller tank needs smaller plants. A pothos cutting or a vining philodendron would work, ficus pumilia (creeping fig) would be ok. Maybe a small cutting of a dracaena species would work ok.

The key to growing plants in a vivarium is lighting. If you have the correct lighting, everything else will fall in place provided you aren't swamping them with water.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Lexyfrog

I have for the time being opted for fake plants up high, and some java moss along the bottem, maily because i have loads of the stuff and i'm not sure my light really is good for growing anything.
    The frogs seem to really like it thats the main thing. I shall get some real plants when i do the bigger vivarium for them then. I have trouble growing 'little' plants.

Thread Information